“Great service and atmosphere”
Review of The Omnia

The Omnia
Ranked #4 of 110 Hotels in Zermatt
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We stayed just for one night in December, but hope to be back. The service was excellent, not over the top, just friendly, helpful and efficient. The rooms are lovely, and the pool and spa area are really special... the jacuzzi looks up at the Matterhorn. And a special word about the restaurant: excellent food at, for Switzerland, really quite reasonable prices. And the breakfast was also fantastic.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
PhilippeClarinval, General Manager at The Omnia, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2011

Dear Tripadvisor Member
Thanks for your kind review. I am glad that you took the time to post on this forum. To us it is important to give good value for money. I am happy to see that you felt getting good value. We do indeed get lots of compliments about our rooms, infrastructure and the team. It shows the team some gratitude for a job well done. When you say, "not over the top", I hope you mean "just right" just as family would treat each others with genuine sincerity and helpfulness.

I wish you and your beloved ones a merry winterseason and a happy new year.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 12 December 2011

Fabulous! Top service, lots of personal attention, a great restaurant.spa facilities wonderful

• Stayed: December 2011
PhilippeClarinval, General Manager at The Omnia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2011

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Short and sweet... Thank you!
Best regards and till we meet again

Reviewed 12 December 2011

This is the first year we will NOT be going to Omnia for skiing week in January as we did for 3 years in a row.
Having a 4-month old baby has swung our vote for a chalet in Klosters. But we are certainly coming back to Omnia!!
It is a simply unbelievable place, and although rooms are on a small side, but the service, the atmosphere, the restaurant with an open fire, the massages, the views form the open sky hot tub... it is just a recipe for a perfect skiing holiday. I cannot recommend it more. It is bloomy expensive, even for us living in Switzerland!, but if you go a little off peak (ie not Xmas week) the prices all of a sudden seem realistic.
The location is perfect as you are right in the middle of the village once out of the lift and yet above it so very tranquil.
I would say the only annoying thing was kids running around the spa area and the pools as it was their only entertainment (it is not the most kids-friendly hotel and should not be in my opinion cause the vibe is totally different), every time we had a few apres-ski relaxations spoiled by the screaming little monsters form UK. But this is probably minor to all other advantages the hotel has to offer...

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you very much for your review and I regret that I won't be able to welcome you personally this year as you have opted to spend your family time in Klosters. Reading your review I found myself chuckling thinking about "the little monsters". We are indeed not the most family friendly lodge but most parents are really good in keeping the little guests under control so that the magic of The Omnia remains intact.

I hope to see you next year. Till then, I wish you and your beloved ones a very merry holiday season and a good time in Klosters with your family.
Best regards

Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed for 3 nights in November -- originally planned to stay 2 but enjoyed the hotel and Zermatt so much we stayed an extra night.

The Omnia is a design delight - if you appreciate hotels with a sense of design and uniqueness, you will appreciate this. It's quite modern in style, meaning somewhat minimalist. Lots of granite, light wood, stone, frosted glass. Example - the steps encircle the lift and are made of frosted glass.

We chose it because of the design and location and were not disappointed. We were also very well treated by a helpful but unobtrusive staff. The dining room staff especially have character and personality - injects a bit of warmth in the modern environment.

Some notes about the hotel --
1. Easy 5 minute walk from train station but they will pick you up
2. Very cool entrance through a tunnel and up an elevator (or you can walk, about 2 blocks, very steep)
3. Great location near the main church and close to heads of multiple hiking trails
4. Excellent food in restaurant - not inexpensive, but it's an "evening out" quality experience. We are vegetarian and one gluten free and they were very creative.
5. Nice spa area with pool, outdoor hot tub with Matterhorn and village views to die for; multiple steam rooms and sauna (but the hot tub and pool could have been warmer)
6. Small but useful fitness room (although no windows in it, so better to be outside)
7. Rooms very comfortable and clean and GREAT MATTERHORN VIEWS. You have to pick (and pay for) a room with that view if you want it. We were upgraded to a Matterhorn suite (there are 2, ask for the one on the higher floor). 2 large rooms, 2 bathrooms, long balcony with chairs and did I say - Matterhorn view!!
8. Beds are memory foam - so they are firm. Very comfortable to us, though. And nice and long (we are tall).
9. Rooms a bit warm despite trying to adjust the temp, but opened the windows to offset the heat. Worked well.

Only notes on the room - could hear little kids in the suite above us, running around. Hardwood floors and little feet... but they went to bed early. And with the upgrade, didn't want to complain. The do not disturb signs and room keys have a ceramic tag that, while nice looking, is noisy and bulky. Something else would be better.

With the note on the kids - they were the only kids there during our stay. I'd say this is not a place designed for kids, but to each their own.

There are less expensive places to stay in Zermatt, but we enjoyed being on the edge of the village and yet close enough to walk everywhere, in a well and interestingly designed place with a very helpful staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor with a Matterhorn view (worth the money)
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ATLhiker

Dear Tripadvisor Member

Thank you for the review; I have shared the compliments with the team and taken on your valuable suggestions. I am very happy that you have had an enjoyable stay and would love to welcome you back to The Omnia in due course.

In the interim, I send you and your beloved ones my best wishes.
Best regards

Reviewed 8 December 2011

Zermatt is a favourite place of ours, and the Omnia has made this very memorable.
The hotel location and artistic design are unique. The facilities, particularly the pool, outdoor spa ( with exceptional views ), steamrooms and sauna.
But what makes it very special are the staff - courteous, friendly and at the same time allowing you the space to enjoy this wonderful hotel.
My wife and I highly recommend the Omnia for a unique experience and for something special to remember, look no further than the Omnia.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
PhilippeClarinval, Geschäftsführer at The Omnia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2011

Dear Tripadvisor Member
Thank you for your reveiew and your kind compliments.
I am glad that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us and that your special event was a success.

Please let me know when you plan to come back to Zermatt.
Kind regards

Reviewed 29 November 2011

How do I start to write about this amazing gem in Zermatt where guests are treated with so much care and affection?

I spent 2 beautiful nights at The Omnia very recently, and it deserves a lot more appreciation than my words in this review. Truly a 5 Star material this property is from its exquisite and subtle decor to fabulous dining menu which actually tastes so delicious. I will write about The Omnia's staff and generosity further down.

This was my first time in Zermatt, so I was much more curious to learn about this mountain village and of course to visit the iconic Matterhorn. As many are aware, getting around in Switzerland is by far the easiest and so timely. I really wish we had this kind of professionalism and time keeping in the States. Reaching Zermatt after a long flight from U.S. was not an issue; although you should expect your arrival day to be full of travel. I flew into Zurich and took the train to Zermatt which takes around three and half hours (1 to 2 changes of train at major stations depending on the time you expect to board). It may sound exhausting but once you're on the train, it's time for you to relax and enjoy beautiful landscape to the village higher up.

I must be honest to tell you that I am extremely picky about hotels, where I stay and most importantly how I am treated during my travel. As I seek comfort, I am also a keen observer about hotel's decor and service level. The Omnia intrigued me after reading a lot about its architecture and its style. This mountain lodge is sophisticated and stylish with under-stated rooms (in a good way) with a difference. To start, each room is represented by a letter instead of room numbers. I personally feel the rooms have a bit of retro-effect in the sense of its concept coming from another time or decade. Add to the rooms are high definition (Sony Bravia) television and Bose surround sound system which totally blends its style concept with its design (retro and modern). Each areas of the hotel - reception / lobby, library, fitness room, swimming pool, dining hall / lounge has cozy and warm feeling to it. Many hotels may have all of these things, but never have I felt being part of it as much as The Omina.

Upon my arrival in Zermatt, I called the hotel from Tourist Office for a ride, and the service was prompt. The taxi / Omnia electric car was ready for me in no time (this is complimentary with your stay). The property itself is centrally located and only 5-7 minutes easy walk, but if you have heavy luggage, you can be assured to get a ride to / from the hotel if you let the staff know. I was greeted with great respect and politeness. I've stayed at other luxury hotels but never felt so comfortable like I did here. Guests are offered a nice welcome drink and also a tour of the property.

Since I was really interested in going up to the mountain peaks, the hotel kindly made arrangements for me and made sure things go smoothly as possible. I've seen where most hotel's reception is simply aloof about their own surrounding and not able to assist guests with their questions. The staff at the Omnia is very different. If they are not able to answer you on the spot, they will find out and get the most accurate information you need.

This brings me to write about every staff's generosity and attentive attitude they carry to look after their guests. To make a point about this, I had slight difficultly walking due to sprained ankle. One of the staff who looks after hotel's restaurant, he saw me limping / walking unevenly and asked curiously concerned about this. I was given ice pack immediately to heal, and he kindly advised me to use it so I can feel better. Honestly, this kind of attention and care I haven't experienced even at hotels which self-proclaims itself in great customer service. I was in much better shape the following day. I also had a situation where I misplaced my eye glasses, and after my checkout I left to a different city, but the reception called and also left me an email to notify me about cleaning services found something I left behind. They were eager to return it to me where I wanted them to. This should give you an idea how amazing these people are, and it speaks volumes about the kindness and respect this hotel gives in return. I was always asked if things are okay and if I am enjoying my stay.

A little about room service and dining menu. I am a vegetarian and Omnia Restaurant is actually one of the very few hotels offering Vegetarian menu to speak of. I make a point to order room-service at least once to see whether it's worth it, and it clearly is. I ordered food, and it was ready and prepared for me fairly quick with nice touch of presentation. The breakfast deserves a special mention - it offers nice selections of tea, drinks, different kinds of fruits, bread and snacks. You shouldn't miss it. Even for a breakfast, restaurant staff is always willing to serve what you want. Don't forget to ask for recommendations on drinks. You'll be happy.

One of the recommendations I have for the hotel is to improve its room door locks. Unfortunately this is a physical key that you will need to lock the door from outside and inside as well. It's slightly distracting considering what the hotel is capable of offering. An automated key / door would be a great enhancement. One of the days I left the door open not realizing that I didn't close the properly or locked it, so just use your caution and do mind your surrounding.

I had a superior single room, and I thought the bathroom was a bit tight with space. The shower area felt small. I somehow expected it to be more specious; perhaps in a deluxe room or suites it is bigger, but no major big deal. No issues with hot water and / or other functional room usage.

The Bed. If you're looking for some soft cushion to get a good night sleep then look elsewhere. The first night it felt hard to sleep on the bed, but it's easy to get used to and you won't mind it at all. It feels different…probably better for some people.

Wifi. Free internet access available from all rooms in this hotel. This is great for people traveling with their laptops and need to be connected at some point.

I liked the fact that the rooms has a changing / dressing area with a full length mirror. It adds more layer to the room and enhances it. This is not your typical hotel layout where you walk in through the hall way and see giant bed waiting for you. I appreciate Omnia for being different. Did I say the rooms are very clean…yes, they are!

While I haven't seen other hotels in Zermatt, I'm not sure if I need to look beyond this property. With style, comfort in accommodation and care for guests this is a fabulous choice. It is pricey sure, and eating here will definitely raise your bill so keep that in mind. If you're willing to splurge, just enjoy for what it offers and be treated with great care.

I hope the hotel maintains itself over time, but as it stands right now it deserves nothing less than 5 Stars.

I will take this opportunity to Thank Omnia staff / team for a great time and service. I will return very soon and won't need to search too hard from so many hotel choices in the village.

Bottom Line: Go for it!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank MoviePrince
PhilippeClarinval, General Manager at The Omnia, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2011

Dear Tripadvisor Member

I do hope that your ankle is better by now and that your glasses are back home.
Thank you for your kind and extensive review about The Omnia.

It was a great pleasure to share your compliments with our team. It is truely amazing to see how our colleagues can get fired up wheile reading how you have enjoyed your stay with us.

It would be a great honor to have you among us again soon. Please contact me directly at ph.clarinval@the-omnia.com if I can be of any assistance.

In the interim, I wish you a very happy festive season.
Best regards from snowy Zermatt

yours sincerely

Reviewed 6 November 2011

I had the great fortune of staying at The Omnia Hotel recently and would happily return! The staff, from the Managing Director to the front desk, restaurant and housekeeping personnel, were all gracious, inviting and knowledgeable; it was a joy to meet and speak with them all and they made me feel welcome, secure and at ease.

My room was spacious, extremely well-appointed and quiet. The furniture was aesthetically pleasing as well as comfortable, while the overall décor was warm, inviting and elegant. I enjoyed sitting on the balcony in the sheepskin covered chairs, soaking in the magnificent view of Zermatt and the surrounding mountains. Unfortunately, the Matterhorn was obscured by clouds during my stay, but I’m assured that it was up there, within view of my room!

A surprisingly nice touch was the classical music, playing on a surround sound music system, which greeted me upon my entering my room. I left it on for its soothing touch whenever I was in my room.

The entire property is beautifully appointed and soundly constructed, with wood, slate and glass worked together to inspire and assure comfort and peace. The feeling is modern, with more than a nod to making you feel as though you are in a gracious and spacious home. In fact, there is an interesting library in the lobby, where I spent a bit of time in front of the fireplace, soaking in the spirit of place and mountains. I found myself smiling, just from my sense of ease and good fortune to be there.

My dinner and breakfast in the restaurant were culinary masterpieces, without any pretention. Local foods, brilliantly prepared, and graciously served made for consummate dining experiences. I can’t imagine a better restaurant in Zermatt – five stars in my book. For breakfast, try the Eggs Benedict, perfectly prepared, after first sampling wonderful cheeses, meats, breads, fruit and yogurts. I only wish I could dine with such pleasure every day!

In the heart of Zermatt, high above most of the town, the hotel is convenient to the entire town and only a short walk from some wonderful hiking trails through the foothills surrounding the town. The autumn colors were brilliant.

The Omnia is a perfect destination.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank RickPoston
PhilippeClarinval, General Manager at The Omnia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2011

Dear Tripadvisor Member

I am very grateful for the kind review you have provided us with. It is indeed always a pleasure to be complimented for a job well done and to share the compliments with the team.

I am however even more pleased that you have enjoyed your stay in the way it was intended. Of course our aim is to deliver outstanding yet discrete service but it is an even higher mission to provide our guests with an inspiring experience. We believe that the strength lies not only in the design and the service but more in our core values that guide us to treat each and everyone with honour and as family where you will find tranquillity, sincerity and our hospitality straight from the heart.

I do hope that your travel plans will lead you back to Zermatt soon, so that you can soak in the spirit of the place and the mountains again.

In the meantime, I wish you and your beloved ones a happy holiday season.
Best Regards