“If you don't like this hotel you shouldn't travel”
Review of Admiral Hotel

Admiral Hotel
Ranked #72 of 111 Hotels in Zermatt
New Jersey
“If you don't like this hotel you shouldn't travel”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

This hotel is indescribably beautiful with all it's woodwork and furnishings. We sat on our balcony with a perfect view of the Matterhorn. It was so clear that we were able to take pictures from the balcony. Bedroom was large with the dreaded European double beds. Bath was spacious and clean. Easy walk to train station, although hotel picked us up and later delivered us back to the train station as a courtesy, and short walk to town. The owner, Karin Julen, was most helpful in providing information as well as a good breakfast. Great Hotel.

Room Tip: I believe they all face the Matterhorn but if not ask for one that does. Try Potters (it's not...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank ArthurNewJersey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cary, Illinois
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Attention to detail abounds in this incredibly cozy, rather luxurious chalet-inspired boutique hotel. The staff was SO friendly. But the most noteworthy thing about my two night stay at the Admiral was my quality of sleep. I slept with the French doors open to the street below. It got very cool at night and I could hear the run off water from the Matterhorn through the night. Bundled up in fluffy down comforters, I slept in my giant wooden bed with a belly full of delicious Swiss fondue. Absolutely wonderful.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank nphummel
Liverpool
Reviewed 6 December 2009

We will be making our 3rd stay there over Xmas.
For us its perfect, may not have the luxury of other Zermatt hotels, but its spotlessly clean, friendly and relaxing. Plus it has a great position, away from the noise of Bahnhofstrasse, 100m to Sunegga lift and right next to the bus stop for Klein Matterhorn lifts

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mark William K
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 March 2009

The Admiral is a very nice and quiet hotel with good rooms, bathrooms and a nice wellness area. The Proscecco wiht breakfast is a nice touch! The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location of the hotel is great for skiers, accross the Sunegga lifts and 50 mtrs from the busstop to the Matterhorn lift.
It being March we paid almost 300 Francs per night. Was it worth it? Only because it is in Zermatt and in high season. The website makes the hotel look fancier than it is in reality. We would definitely go back but if you expect luxury you will need to go to one of the fancier (and much more expensive!) places. This was nice but not special.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Athens
Reviewed 30 January 2007

When I decided to go to Zermatt I had a look at all hotels/garni between 120-160 euros/night. Admiral caught my eye because I liked a lot the room which seemed spacious and comfortable. When we arrived I realised that the picture that was shown on the web was Admiral's one and only suite. I thought this was a bit deceiving as there was no mention in the site about different sized rooms. I had even asked the size of the room and I was told it was about 35 sm. not even close.

However when i got over the initial disapointment and I had a better look at the room, I saw a cute room with a wooden ceiling, very clean, good quality toilet paper (yes it does matter!!), nice bathroom with view of the Matterhorn, and generally well maintained. The balcony itself was not used much because it sat right in front of Cornergrat station and as such it was not as romantic. generally the location was central, opposite to sunnega paradise (one of three major ski areas), and close to the second ski area. also the bus stop was very close to the hotel. In retrospect i would have prefered somewhere more towards the centrer. Beware: centre is not exactly by the river but one street up.. Admiral's breakfast was good quality but limited ie I wished to have some hot breakfast too. (boiled eggs does not count as hot - omellette and bacon does). Generally the hotel was very clean which was nice to have but on the entrance and on the way to the sauna there was a weird smell, not unpleasant but distinctive...

Overall a good stay but as i was hoping to combine romance, skiing with a bit of luxury I was somehoe disapointed. We had a great time there, but given the choice I would stay somewhere else...Again, my husband was very happy with Admiral and wanted nothing more. I seemed to be the demanding one.

Stayed January 2007