“This place is incredible”
Review of Coeur des Alpes

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Zermatt
Coeur des Alpes
Ranked #1 of 109 Hotels in Zermatt
Santa Maria, California
“This place is incredible”
Reviewed 16 October 2007

I cannot say enough good things about The Coeur des Alpes. We found this place through trip advisor and didn't think it could live up to the great reviews it had received.

We booked this as part of a trip the revolved around my husband climbing the Matterhorn. I knew I would be on my own for at least one night and wanted a place I would be comfortable. The staff did a great job of taking care of me and made me a light dinner as I received text messages from husband on the mountain. Our room was great and we probably had the one of the smaller rooms in the hotel. Comfy bed, plenty of room and we had a ton of gear with us. Plenty of areas to hang out, great wellness center and wonderful breakfasts, snacks and a bar for guests.

The hotel is like a 'W", very modern, the owner's brother is a big modern designer with a hotel of his own behind the Coeur des Alpes and desgin studio/gallery/movie theater in town. The hospitality they extended was most appreciated. The staff picked us up and dropped us off in electric cart. The entry to this place is awesome, you feel like you are entering a club with black marble, roses and these wild chandeliers and go up through the mountain in an elevator. Unlike any place I have stayed before. This is a popular destination due to the great word of mouth so make your reservation early.

• Liked — Great hospitality
  • Disliked — I liked everything
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Solushan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Korean first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 3 October 2007

All I can say is "wow". It was so stylish, even on the second day I couldn't believe we were actually in a real hotel and not walking into the pages of Architectural Digest. And yet the staff was so warm and friendly we didn't feel intimidated by it. I second all of the fantastic reviews this place has received. I especially liked the see-through glass steps leading down to the lobby, although I gripped the bannister really hard before taking that first step each morning! Since most reviewers described staying in a suite, I'll briefly describe our room, booked as a "big double room", but probably a "junior suite" in any other hotel. It opened into a small sitting area, with the bed in a separate alcove; wood and tile floors, no carpet. The flat-panel TV swiveled so it could be viewed from either area. Lots of storage space. The bathroom was gorgeous but small; it needed a little more counter space or a few spare hooks for hanging things. The room also had a small terrace, which was a nice surprise. Keep in mind that these rooms face North, towards another hotel, not towards the Matterhorn or Zermatt.

In general the hotel was so well kept up it could have been built yesterday; I was surprised to hear it was already 10 years old.

The spa area for this hotel is also amazing: a pool, sauna, steam room, etc for only 13 guest rooms!! What hotel does this? We took full advantage every night, and only saw another guest in the pool once.

Stay here. You won't regret it.

• Liked — Gorgeous lobby, beautiful room, friendly staff, lovely spa area
  • Disliked — Bathroom needed more storage space
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank travelerfromsj
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed 30 August 2007

We booked the Couer des Alpes because of all the great reviews on TripAdvisor, and because of its number one ranking. I understand that many of the hotels in Zermatt are really good, so I wanted to see just why this one is ranked at the top. I now know why!

It is almost a shame to reveal details of the magical entrance to this hotel. It is the most theatrical entrance to any hotel I've ever stayed in. I felt like we were entering the Phantom of the Opera's domain, all black walls and candle light! We had been picked up at the train station by a young woman commandeering an electric cart, and whisked to the end of the village closest to the Matterhorn. Literally two houses stood between us and that magnificent mountain. We walked through a bored out section of the Alps, so it is definitely Les Couer des Alpes. Inside the main tunnel to the hotel, we came to a sleek elevator, which whisked us up past the shimmering pool to the reception area. There, we were greeted by a staff member, who immediately invited us to the terrace for a glass of bubbly, while we comfortably took care of the business of registering. All the while, the mountain loomed over us. While we were sitting there, the owner came in and immediately greeted us as old friends. She is very charming, warm and hospitable.

We were shown to room 201, a one bedroom suite. A large pitcher of ice water was set out to refresh us. The materials used in the room are of top quality. We had a wrap around deck with two chairs, table and a chaise lounge. From the deck and our most comfortable bed, we had an excellent view of the Matterhorn. We had plenty of room to spread out, and only wished we were staying more than two nights.

The breakfast was first-rate. The service was friendly and knowledgeable. On our first afternoon, we were directed to a wonderful mountain inn for a late lunch. We could help ourselves to tea at any time of the day. There were sitting areas in lots of different areas, inside and out, so that we could enjoy views of both the mountains, river and village. Unfortunately, we were not able to take advantage of the spa, which looked very inviting.

The decor was modern and even a bit quirky, which is not usually to my taste, but it worked beautifully, and seemed appropriate. So even if you do not like modern architecture and furnishings, I think anyone who stays here will truly enjoy this fantastic hotel.

• Liked — The location, the hotel's amenities, the owner and staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Berkeleytraveler
Westmeath, Ireland
Reviewed 30 August 2007

This is an amazing hotel, The staff meet and genuinely greet you as you step in the door and from then on you feel at home in one of the coolest interior designs I have seen. Take a close look at the chandeliers as you enter. They are amazing works of art. They are made from S-bends from sinks and simple nuts and bolts. The location of this hotel is perfect. The ski lifts are literally outside the door of the hotel, which during the winter has its obvious attractions but also in summer is brilliant as well. Eating from the delicious breakfast buffet in the mornings under the mighty matterhorn is a great way to start the day. The spa, which includes a pool, sauna, steamroom and relaxing shower is top notch as well. I would advise anyone to take a trip to this hotel

• Liked — Amazing Atmosphere, Staf were so friendly, Amazing location, loads to do around, really relaxing to come back to in the evenings after action packed days in the Alps and last but not least the view of the mighty Matterhorn.
  • Disliked — Having to leave!!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank rdunbar
ChuangLi, Taiwan
Reviewed 14 August 2007

It's the best hotel I've ever booked. The room is very spacious & quiet with modern interior design & a magnificent view over Matterhorn. The staffs are very polite and friendly. Coeur Des Alpes is filled with very relaxing and cozy as well romantic atomorsphere, it's not a hotel, it's more a ideal home in my dream.

The room rates in low season is unbeatable, and the free internet corner in the lounge area is another advantage worth a mention while internet connection is quite pricy in Switzerland.

There was only one small thing let me down during my stay:
the owner of the hotel didn't greet me for unknown reason during breakfast time, but he did greet other hotel guests and had small chet with them. This bothered me a little.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
6 Thank JeremyHuang
CA
Reviewed 11 August 2007

The Coeur des Alpes is a fantastic hotel! The staff is very friendly and helpful, the facilities and location are great, and the breakfasts were excellent! There was a great view of the Matterhorn from our balcony and from our bed. It was my alltime best hotel experience and my wife was ready to move in!

• Liked — Facilities and location
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Gene48
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 14 July 2007

My husband and I just returned from our trip to Europe. Out of all eight four-star hotels we stayed in, this one was definitely the best. In fact, we questioned why it was not a five-star. I am very picky when it comes to hotel rooms, and I could honestly not find a single thing wrong with this one. It was spacious, modern, clean, and
the views were....Wow!!! Huge glass windows around the room gave a view of the Matterhorn and surrounding scenery like no other. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. If you plan to visit Zermatt, definitely consider this hotel--it's awesome!!!!!

• Liked — The view/room/staff
  • Disliked — No hot tub
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family