“The best Chinese in town.”
Review of Chez Xu

Chez Xu
Ranked #81 of 751 Restaurants in Lausanne
Cuisines: Asian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The food speaks for itself - excellent - a very tasty and varied menu. Sadly no atmospheric lighting here so it's not great for romantic special occasions but, nevertheless, is a jolly and sociable place to go for wonderfully delicious food.

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Many choices of varied chinese food, to much of ajinomoto (glutamate) that make the food more tasty. But great value and should make a reservation to come there!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I rarely expect to eat decent Chinese food in Switzerland, and the few good meals I have had have been in much more expensive and fancier places. From previous reviews of the Rue de Tunnel location I was expecting a much plainer looking room but the tables were nice and the decoration simple and tasteful. Service was friendly and most importantly the menu was excellent and varied, if a bit small, and the food was really good, great ingredients and all properly prepared. Good steamed dumplings, the twice cooked star-anise flavoured pork belly strips and mushrooms were excellent, and the crispy chicken was great, crispy and very juicy as it is supposed to be. I was surprised to see everyone eating their own main course instead of sharing- I know this is common in Switzerland but it was still unusual to see such a sophisticated crowd not sharing a bunch of dishes and so not getting the benefit of the many different flavours, textures, and styles of food which a Chinese meal typically consists of. I will definitely go back with a larger group next time and try their Szechuan hotpot dish and the aubergine and pork specialty, which looked very good on a neighbour's plate. Portions were huge, one dish per person is more than enough, and a bowl of white rice was only 1 Swiss franc, while mains were very decently priced at 16-23chf. Bravo Chez Xu, you have restored my faith in being able to find affordable good Chinese food in Switzerland, and I will definitely be going back again soon.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We went to celebrate a friend's birthday on January 31, which was also the Chinese New Year. There were 2 Chinese friends among us, so they ordered for us in Chinese. We were crowded (more than 10 people) and had already made a reservation, so finding a table was no problem at all, but there was a line at the door because people were waiting for a vacant table. Suddenly, my friedn realized that her sports bag was one, with all her credit cards, ID, student card, insurance card, keys, zumba clothes, etc were stolen. The waitresses didn't help us at all, we were shocked that a pickpocket can steal one's belongings while one is sitting in peace with one's friends in a restaurant. Be extremely careful with your bags and valuables, it's not a safe place!!!

But the food is perfect! Sizzling beef and chicken with peanuts (very hot and spicy) are a must, never return without trying these two.

Reviewed 9 January 2014

I am occidental. I've been some times to chez Xu in Lausanne. This being said I can't comment on how authentic the food is but I can say that I like it. The servings are big, the food is very tasty, the service is kinda rude, the prices are great, the place is noisy and ugly and it does not give a feeling of cleanliness overall. Therefore it matched what I wanted. Or at least what I expect from a Chinese restaurant.

2  Thank FCFFCF