“Near Perfection”

Ranked #9 of 111 Hotels in Zermatt
East Anglia
“Near Perfection”
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Everything about this hotel is 5 star except its official rating.
Right from being picked up in the hotel buggy at the station, we found everthing to be superb. The check in was efficient and our cases already in the room when we went up to our upgraded "junior suite" on the top floor which did not have a balcony or terrace but the view was incredible. Lying in bed with an unobstructed view of the Matterhorn is pretty unforgettable. We had intially thought that we would have preferred a lesser room with a balcony but that view - WOW.
The bathroom was very spacious with a shower which was one of the roomiest outside of the USA. A small party would have been quite viable. Big fluffy robes were provided for using the pool or whatever plus the normal wide array of toiletries. The mini bar was not filled but we were asked at check-in if we would like it done.
The room decor was bright and modern with comfort throughout. Everything was as clean as a whistle.
Breakfast was superb. Champagne was available (free) if required. The range of food available ensured that you would only require a snack during the day. All international tastes were catered for with a huge range of teas and fresh brewed coffee which was ordered from the staff.
THE STAFF from start to finish ensured that our stay here was so good. They were genuinely helpful and friendly with an attitude which is so rare. The fact that most were young nubile girls and I am late 50s had nothing to do with it at all! Even the memsahib was completely taken with them. They were as formal or informal with the individual guests as they wanted them to be. The senior managers some who have been here 35 years ensure that standards are kept very high and no detail is ignored. eg in the afternoon fresh fruit juice is provided (help yourself)
Dinner is very popular. We stayed on half board basis but the special nights eg Fondue, 7 course Gala Dinner and the Barbeque with 20 (yes 20) different meats plus fish plus veggie options did not incur any financial surcharge. A great wine list with expert advice on selection just made things even better.
In summary, I have stayed in hotels in many countries and eaten in some of the top restaurants but I do believe that in terms of value for money that I have met its equal.
The only little criticism I can make is that the lift only went to the 5th floor and I had to walk up a flight of glass stairs. The glass did make me nervous (mild vertigo)
Zermatt seems like buzzing small town which I reckon would be pretty lively during the skiing season. Even during the summer there is good skiing at allitude.
There seemed to be a large percentage of elderly in town and at the hotel who seemed to be incredibly fit and thought nothing about walking up to 10,000 feet. I felt somewhat of a wimp.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — Glass stairs
5 Thank ChooksonTour

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
Surrey, UK
Reviewed 31 August 2008

We spent five nights at the Park Hotel Beau Site in Zermatt in August 2008. Only very rarely do we encounter a hotel that is difficult to fault: this was one of those occasions. The superior Matterhorn- view room we had booked was up-graded at check-in to a junior suite. The room was very comfortable, stylishly decorated, well-appointed and had a superb view of the mountain. Free wireless Internet access was provided (and the bandwidth was reasonably good) and use of the sauna and steam bath facilities was included in the room rate. The dining rooms were bright and pleasantly decorated and the food was of a consistently high standard. All the staff were efficient, cheerful and helpful. The hotel and restaurant management were much in evidence and this no doubt contributed to the very high standard achieved. I would thoroughly recommend the Park Hotel Beau Site in Zermatt and fully intend to make a return visit.

4 Thank Globetraveller1
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 August 2008

We stayed at the Parkhotel on a Tuesday night in August. The weather was not the best but the hotel was fantastic. We loved the room. It was large with a couch, TV, wood paneled closets, and a great view. The bathroom was spacious with both and separate stand up shower. Plus they have towel warmers, a personal favorite.

The hotel has a nice blend of being cozy, but large enough to have all the amenities you want like a sauna, pool, and ski storage.

The location was good. It was far enough away from the main party area to keep the noise down but close enough you can find your way home after the bars close.

The staff was fantastic. My wife left our passports in the room and the front desk mailed them to our next hotel in St. Moritz. I really cannot think of any negatives. It was one of my favorite stays ever.

• Liked — The rooms are a nice blend of modern with a cozy warm feeling of the hotel's history
  • Disliked — Everything was good- the only "bad" thing was having to walk up the hill to the hotel, but come on- it is the Alps
3 Thank Machaveli1
Wales
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I booked 'two deluxe rooms with views of the Matterhorn' for four nights at this hotel 11 months ago as part of a tour of Switzerland to mark the 40th wedding anniversary. We were accompanied by my sister in law and her husband. When we arrived our companions were shown to their room first ( Room105) and it had a fantastic outlook onto the Matterhorn. When my wife and I were then taken to our room, however, I looked out of the window and couldn't even see the Matterhorn. I was fuming. I complained to the management, pointing out the importance of the occasion for us, and the two persons I spoke two couldn't understand my complaint, saying that we could see the Matterhorn if we went out onto the balcony. I said I could probably see it just as well if I went out onto the road. In fairness, the management did look to see if they had an alternative room but the hotel was full. This may seem a small, insignificant point to some but to my wife and myself this was a megga disappointment having booked the hotel nearly a year ahead. We felt we had been conned. Such a description would never be allowed in the UK. Apart from this, however, we found the hotel to be was absolutely superb. We paid about £200 a room a night, which included half board, and the four-course dinners were excellent. The room itself, too, was of a high quality with comfortable beds and top drawer furnishings. When we arrived back in our room after our first dinner there was a bottle of champagne waiting for us, with a note congratulating my wife and myself on our anniversary. It was, I suppose, a way of soft soaping us but, nonetheless, it was a nice gesture and much appreciated. The hotel also had sunbeds and an indoor pool, which looked nice, though we didn't make use of it. There were robes and slippers in the room that we could have used to go to the pool. I have been fortunate to have stayed in some very nice hotels in Europe over many years and this was undoubtedly one of the nicest. I will certainly book to stay there again when I next visit Zermatt. I strongly advise anyone thinking of staying there and wishing the bonus of a view over the Matterhorn to get written confirmation that the Matterhorn can be seen from the bedroom, not the bedroom balcony outside.

• Liked — Quality of furnishings in a large, deluxe room
  • Disliked — Was not given the room with a view over the Matterhorn that we had booked
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank Cardi1
Belfast
Reviewed 22 June 2008

We spent a week at the Beausite over Christmas and it was superb . The food was excellent and the staff friendly and welcoming . The rooms were are a good size and comfortable but try and get one with a view of the Matterhorn .
The pool facilities and sauna are first class. The bus for the Furi ski lift is only 100 meters away and the Sunnegga cable car is a five minute walk . After a hard day on the slopes you can relax in the comfortable lounge with views over Zermatt and the Matterhorn .

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed 7 May 2008

My wife and Ieturned to this hotel after a 25 year absence. I am pleased to report that we were treated with the same wonderful service that we experienced in 1983. We even remembered some of the same staff from the prior visit.. The food served in the dining room under the meal plan was varied and well presented. Our server was willing to provide us with an additional entrée if we requested. They have a wonderful cheese selection each night which is quite filling along with a good breakfast buffet. One of the things we enjoyed most was an opportunity to sit down after a ski day and share a cup of tea and a pastry with the other guests.

• Liked — Staff service
  • Disliked — Size of room
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Screename25
amsterdam
Reviewed 22 March 2008

Two bed,two bath beautiful suite.small hard beds, a common problem en suisse. Staff very helpfull, got tea pot and cups to make tea in room, note-there is no room service. Have own table for dinner each night, good service ,food and wines, vegetarian option daily, piano player -classic.Swimming pool heaven in the early morn and hell after 3 pm- noisy children fron every corner of europe. Church bells are noisy. Take an electric taxi to ski lift. Daughter and I cancelled booking for next year after checking out Mt.Cervinia hotel , see that review.

• Liked — tower suite
  • Disliked — beds
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family