“Fantastic staff”

Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Scarborough
“Fantastic staff”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I had the pleasure of staying there on business and was welcomed by very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are rather small and average and the bed was extra hard for my taste. The TV also has a strange operating system. However, on the plus side, I really appreciated the rainfall showerhead, the AC unit and the breakfast buffet. It is being renovated at the moment, so the entrance might be hard to find, but I will certainly return to the Continental.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank gone_aforeign

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Centrally located next to the train station, although the car parking is further away (charge is CHF 7 per exit). Outside of the hotel looks like an old apartment building and hotel is totally being renovated. Staff was friendly and efficient. Our family room was spacious and renovated (except for some old curtains and fixings), with decent beds and good bathroom. Nice view of Lausanne and the lake. We got a free Lausanne pass which allowed us to take the bus/tram around the city. Breakfast was included but was very minimal, not much choice. Overall, I felt it was overpriced (we paid almost EUR 200 for one night) for what we got, especially taking the renovation and the disappointing breakfast into account.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Eric1313
UK
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Good location but very dated place. It is undergoing a renovation which is causing chaos & mess. Don't stay until this is complete!
Beds are super hard, not a great sleep.
Free nespresso is good.
Breakfast is OK, not great.

Room Tip: at the back
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank hb2v
Atlanta Georgia
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Location

The location was ideal for me. Directly across the street from the train station, and next door to the metro station. Rick Steves, my travel guide hero, says that you can see the Lake Geneva highlights in a day. He is quite right, especially if you overnight in such a convenient location--and have the energy. However, the gentleman who checked me in, remarked, during our conversation, that the hotel gets primarily business clientele. I suppose that most tourists either stay down by the lake or further up from the lake in the historic area. I don't see and advantage to either over the Continental Hotel.

Check-in

Check-in was the most professional that I have encountered on this trip. I walked into my room thinking that this was going to be a "four rating," guaranteed. What made it so professional was that the gentleman who greeted me was thorough and concise explaining that 5.6 CHF in a city tax would be due at check out, how the metro worked, that I had not booked breakfast, but what it would cost and what was included.

He then walked me to the elevator. What? Yes, keep in mind that this is an older European Hotel. I assure you that many American has returned to the desk with the complaint that the elevator is not working. They are 1950/60s throwback elevators with exterior doors that must be manually pulled open. If throwback suggests a modern contraption that resembles a historic one, that is not what I mean. These were genuine historic elevators. Very quaint.

Room

Then I got to the room. It was definitely on the small side. That is not a major issue, because it did have a double bed, which was comfortable. But in full disclosure, I did have to shimmy between the foot of the bed and the wall. However, a negative that I cannot ignore is that the safe did not work.

The bathroom and shower were a little small, particularly the shower. As discussed below, they are renovating the hotel, and my room had been upgraded, I assume. They installed a very nice rain shower head. Problem was, you couldn't really enjoy it in the tiny space. Because of the spacing required for such a fancy shower, the flow was just a tad, to close to the door of the shower. A conventional shower head that projected from the wall might have been a better choice in the tiny showers in single rooms like mine.

WiFi

I always give kudos to hotels that realize that WiFi is now an essential hotel service the same as running water, lighting, and television. In plain language, there was no attempt to gouge a premium for WiFi service, and the signal was strong, stable, and fast.

By the way, speaking of television, they have installed a system that allows the identification of channels by language. In over 150 nights in European Hotels, I have longed for such a system, but this was the first time I have ever seen one. It was great.

Construction

You will note from my pictures that the hotel is undergoing renovations. However, for me, the construction was not an issue. I arrived on a Friday and left the following Sunday, so perhaps there was no work underway most of my stay. I will admit that immediately upon my arrival at approximately noon, there was some "drilling" underway in the room above me. If I had been planning to take a nap at the time, we might have had a problem.

Check-out

Check-out was not quite as professional as check-in. My perception was probably primarily a cultural issue, rather than a real one. As mentioned above, a 5.5 CHF city tax was due. Keep in mind, that I am the type of American who charges a loaf of bread--meaning I charge everything. In consideration, Delta Airlines flies me to Europe in business class once a year or so. That adds up to a pretty good rebate on everything that I buy. So I said to put the remaining charge on my credit card. The clerk, with just a hint of French arrogance, said that I could not put the charge on the card I had provided at check-in, I would have to use a different card--"for my protection." What is that you say? Well not worth debating. I just detest cockamamie explanations.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kerwin G
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were really looking forward to three days in this hotel at Lausanne. The room we paid for was a 'Classic' room, including full buffet breakfast and free tea and coffee making facilities. The room was comfortable, fairly spacious and with a view over the train station across to the lake. Proximity to the station was really important to us as we planned several train trips using Lausanne as a base. We were unaware that there were renovations to the entry and lobby.

Unfortunately, the communication between the head office and the Lausanne hotel did not show what we had booked and had confirmed to us by email. (The desk told us that this type of booking was no longer being made and that buffet breakfast and free tea/coffee was now an extra to be paid for). Consequently it was only with some difficulty that we got the tea and coffee making facilities and full buffet breakfast that we had already paid in our booking. It took 24 hours to fully resolve this. Other than that, service was good and reception staff were helpful.

I would recommend this hotel if access to the train station is important, but otherwise would look to compare it with other options as we have had similar rooms at a lower cost in other towns.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 30 April 2014

There is only one advantage in this hotel - it is their staff. These people are trying hard and doing their best to assist the visitors and to wear off a bad impression of the hotel itself. The rooms are small, but clean (first thank you to the staff), the Reception area is a disaster, watch your steps carefully, but the receptionist are very friendly and polite (second thank you to the staff), the breakfast if awful even if you take a 26 Franks buffet (but the staff in the restaurant are great, they explain everything to the guests and work very quickly, my third thank you to them), the area is good only for those who is planning some daily commuting by train, and dirty and noisy for the rest. All in all the staff is the only asset of this hotel, try some other option.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a back view.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank swallow2
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The room was okay, somewhat spacious with a decent size bed. WiFi was practically non-existent. The worst aspects of the hotel were the depressing selection at breakfast - nothing but cereal and croissants, and a strong stench that you experience as you first enter the hallway upstairs. The reception looks like it was under construction so maybe I just got there at a bad time. The one staff member I encountered during my week's stay was friendly. Good location for Lausanne.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business