“Pricy for what you get”

Hotel Alpha-Palmiers
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
“Pricy for what you get”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Stayed here for a conference and arrived late for check in which was done fast and efficient. Staff we're very nice and started conversation about where I live etc. which was showing interest at first but went on for a bit long and person didn't seem to know when to stop. Hotel is modern enough inside but quality of rooms is only average. Good size but not nicely decorated and basic. Bed was comfy enough. Good to have free WiFi. While there was an iron in the room god only knows what happened to the water inside it. Breakfast is basic and Not reflective of the price. Also had lunch in the Thai which was - except for the ice cream desert - not nice at all. Whatever the chicken was cooked in tasted horrible and again overpriced (but maybe that's Switzerland). Paid almost CHF400 for 1 night stay which I felt is pure rip off. Upside is that it is 5 min from train station which suited me.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst on business in Lausanne. The hotel is very close to the train and bus station and looks very nice when entering. The check in was quick and pleasant and the room was very nice also. It was slightly odd having a glass room inside it for the toilet and bathroom but that was fine.
I arrived on a warm day in May but was unable to turn the air condition on as this is switched off until June. I went to bed about 10:30 but the noise outside was terrible, people shouting, cars revving, music blaring etc… At 01:30 the noise was still happening, in the end I had to switch my music on so I could at least listen to something pleasant. It was exactly the same the next night.. On check out I mentioned to the desk about the noise and he basically made a humpft sound and told me how much I owed him.
It cost me nearly 600CHF (£450) for two night, a single beer and 2 breakfasts and considering I hardly slept I think it is very overpriced for the service. If you have to stay here I would suggest you ask for a garden facing room (these were all booked on my visit) and not have breakfast in the hotel as it cost 25CHF. Though I did learn later that my colleague had questioned this as we only had cereal and it turn out there is a cheaper price for continently breakfast, but they do not tell you this.
Next time I have business in Lausanne I will make sure that the office doesn’t book me into this hotel again. I have given it 2 stars since the room was nice and it was very clean, but that was the only positive thing I can say about the hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure you are not in a room facing the street.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Steve T

Travellers are raving about these Lausanne hotels

lisbon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Comfortable beds, separate even though I was with my wife. Bathroom has little privacy. Very noisy street so woke up both nights. Staff just rude! Unhelpful! Breakfast poor. Elevators slow. Decoration messy. Good selection of old films on DVD. Clean. Plugs by bed for phone. Wifi slow but free and easy

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank miguelstanley
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

This is a modern hotel very close (2 minutes max) to the Lausanne train station and the subway/tram which goes to Lake Geneva and connects to other major transit points. One can easily walk to many interesting restaurants, shops, and tourist sites within 15-20 minutes. On the other hand, it is near the train station which has some seedy characters hanging around it. The hotel can be peaceful and noisy (especially when there are tour groups), smelly (perhaps from the onsite Thai restaurant) and fresh (if one opens their window), and give good and bad service at the same time. Strong points of the hotel include the professional staff at the front desk (which have a can do attitude), the very nice buffet breakfast, and the location. Weak points include the stinginess in amenities, the noisiness at times (again when there are tour groups), the housekeeping, and inconsistent water pressure/water temperature. Unfortunately, I am not sure if other local options are better or worse...

Room Tip: Definitely stay away from the elevator and get an inward looking room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Worlds_of_Wonder
athens greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I spent a night at Hotel des Palmiers in Lausanne this week
Well situated in the heart of the city , good service , but still astonished by the layout of the room + bathroom .
You expect a bathroom to have some privacy , not to be a glass cubicle in a corner of the room with a glass door which is not a door .
When I asked the - very nice - lady at the reception if they also have rooms with separated bathrooms , she answered : You mean with normal doors ? A few.
I don't know who is more responsible , the architect or the owner .
The fact is that I doubt whether either of them has spent a night in this place
Next step will be to take away the glass separation and have the bath in the room .
It's a pity , because this hotel has, otherwise, some interesting features .
Nikolaos Iliaskos , Switzerland

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed in this hotel 8 times in 2012.

I really like the rooms (comfortable and big), the breakfast and even a mini sauna in 6th floor.

Some say for 25 chf is quite expensive but we are in Switzerland and the breakfast is one of the best i saw in Switzerland (more than 80 things to choose). Really impressive and tasty.

When i go back to Lausanne this is my first choice for a quality stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
citylausanne, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Alpha-Palmiers, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for having taken the time to send us your feedback, your comment is very important to us.
We are very happy to have you as one of our loyal customers and we are waiting to welcome you again in our hotel!
Please accept our best wishes.

Your Fassbindhotels team
Losone, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

I will certainly go back, great position centre Lausanne, rooms are spacious and nothing is missing, good service, also for breakfast (a bit expensive 25.-Sfr) ask for rooms looking the inside of park, more quite at night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business