The Omnia
  • Free Internet
  • Restaurant
Alpina Hotel(Zermatt)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmanaging directorjames bondcorner suitean indoor outdoor poolhot tubelectric carturkish bathmountain lodgecovered chairsmemory foamtrain stationtempur mattresswelcome drinkcontemporary hotelunique designthe general managerevery member of staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We stayed at The Omnia only one night, but it was wonderful. Peaceful atmosphere, elegant design, attentive, intelligent staff (especially woman at reception and breakfast waitress). Our arrival starts with The Omnia electromobile, from railway station it quickly took us to the hotel (situated high on the rock near main street). Hotel is 10 minutes on foot from train station, or 3 - 5 minutes with electromobile. At the reception there was complimentary glass of prosecco for us - very nice touch! Our superior room with balcony had great view of Zermatt (especially in the night... very romantic!). Relaxing bath and shower, Khiel's outstanding bath products and small luxury touches, for example, complimentary bourbon in elegant art deco style bottle, apples, very tasty chocolates, muffins, original The Omnia pencil box etc. The bed, in my opinion, was very good - maybe it was combination of good style, quality and Zermatt's crystal clear air... SPA zone with large pool, outside jacuzzi, few steam rooms was relaxing. Breakfast in large, light space was luxurious - with lot of Switzerland cheese, meat, eggs (making individually for your taste), fruits, chapagne etc. The Omnia complimentary took us from and back to Zermatt railway station. With one word - we loved this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndaBurveRozite
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We really loved this hotel. It's like nothing we have ever experienced before. Visually, it's amazing with its tunnel entrance, glass elevators with multiple doors/sides, and glass stairways between the floors. We stayed in the Matterhorn suite which had two large rooms, two bathrooms and a double-sized deck that overlooked the Matterhorn. It was very clean, comfortable and extremely functional. Free Wifi, flat screen TVs in both rooms, kitchenette area with mini-fridge and complimentary bourbon to begin with.....couldn't have asked for more. The service was also good and very friendly. The restaurant had AMAZING food so I would definitely recommend eating there if you get the chance.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wolfgirl61
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Well Zermatt and the Omnia. We have read a lot about it before and our expectations were high. And the Omnia could not only match them, they were better! Great, absolutly beautiful location, nice designed rooms, well the infrastractur ist great. And: the staff too. friendly, we just had a good time. Eventough prices are high, you get something for it. It was really cool. And we come back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ticinotraveller
Reviewed 14 July 2011

My family and I stayed 5 nights at `the Omnia last week.
From the arrival at the train station to the little electric car that meets you, to the staff who welcome you and check you in, the property was very special.
Its not oftten that you can find a place that really has the all benchmarks of a great hotel.
-The design is inspirational, comtemporary yet warm, and the tunnel/lift are like something out of the bat-cave. Very cool.
-Breakfast was perfect every day and the staff are particularly nice.
-The location is perfect, right in the middle of the Zermatt, and I looked up a grassy hill to the incredible Matterhorn from my bed!
There is SO much to do there in summer. The Matterhorn Glacier Paradise was covered in snow with all the lifts operating and it was a winter holiday in July, yet back down at the villa it was 21 degrees.
We will be back.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TrisaraManager
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I am still at the Omnia as I write this review. We are in the Matterhorn Suite, which is lovely -- modern and light-filled with a beautiful terrace and view of the Matterhorn. I will concur with other reviewers that the architecture and overall atmosphere is very special and unique. If you love modern design, the Omnia is the hotel for you! I have no complaint at all with the public areas, rooms, pool and wellness area. The hotel is truly stunning. The staff are somewhat reserved and do not go out of their way to be helpful, but are courteous and helpful and more than willing to help if you ask. I will echo other reviewers comments and say that there is an obvious lack of attention to the little details and touches that I expect for the price and from a 5-start hotel. These include:
1) No bottled water in the room. This is a high altitude resort, so you are perpetually thirsty. There are small bottles of water in both the pool and fitness areas, but they are accompanied by signs telling you not to take one unless you are exercising or using the spa area. Very odd!
2) No espresso/coffee/hot chocolate service -- nothing in the room, nothing in the lobby when you return from skiing.
3) No little touches -- chocolates on your pillow or fruit throughout your stay, although there are apples and a few small muffins on a tray upon your arrival. No snacks of any kind offered or put out to accompany drinks in the bar.
4) No courtesy shuttle to and from the ski lifts -- perhaps the most annoying and surprising of all for a high-end hotel in a premium ski resort. In the US, it is a given even at the medium-priced ski resorts out West that there will be a shuttle service to take you not only to the lifts but into and out of town for dinner or shopping. Not so here. The taxi line at the base of the gondola at the end of the day was sheer madness (this is a holiday week), with lots of people cutting the line and rates a ridiculous $25 RT for less than a quarter of a mile. I am perplexed as to why the hotel, which has it's own electric van they use to transport you to and from the train station, does not shuttle it's guests to the lifts, particularly since the hotel is small and does not have an overwhelming number of guests. My husband asked and was told they don't have insurance (but they have insurance to go to and from the train station?).

Finally, what bothers me most about the hotel and Zermatt overall are the out-of touch-with-reality, offensively sky-high prices. Granted, this is high season and a holiday week to boot. We have splurged many times on high-end 5-star resorts and usually ski out West in February where it is quite common to pay holiday rates of over $1,000 a night for the top of the line resorts. But, here you just can't escape the feeling of being ripped off, whether it's a $35 dollar Caesar's salad or $16 for two bottles of Gatorade on the slopes, the prices are truly absurd. Most bothersome to me, was the hotel charge to have our two teenaged sons with us in the room. When I booked the reservation, I was not sure both boys would join, but was given an add-on fee of 250 CF for one (on top of the $1,250 per night rate). My fault -- I did not look closely enough at the exchange rate or fine print when I booked, so I didn't realize that the hotel does not offer roll-away beds or that we were talking an additional $250 to have my son sleep on the couch bed in the living area. But, when I called back a couple of weeks prior to our arrival to say that my older son would be joining us for 3 days and to ask for an extra bed, I was told no roll-aways and an additional $250 -- or $500 per night -- to have my kids share a pull-out sofa in the suite. I understand an extra charge fro breakfast and to have a child in the room, but an extra $250 for each?! Never, in 20+ years of travel and staying at premium resorts have I been charged such an absurd fee. When I emailed the manager to see if the charge was negotiable, she replied that their fees are set and they could not do for us what they couldn't do for other guests. (Oddly, when we booked the reservation, we were told the only room that would accommodate more than 2 in a room was the Matterhorn Suite. However, it seems there are at least three families currently at the hotel with 2-3 small children who are too young to be in a room themselves and must be staying with their parents. So, apparently, some rules are bendable. I wonder if they are also paying $250 per child extra?) I wonder if prices are only jacked up during the holiday week, as none of the other reviewers seemed to have the same complaint?

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family