Hotel de la Paix
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Regina(Lausanne)
Good 3.5/5
  • Restaurant
All reviewsold towntrain stationwonderful view of the lakesaturday marketoutdoor cafehotel is locatedvery nice hotelbooked a triple roomnice roomlcd tvfree citylocation is greatbreakfast buffetreception staff aresingle bedshower headpublic transport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 August 2009

When we arrived at 5pm on Friday, we were half expecting noise and dust, having read the earlier review. No work was taking place then, or at any time over the weekend. We booked out at 11 am on Sunday. There are still some partitions, but it looks as tho' much of the work is now finished. It may be that they don't work weekends at all, in which case it is fine for weekend breaks, or else the work is coming to an end. Certainly no trouble sleeping. Breakfast was excellent. All soaps, shampoos etc that we could expect in the room were there. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I booked into the Hotel de la Paix based on the many positive reviews on this site. Yes the neighborhood to the north is charming. Yes the view is spectacular and access to the metro simple. Yes the room is clean and reasonably sized, though even the Holiday Inn Express offers more amenities than a small bottle of multi-purpose body cleanzing gel and a thumb sized bar of soap. Lotion? Shampoo? Conditioner? None to be found! But the real problem is that the hotel is undergoing major reconstruction works on the lower floors, affecting the reception area, bars, breakfast and dining, as well as the sitting areas, now cramped and walled in by ply wood. And that is the good news - the bad news is the noise, utterly deafening from dawn to dusk , meaning as early as 7 AM and sometimes on constantly until 7:30 at night. The only way to nap, or sleep in at all is with earplugs and even they do not fully suffice. The hotel may be worth the price when the remodel is done, but don't waste your money this summer. It is not an enjoyable place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I stayed here for work in Feb 09, I was very pleasantly suprised. Great location my room looked over Louis Vuitton & Hermes. The hotel Bars are both great and pleanty of great restaurants near by. Whatever your budget you won't be disappointed with this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 January 2009

When I realised my girlfriend had never experienced Christmas anywhere but in Britain I decided it was time she enjoyed a change of scenery for the festive season! Hotel De La Paix is a posh hotel but it's still a hotel that a pauper like me could afford. Situated on one of the slopes of Lausanne (a city of several levels) the hotel is ten minutes walk away from the train station. But catch a trolleybus or take the metro part of the way if you don't fancy tacking the steep hill through the quaint shopping street to get there.
The room was immaculate and contained tea-making facilities, a safe...oh and a spectacular view of Lac Leman and the Alps. The most breathtaking view! Breakfast was more than adequate although anyone unfamiliar with Swiss reserve will initially feel like they're being scolded. Don't worry Swiss people are naturally stern but they mean no harm and the hotel staff did a superb job without being in your face all the time. We ate Christmas dinner at the hotel - a highly recommended selection of 5 courses and champagne all for under £80 - but really the food was so good it was worth double that price. We walked off the festive flab with a hearty walk down the hill to the beautiful lakeside area Ouchy before lazily grabbing the metro back to the hotel (the stop Bessieres is five minutes from the De La Paix)
As much of our budget was designated to train travel across the nation we wanted to cut costs. So we ate a lot at the self-service Manor restaurant five minutes walk from the hotel. At other times we stocked up at the COOP store opposite the hotel and packed a lunch for our little Alpine adventures.
My only regret is that I never asked for the free Lausanne city pass...it's free from the hotel.
The hotel feels luxurious and offers great value for money.
HOWEVER...if you're a non-smoker like me be aware that smoking is allowed throughout the hotel (except at breakfast) and this hotel would be terrible for anyone with asthma or an allergy. An example of the conundrum that is Switzerland - a country of healthy mountain air polluted by Northern Europe's most ardent smokers!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank DonBlandford
Reviewed 14 November 2008

I chose the Hotel de la Paix primarliy for its location. Indeed, you are really in the town centre with main bus lines and the train station nearby. However, as the city sits on a few hills, it was a mistake not to take a taxi from the train station (althoug it easily is within walking distance). If you have heavy luggage, it really doesn't matter that your suitcases have wheels since the walk is upwards to the hotel!

The room was to the smaller side of the scale, but adequate. Somehow the size of the window, the green fitted carpet, the curtains and the size of the room somehow made the room murky. However, the view of the town, the Geneva lake and the mountains was terrific!

The bathroom was basic, but seemed newly renovated and spotless.

Staff was uninterested and unattentive (at breakfast after some five minutes wait, I had to ask to be served coffee although this seemed to be standard procedure as guests sat down) . At my arrival I asked to have my laundry made in order to be ready for my departure on Monday morning (this was on saturday and they have no laundry on Sundays). According to staff, this should present no problem for them. Maybe I should know better, but I was a bit surprised and disappointed to have my laundry back in the bag in the same condition I left it. I didn't even get an appology. Not OK.

Another note: For better or worse, this hotel does not seem to be part of the Best Western network anymore.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank FlyingPillow