We spend 5 nights in September 2009 in this superior 4 star hotel. We booked a junior suite on the second floor in the main hotel (not the residence) with a marvellous view on the Matterhorn. This hotel is well-situated and only a couple of minutes from the railway station. It is very quiet.
Here are our remarks of our stay:
* Good, efficient & friendly reception staff
* Breakfast buffet that is open till 10h30am so you have enough time in the morning.
* Our room was renovated and the room design was very nice. The flat screen TV was hidden in a closet (very good idea), perfume sticks, candles, free safe, big balcony, big shower, dressing gown, slippers and umbrella. Room is very clean.
* Sauna area is quite small but you have extra towels, spring water in self-service, etc. There is 1 bio sauna with herbs, 1 classic sauna, 1 hamman and 1 rest room with heated water beds. Just nice after a day in the mountains!
* View on the Matterhorn if you request this kind of room. The view in the morning when the sun comes up is really astonishing.
* Free internet
* Small but nice garden
* The hotel owns also the “Corbeau d’Or” which is a very good restaurant in Zermatt quoted 15 at GaultMillau. Half-board is very good as you have 5 “gourmet” dishes every evening. You can also choose from two different menus.
* In the dining room, a big television screen shows you the weather conditions, webcams, etc. Cocktails are very good at the bar in the evening. The fire place was burning every evening!
* When we left, we got a little present from the hotel owner to take home. Nice!
We didn’t like:
* The interior swimming pool (shared with another hotel) is a bit too cold even after some swimming. It is also very slippery when walking around so pay attention!
* Sauna & spa: the Kneipp treatment where you walk through hot & cold water was not working well. The hot water was really too hot and the jet streams were not working properly. Forget it!
* Service during evening supper: Either they were too tired or some staff was missing. Thus, the quality of service was variable from average to good. The wine selection was good but there was no wine waiter to advise you on local wines. For information, supper ends quite early around 10h30pm so in case you start rather late, you will find yourself alone in the big restaurant. But this is not the fault of the hotel…
* We found the bed a bit too soft. Also, they did not have junior suites with 1 big bed but only with twin beds. I do not know if the standard rooms are equipped with big beds or not.
* Bathroom is a bit small with only one wash-hand basin. You could expect having 2 for a junior suite.
* The hotel has been partially renovated so some parts are still quite old (70’s style) so you have a mix of old and new.
Conclusion: we liked this hotel very much and you get the right services for this superior 4-star hotel. We can recommend it if you intend to visit Zermatt. This is your typical modern Swiss hotel that is just excellent when spending your holidays in Switzerland. We rate this 4-star hotel as “very good”.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ..Welcome to a magical place! Hotel Mirabeau is a third generation family owned and managed property in Zermatt, Switzerland. The hotel is located in the calmer part of the town, with a majestic view on the Matterhorn and the surrounding Michabel Mountains. With our restaurant ZerMatta, and the 15 points Gault Milliau and Michelin featured gastronomic restaurant Corbeau d'Or as well as our bar and the Joseph's Wine Lounge our guests can enjoy fantastic Food and Wine - the fine art of living. The design of our two buildings is stylish yet alpin and our mountain spa features several saunas, steam baths and relaxation rooms, a newly build pool and jacuzzi as well as a large array of treatments; from couple wine-therapy to chocolate massages. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotel.de, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Mirabeau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mirabeau Hotel Zermatt