“Perfect family owned hotel, great location Zermatt”
Review of Bella Vista Hotel

Bella Vista Hotel
Ranked #18 of 110 Hotels in Zermatt
Stockholm, Sweden
“Perfect family owned hotel, great location Zermatt”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Friendly and professional, family run hotel. Fantastic home made breakfast. New large spa and relax. Great location on Riedweg. Ski in from slope. Ski out all the way to bus stop, which was perfect for our children. Only 6-7 minute walk to main street (shops & restaurants). Most rooms like ours, have south west faced balcony with afternoon sun and magnificent Matterhorn view.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Fabienne G, Geschäftsführer at Bella Vista Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear Jonas, dear family,

Thank you very much for your great feedback, we are happy that you enjoyed your holiday with us at the Bella Vista!

We will see you next winter again, we look very much forward to!

Your family Götzenberger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
Wenatchee, WA
Reviewed 23 February 2014

When we checked into the Hotel we were rewarded with a fabulous view of the Matterhorn from our balcony. The receptionist at the hotel had a taxi pick us up at no charge and our hosts left us wonderful little heart-shaped cookies as a welcome gesture. I was very excited to have a bathtub as well. Once we were settled we quickly uncorked a really good bottle of French Chardonnay and sat out side watching the clouds float by this magnificent mountain. Upon checking out of our wonderful hotel they gave us a delicious butter cookie filled with some kind of nutty, jam as a parting gift. Then, we think it was the woman who owns the hotel, took us to the train station in the cute little electric hotel taxi. This place had it all...a wonderful view, warm hospitality, comfy bed and bathrobes as well as freshly squeezed OJ with an incredible breakfast. Anyone coming to Zermatt is crazy to stay anywhere else!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello from Zermatt!

We like to thank you very much for your great words about us and our hotel, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you!
We hope to welcome you another time with us!

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I cannot say enough good things about our five night stay at Bella Vista. From start to finish it was an impeccable experience. Some highlights and things to consider:

- The pick up from the train station was seamless (helped that they were already on site helping another family arrive, but we all squeezed in an got to the hotel quickly). The drop off equally so.

- Incredibly friendly and polite staff.

- We stayed in room 4, which had a great view of the Matterhorn from our cute little balcony. Highly recommended.The rooms are, as mentioned before, fairly small, but we had no problems- the closet space was more than ample to keep everything out of the way. And I was kinda surprised by how large the bed was. I've definitely had smaller in trips to Italy and France.

- You can't beat coming up to your room and finding a welcome note accompanied by two beautiful cookies. I wanted to take a picture, but my boyfriend ate his before I could do it!

- The breakfast, as everyone has mentioned, is truly a highlight. They do an incredible job. The spread had everything I wanted in a Euro-style breakfast- cured meats, local cheeses, beautiful breads, home made jams, local honey, various yogurt, and all the pastries a girl could hope for. We are currently trying to recreate the lemon cake/bread that was there every morning. We loved it that much.

- Look for your names on the table for breakfast/dinner- we didn't realize that our first day and sat in someone else's seat. Oops!

- Location- I thought it was the perfect distance from the main drag, but I like things a little more on the quiet side. Never took more than 5-12 minutes (depending on if I was wearing ski boots) to get where I wanted to go.

- We opted to stay in one night and enjoy the cheese dinner. All the fondue and raclette!! It was so, so good. And we had the opportunity to imbibe some of their homemade liqueur after a family sent a couple of glasses over (for allegedly being loud, which they weren't, they were lovely, so if they see this: your boy was amazingly adult for someone his age- congrats on being excellent parents and humans).

- I will never get used to being naked in European spas. I just won't. That part of my Americanism will probably never go away. So while the spa was beautiful, I didn't spend more than one afternoon down there.

- Oh, and ladies (or gentlemen) with the need for hair conditioner: bring some. The bathroom is equipped with hand soap and an all purpose shower/hair/body wash, but no conditioner. Glad I had thought to bring the bottle I snagged from our hotel in Zurich.

Overall, one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. If I ever make it back to Zermatt, I will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Room 4 was quiet and had a great view of the Matterhorn from the balcony (so long as it was a clear...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank curse10
Dear guest,

Wow, thank you so much for taking the time and writing down everything so precisely, we are sure this will be appreciated by people who have never been here, thank you! We are very happy that you enjoyed your time with us!

See you again-hopefully!

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This small hotel sits up on a hill overlooking the town of Zermatt. We loved the location we could walk 200 meters up the hill to catch the lifts up the mountain. After skiing you can ski right down to the hotel on a small road. We walked into town each night.
This charming hotel has thought of everything to make their guest comfortable. The beds and linens are of high quality, a ski boot storage room with heaters, and a nice organized ski locker in the garage.
The breakfast is delicious with home made pastries and local food from Zermatt. This hotel is perfect for couples and families with older children. It's so quiet and peaceful. My suggestion to the hotel would be to help your guest book restaurants and ski guides prior to your arrival. It's a busy town and you won't be able to get into places that are popular. We also travel with a son with life-threatening nut allergies and the peanut bowl in the entry was a bit unnerving so we just stayed out of the fireplace room. The hotel is so charming that I think they could replace the peanuts with a local snack. The shells seemed messy. We loved the Bella Vista and want to come back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hello from Zermatt!

Thank you very much for your great feedback, we are happy that you had a good time at the Bella Vista!

We are more than happy to help you booking ski guides, mountain guides and restaurants for lunch or for dinner, just let us know exactly what you need and we will organize everything for you!

We hope to see you again at the Bella Vista!

West Sweden, Sweden
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Service, helpfullness, and friendliness. The family that runs this nice place are absolutely wonderful.
Breakfast is great. The rooms are very nice and Clean even if some are a bit small. The spa was also very nice
It´s a pleasure to recommend this hotel.
one of my best hotel-experiences ever

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank antehuga
Thank you very much for this great feedback! Our family is supported by a great time which makes the "outstanding service" possible. Thank you and hope to see you again some time with us!

Have a great summer!

switzerland
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed here one night - its a very pretty hotel. Its a little walk from the centre but very quiet. The wellness area where I had a massage and jacuzzi were a BIG plus. Unfortunately only b & b, but breakfast was delicious. The room was small but very comfortable and a lovely view of the Matterhorn from our terrace. Everyone was very friendly and I don't hesitate to recommend this hotel where the customer is not just a number but made to feel at home. Thanks Bella Vista.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I visited Zermatt with no plan. I called hotels from the train station based on Trip Advisor ratings, and it was between this and another similarly rated. Bella Vista won out because they were over the top friendly on the phone, and the other hotel didn't offer to pick me up from the train station.

I typically avoid boutique hotels...because I prefer the reliability and amenities of chain resorts. But Bella Vista had everything I could hope for and more! It's small and quaint, and looks like a picture-perfect Swiss chalet. The view from my room was amazing, and the staff was marvelous! Fast wifi, welcome cookies in the room, and peanuts and fruit in the lobby rounded out a great stay.

Only 2 cons: one con was the location for me. While it provided an incredible view, I have some feet issues. So if mobility is at all an issue for you, you will want to take advantage of the electric taxis in town, because it is situated in the middle of a steep hill, so you have to climb up or climb down to get anywhere...and of course with the winter ice, at times it was difficult for me (for most people, I don't think this will be an issue at all). The 2nd con was that room #7 is directly below the kitchen...so at dinner and again in the morning, there was a lot of just walking / noise above me. This wasn't a problem for me because I was awake both times, but if you hope to sleep in, ask to avoid room 7.

The breakfast was hearty with lots of variety. I live in Orlando, FL and was surprised to find freshly squeezed orange juice and better fruit than I have at home. The family staff was patient with my questions about Zermatt, and never steered me wrong with suggestions about where to dine and what to see. There are several common areas that are cozy and inviting, and I was amazed to walk down to the wellness center in this tiny hotel and find a gorgeous, sprawling spa! Five stars! I absolutely loved my time at Bella Vista and hope to return!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo