“Good location, good service, some mediocre rooms”

Movenpick Hotel Lausanne
Ranked #8 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here twice a few night, with a short separation. First I stayed in one of the non-view rooms, and found this room quite small, and rather depressing. The room looked over the court yard and gym, which did not allow for opening the curtains. Too dark for my taste. Bed was comfortable.
The second time I stayed in a lake view room, and what a difference! Larger room, nice view, good light. Realising that these rooms were similar price, and quite expensive, I felt that I rather overpaid the first time.
The bar in the restaurant is nice, and serves good food and drinks. Although quite expensive for everything. One drawback on nice days is the double thick layers of smoke that get everywhere, with all those folks smoking on the terrace and in front of the door. There was no safe place for a non smoker to sit outside and enjoy the fine weather. With all the doors open, the smoke was also thick inside the bar.
The location of the hotel is very close to the lake. Take the metro to get to the city centre or the cathedral, all very well organised.
If you arrive by train, try to take the metro as well. On busy days this easy 5 minute drive can turn into a half to one hr wait in line, and the meter keep running. Remember nothing comes cheap in Switserland.

Room Tip: Really do not opt for the non view rooms, these are not worth the money. Lakeside is good, but ask t...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Moevenpick_Hotel_12, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Lausanne, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

The entire team would like to thank you for informing us of your remarks following yôur recent stays at the Mövenpick Hotel Lausanne.

We are sorry to read that you did notr enjoy your stay in our Standard room but pleased that our Lake View rooms made the difference.

We understand your comments concerning the smokingf area outside the property. Our hotel being 100% non-smoking, customers are required to smoke outside. we are sorry if your were annoyed by the smoke entering the bar.

We hope to have the pleasure of wekcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have the privilege to stay here for business….and enjoy it each time. I've only been at the non-view rooms -- but no matter. Seconds away from a gorgeous Lakeside. The food is exceptional, too for a hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank LydiaGlobal
Moevenpick_Hotel_12, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Lausanne, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Lydia,

Greetings from Mövenpick Hotel Lausanne !

We are delighted to read your comments regarding your several stays at the Mövenpick Hotel Lausanne and we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed all of them !

Our food offer is on a constant change with 3 restaurants offering different menus including special promotions on a seasonal basis.

Thank you again for your precious feedback and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I made reservations online to stay at the Moevenpick in Lausanne for 5 days. Maybe I made a mistake, maybe it was a glitch... we found out last weekend that the hotel had our arrival on May 29 when it should actually be May 30.

No problem, right? We're not cancelling, there is plenty of time... it's only a matter of moving the reservation one day. Wrong! My husband has spoken with three representatives of the hotel... since the first and then the second were not authorized to make a decision. The answer from the manager (Benjamin) was This was a non-refundable reservation. Dates are set in stone.

Now, I get that I could have made the error, but it could have also been a glitch or electronic reset and we didn't catch it until a couple of weeks before departure. Either way, wouldn't you think that a hotel would do all that was in its power to accommodate its guests? Apparently, not here.

Not only do we have to pay for a night while we are in transit to Switzerland, but the last day of our actual stay is fully booked, and no one at the hotel has so much as mentioned help getting us alternate accommodations.

Fortunately, and somewhat ironically, this is my husband's hometown. But, it was my idea to stay at the Moevenpick. It would be my first time staying at this hotel chain. Unfortunately, I'm not feeling the love.

I will most definitely post the outcome of our stay upon our return. Let's see if Swiss hospitality is fact or myth at the Moevenpick. Stay tuned.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Moevenpick_Hotel_12, Director of Sales at Movenpick Hotel Lausanne, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Guests

Thank you for letting us know -through Tripadvisor- your feelings regarding the reservation experience you just encountered

I understand that you will soon be staying with us and I sincerely hope that we will manage to make of your visit a great stay.

Concerning your reservation, I fully agree that we always can be more flexible. We aim to provide all our customers with the best of services and, for those of you who travel on a regular basis and make reservation in advance, we offer special discounted rates.

These special offers however have restrictive conditions : You are not able to change the reservation or cancel it as the charge for the entire stay is made at the time of booking.

I clearly understand your frustration regarding this situation and I can only apologize for this.

As for the last night of your stay in Lausanne, I regret that no-one has taken the time to help you finding a room suiting your needs in a busy city like ours. Should you still need help for this, please get in touch and I shall do my utmost to resolve this situation.

Looking forward to meeting you while you are at the Mövenpick Hotel Lausanne.

JM Berner
Director Of Sales

Reviewed 23 May 2014

This is a large, well run chain hotel. The rooms are comfortable and there is a good view of the lake if you pay for a lake view. The executive rooms have balconies - but this new wing is built at the back of the hotel - so no lake view.
The rooms have air conditioning with a heat control. But beware, the control does not work! The air conditioning is set at 23 degrees Celsius and you cannot get the room any cooler. We reported our A/C as broken but the hotel left us a printed note explaining that it was working but is set at 23 degrees. This is too hot for me - so we were brought a fan, but had to leave the windows open. As the lake view rooms overlook a busy road, there is quite a bit of traffic noise.
I believe that the high temperature is due to an environmental Swiss law limiting the use of A/C. We have an apartment in Switzerland where we have never been able to use the A/C - in a residential property it will not come on until the internal temperature is 26 degrees!
The way around this is to go to an hotel that has old fashioned individual units in each room. The A/C police cannot regulate these. If you prefer a cool room in which to sleep (probably all Brits and Americans) take a look at the older Elite hotel in the centre of town.
The other downside is 35 Francs for breakfast. It probably is good - but this is a crazy price.
Another reviewer recommends the tea room 3 doors along from the hotel. This has a sensibly priced coffee and croissant. I went for two boiled eggs and brioche toast. Unfortunately the eggs were virtually raw and the brioche the hardest lump of bread ever.
If you want a local bargain breakfast (there aren't many bargains in Switzerland, so I hope I have your attention) take the Metro to "Riponne M Bejart". A few yards away is the rather smart "Manor" department store. On the 7th floor there is a smart café which offers a buffet breakfast for 6 Francs. That pays for a hot drink a six items from the buffet. Additional items are 1 Franc each. The croissants are small but everything is beautifully laid out (and at these prices you could have two croissants!).
The McDonalds nearest to Manor also does good breakfasts - a surprisingly good croissant and a bacon and egg mcmuffin. Other (larger) McDonald branches locally do croissants but not the mcmuffin.
So, a good hotel let down by A/C and an expensive breakfast.

Room Tip: Worth paying for the lake view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank johnGerrardsCross
Moevenpick_Hotel_12, Director of Sales at Movenpick Hotel Lausanne, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear John,

Thank you for posting your comments regarding your recent stay at the Mövenpick Hotel Lausanne.

Our room cooling system is certainly not set on 23 degrees and the information you were given is not correct. I am sorry for this.

Our cooling system in our hotel rooms is set on 21 degrees. You also have a control over it and you can either turn it down by -3 degrees or up by +3 degrees. I am really sorry if misleading information was given to you.

As for breakfast, you are mentioning a charge of CHF 35.00. This is our normal price for a full buffet breakfast. Of course we also offer the choice of a Continental breakfast at CHF 25.00 or even to choose and pay 'à la carte'.

Regarding all other comments made, I would like to point out that they do not refer to the Mövenpick Hotel Lausanne (raw eggs and hard brioche).

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

JM Berner
Director of Sales

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Be sure to book an executive room in the new building in the hotel. If you can spring for a lake side view, it will be well worth the expense. The hotel is conveniently near the local subway so you can get to other parts of Lausanne quickly as well as it is a short walk to Ouchy for more local sight seeing and dining.

The Moevenpick's newer rooms are well equipped and are comfortable. I have been there both summer and winter - the place feels like home. Especially wonderful are the showers and warm down comforter on the bed. The hotel bar and restaurant are wonderful to places to hang out. In the Summer, the lake is the place to be and the Moevenpick is the best place to start from to wander around the area. My favorite thing at the Moevenpick is their Moevenpick ice cream! The hotel staff are friendly and very accommodating. I have spent many weeks at the hotel and it is better than home!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Travelprincess63
Moevenpick_Hotel_12, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Lausanne, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Guest,

WOW ! It is so pleasant to read such review following your recent stay at the Mövenpick Hotel Lausanne. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we were up to your expectations...

You are right in mentionning the business rooms with extra added comfort and home feeling ! They are very popular with our business clients as well as with our leisure guests. The place to stay in Lausanne !

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

The hotel is in a good location by the lake and near to the metro and bus stop.
We were upgraded to one of their new business rooms. It had free wifi, British TV channels, mini bar, a/c and balcony. It wasn't facing the lake however, it was a peaceful and quiet room. It was spotlessly clean and very modern.

The bathroom and shower facilities were very modern however, due to the frosted glass doors they didn't offer much privacy.

I found the bed hard and needed an extra pillow. I asked I reception if they had a mattress topper and an extra pillow and they happily obliged.

The cost of breakfast wasn't included in the price and I thought it was expensive so we popped out to the cafe (Tea Room, Le Quai Gourmand) for breakfast. It was a friendly place just 3 or 4 shops along the road.

We were extremely satisfied with our stay, staff were friendly and approachable, the hotel was clean, modern and our room was well located. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Just be aware of the bathroom privacy issue in the business rooms. Remember that you can ask for a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SAK56
Moevenpick_Hotel_12, General Manager at Movenpick Hotel Lausanne, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Esteemed Guest,

Thank you very much for commenting your recent stay at the Mövenpick Hotel lausanne.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the comfort of our Business rooms and you are right to mention that, due to the configuration of the room and its open bathroom, privacy is only granted through frosted glass doors.

We are sorry to hear that you prefered opting for an outside offer for breakfast as you found our buffet (offering up to 100 dishes) too expensive. Please note that you can also chose 'à la carte' breakfast for your next visit.

We look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you again very soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Located just across the beautiful Lake Geneva, the hotel has very easy access to everywhere: business district, Olympic Museum, and many other interesting places in Lausanne.

Bedroom is comfortable, front-liners service is excellent and helpful, breakfast is splendid - don't miss the Movenpick coffee, so good! Definitely a most convenience hotel to stay in Lausanne.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with the best view: to the Lake Geneva. Don't miss the awesome Movenpick coffee...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Lady_Java

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for providing your comments following your recent stay at the Mövenpick Hotel Lausanne.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our services were up to your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you again very soon in our property.

Kind regards