“solid, 4-star hotel”

Ranked #13 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Lugano, Switzerland
“solid, 4-star hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2006

It is a good, solid 4-star hotel, very conveniently located and reasonably priced, very quiet.
My room was rather large and spotlessly clean, all comforts available.Same for the bathroom. Breakfast was good and rich.
Reading other posts, perhaps other rooms are smaller or not refurbished yet, but there is nothing to complain about mine, even though there is nothing to celebrate. It is probably an average hotel, I rate it above average when comparing it to similar hotels nearby (say Hotel Century in Geneva, for example).
I would suggest it either for tourism and business.

• Stayed November 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Alberto_O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reading
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2006

A perfectly acceptable stay at a reasonable rate. I had to hunt around the net for any room in Lausanne for World Cup triathlon weekend, but this hotel compared very favourably with other hotels for rates/facilities.

It's a bit of a walk to the lake and quite steep coming back up, but there are trams that go close and De La Paix is a good location for the City.

My room was fine, clean and a view of the lake in the distance and of a nice little park just below. Staff were polite, friendly and helpful.

No complaints at all.

• Liked — Comfortable, Nice breakfast, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Long walk back uphill from the lake
  • Tips/Secrets — Shop around for best rate
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank JulesR
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2006

Hotel De La Paix, a Best Western hotel in Lausanne, Switzerland, boasts to be a 4-star hotel, but it is far from it. Part of my criteria for rating a hotel is the impression it leaves in me during and after my stay.

The positives:

- This hotel is located in the heart of Lausanne facing the lake. It was located conveniently close to Eglise St. Francois (where the bus stops are), and a 5 minute walk to the Lausanne-CFF Metro Stop. Because I had to take the Metro (M1) every day, it made my commute convenient. And, I did not have to climb up hill to get to my commute.

- The restaurant offers views of the lake and there is also a terrace where one can enjoy pre and after dinner drinks. In addition to the location by the transportation, it is also conveniently located on the edge of the shopping district.

- I received a lake view room with a balcony, so I had a beautiful view of Ouchy and Lake Geneva, and the Alps across the way. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time on the balcony area, rather than my room. This is probably my biggest “positive” of the hotel review.

- The breakfast was ok and decent. Try to get the deal which includes the continental breakfast. It was the typical European hotel breakfast, with a decent selection.

- The hotel had a fitness facility and a business center.

Several overwhelming reasons why I did not give Hotel De La Paix a great rating, which include the following:

- Although I mentioned earlier that the location has a nice view of the lake and is located near the shopping district, the area where the hotel was located was also not in the prettiest nor “nicest” area of the city. Every night (yes, every night), I was awakened by people on the street yelling at each other, or throwing bottles on the street, or hitting and kicking parked cars along the street.

- My first impression of my room is that it looked more like a dorm room than a hotel room. The bed was too small for me, and I am not a big/large person (5'8" and 170 lbs, or 1.73 m and 77.3 kg). It was a short twin (single) bed, which I've never seen before... even in Europe. The room décor was not overly elegant, and more on the simple end of the spectrum. Although the hotel was recently renovated, I could not see what it was renovated from since the room was very basic.

- The shower was small (like the previous reviews have described).

- The fitness facility was small and very limited.

- I had to wait over 4 hours before I was able to check in. I had a 26 hour transit travel time, and I was very tired when I finally arrived in Lausanne, and they could not check me in until 2 p.m. Incidentally, the hotel was less than 50% capacity, and they could have easily checked me in. I have to add that I switched hotels mid-visit, and the other hotel (also a 4-star hotel, but I would rate it as a true 4-star) allowed me to check in early because they thought I just flew in and made the exception of waiting to check in until the proper check-in time.

- The wallpaper was peeling in the corner area where my bed was located. It would not have been too bad, but I noticed pieces falling on my bed and pillow.

Overall, my stay at the Hotel De La Paix is just below my “average” mark, and I left with no overwhelming need to return to this hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to my family and friends. I would recommend it to budget-limited travelers, but with the caveat that I cannot rate it as a 4-star hotel.

Summary:

The room was barely worth its nightly rate of about $100 a night. In the end, I would rate the room as a 2 star, and the location and some amenities 2.5 and 3 stars.

Stayed August 2006
8 Thank Conrad A
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2005

I would highly recommend this hotel. If you're coming from the train station you can take a taxi for about 15 Swiss Francs or you can walk it in about 10 minutes. When you come out of the station, cross the road to McDonald's and walk up the street that runs along the left hand side of the building. It's a steep hill so if you have a lot of luggage I would suggest a taxi. When you reach the road, turn right and the hotel is across the road and on the left hand side after a few minutes' walk.

The hotel is nicely furnished and very clean. Breakfast, served from 6.30am-10am, was nice and there was a wide choice - sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, croissants, bread rolls, fruit, cold meats, cheese, yogurt and so on. Room service is available but it was nice to sit in the restaurant in the morning and take in the view of Lake Geneva and the Alps.

The hotel is well located, with shops just yards away and there are markets several days a week. There are plenty of restaurants, museums, galleries and cinemas very close by.

I saw several other hotels while I was in Lausanne and I was glad I had chosen this one. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2005
14 Thank hezz79
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2005

We have seen this hotel listed as a 4* hotel, but at best, it is a 2.5-3* hotel by American standards. This was the worst hotel we've stayed at on our trip, but we had expectations for a 4* hotel and this was not it. The room we had was tiny, it barely fit the bed, desk and the baby crib. Although we had requested a baby crib for the room, it was not ready for us, and we had to wait for them to deliver it. The bathroom was the size of a closet with no room to move in the shower. Maybe the other rooms are larger, but the one we had was very small. The staff was unfriendly and unhelpful when we asked for directions or dinner suggestions. Don't order breakfast to the room unless you want to pay exorbitant amounts for the same food they serve downstairs. They didn't post the prices on the order form therefore we had no idea how much we were paying. It looks like the hotel caters more to business travelers than to tourists.

On the plus side, the hotel was in a great location for shopping and public transportation. The breakfast in their restaurant had decent selection.

Overall, I would NOT recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2005
8 Thank ciaotuffy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2004

Very nice hotel which looked as if it had been recently refurbished. Centrally situated, great breakfasts. I did hear one guest complain that his "standard room" had no air-con, although ours did so might be worth checking beforehand.

5 Thank Fred B
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2004

First impression was bad when I checked in and I saw the receptionist look at my printed reservation, score through the room price on her sheet and increase it. However, after that all was plain sailing and no other problems. Stayed in a suite facing the lake which was very well sized with superb bathroom. The weather was poor so the view wasn't great, but I know that generally it is so it's worth trying to get a lake view if that's your thing. Inclusive breakfast was good; nice selection. Good location too, would certainly recommend.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member