This is the where Lord Byron stayed when he was in Lausanne (at that time it was the Hôtel de l'Ancre), so I went in for a beer and a look. It's changed a lot since 1816, of course, but it's still pretty impressive, and the Lausanne ladies having lunch in the restaurant, with small white dogs under the tables, looked just as aristocratic as one imagines guests were in Byron's day. Good beer, and friendly, professional service.
Byron and Shelley used to go sailing on the lake. (Once a storm blew up and Shelley, who couldn't swim, was nearly drowned.) I wonder if they used to hire a boat from the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the shores of Lake Geneva, facing the Alps and just five minutes from the centre of Lausanne, the Angleterre & Residence, offers a world of refinement, elegance and absolute calm. Divided into six pavilions dating from the 18th, 19th and 21st centuries, this one-of-a-kind hotel features contemporary decor with clean lines within walls steeped in history. The Italian restaurant "L'Accademia" invites you to discover its friendly atmosphere and warm designer decor. The heated outdoor pool at the Angleterre & Residence stands in the midst of a lush green garden and is open in summer. Otherwise, a fitness centre is at your disposal all year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Angleterre & Residence Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Angleterre And Residence Hotel
- Angleterre Residence Hotel
- Angleterre Residence Lausanne