“Lausanne”
Review of Victoria Hotel

Victoria Hotel
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Reviewed 17 November 2011

hotel is convenient for access to city centre & also close to train station & post office.plenty of shops/restaurants etc close by .hotel located in a quiet street.hotel is a boutique style with personalised service,staff helpful,paintings & art line the walls & lobby.breakfast is a old world style lounge.rooms & bathrooms are comfortable & efficient

Room Tip: book online & get a higher floor
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 October 2011

I stay here whenever visiting Lausanne because this is the hotel my company books for me. The location is excellent for me because it's only a few minutes from the train station, where I arrive from Geneva airport. It's also close to the metro, which is very efficient and a good way to get around. The hotel also hands out free metro cards. Parking is terrible in this area, so drivers be warned.

The single rooms I stayed in are always quite basic. The bed is fairly small and the TV has a limited choice of channels with average reception. Wireless internet is way overpriced (should be free), and the breakfast is just ok (not much choice). The rooms also tend to get warm and I can't get the air con to get the temperature down (I don't think the controller is functional?). Cleanliness in the public areas is good but I did find some dust in the bedroom.

Staff are usually friendly, though I did find one of them a bit rude on one occasion. I think I asked for airline miles or something like that and she rudely refused to issue points as my company and not me paid the bill. Is this common policy in Switzerland? Or is it just this silly hotel and hopeless receptionist?

If I had a choice I'd probably stay somewhere else, frankly. This hotel is a bit tired and other than the proximity to the station I can't see any redeeming feature.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Therooster
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Even though this small hotel is located @ only 2 minutes walk from the train station and centre of this lovely city, it's very quiet and cosy.
The staff is very friendly and the rooms are very clean.
We will absolutely go back there!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HKstar1
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We were staying at 4 different hotels in Switzerland and this was the only one we had a problem with. When we arrived we were allocated a room on the ground floor, literally next to the breakfast area and bar. I was extremely concerned about the potential noise level, particularly given that breakfast was served from 6.30. The receptionist was extremely reluctant to move us saying that they were fully booked and that 'most people said they couldn't hear the breakfast noise' - I commented that 'most is not all'. In the end they moved us into a room in the basement but she was extremely rude and aggressive about it saying 'This isn't very funny for me - we're fully booked.'

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Wimbledonian3
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel from May 20th to June 2nd 2011.
First it is awesome location. 2 minutes walk from the train station and next to the metro Lausanne CFF. Also not too far from the city center and the sport clubs. They have a decent gym and a sauna.
I was given a room in the top floor. The good side is that it had a view on the lake. Having your breakfast while watching the lake was nice. The bad side is that the room was utterly small. I could not move without knocking something out of whack. The bed was very small for my taste. The decor was nice. It has an african touch and the carpets on the walls were sort of a mixture of asian and african. The breakfast was okay. I always had it in my room except twice. I have no comments but they should choose better juices though. The staff were nice. especially the blond with glasses. She was well too nice. When I arrived I got help with my luggage but not when i was leaving.
Overall it is an okay hotel but get away from the 6 floor. The rooms are way too small.

Room Tip: 6th floor room are very very small.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2011

I slept at the Victoria Hotel in Lausanne for two nights during a business trip.
The location, the cleanliness were the good part of it, the service and the restaurant were the bad sides of it. It's not an amazing hotel, but not a bad one either.

It was very convenient as it was close to the train station and in between the old city and the Lake. If you are not used to walking, you might want to take the public transportation or a taxi to get to the lake. The old part of the city is closer.
Even though it's close to the railway station and the metro station, the area is quiet.

Rooms vary in size. I had a large one, with a large bathroom. I basically had all I needed. Everything was nice and clean.

There is also an ironing room that you can use for free.

However, I was not very happy with the breakfast. I have had better breakfast in other 4 star hotels before. Compared to those ones, this is nothing. Your choices are often very limited.
What's more, the hotel does not have a restaurant of it's own, a bar, a cafe or something like that. There's not much you can do in the hotel after breakfast.
Smokers, beware, the only place you can smoke is OUTSIDE the hotel.

Wi-fi internet is not for free. There is only one computer at the reception that you can use for free and it has internet.

What's more, this hotel could have been better from regarding the design. There are elements of bad taste and kitsch exhibited here and there or unfortunate combinations.

All in all it was OK, nothing horrible, nothing too wow.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Zimmerman_R
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Stayed here for a long weekend, was suprised By The great location- close to The train station and to The métro Line to The port and to The city center (although it is also a walking distance to city center, it was just to cold to walk). Great large breakfast, very friendly staff, very clean. The hôtel has a fancy look but you still feel confortable.

• Stayed: February 2011