“Not that bad”

Swiss Wine by Fassbind
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Reviewed 20 October 2012

The main plus for this hotel is the location right in the centre with a metro station just outside. Inside I found the staff helpful, the rooms a bit small but clean and comfortable. I had a bit of noise from late night revellers which was a bit disturbing on the Friday evening but otherwise, it was fine.

The breakfast room does have a great view of the Cathedral and the breakfast is fine if you stick with continental. The cooked breakfast was not so great......to be frank they have to be the worst scrambled eggs I ever eaten but then...hey... we are on the continent.

Room Tip: One with a window away from the main street might be quieter
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 September 2012

On a weekend in Switzerland, we chose to stay here because of the price and location. We ended up leaving after one night - completely terrible. The rooms are shoddy - wallpaper is peeling, and the carpet is infested with something that makes you itch. The bathroom is not in a good state (mold etc). If you stay during the summer, as we attempted to, you can not sleep because there is no air control, and being in the center of teh city, you can not leave the windows open (loud). I would not even stay here if it was offered for free.

Room Tip: no rooms have AC, as a warning.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank mad2live482
Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

I just got to this hotel and i am mortified. There is a urine stain on the wall!!! On top of that it is generally extremely run down. The bathroom is something out of the 60s. The wallpaper is falling apart. And it is 100% true what the other reviwers said about the elevator carpet. It is the nastiest carpet i have ever encountered! Will let pictures speak for themselves.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The location is in the city center and close to metro and stores.
The stuff is great. I payed for a single room and since they had an opportunity they gave me a double room. Very nice gesture. Not all the rooms have a good view. I asked for one with a view and got it on the 3rd floor, even with a small balcony.
They have this breakfast restaurant with a fabulous view in the city. It's a pleasure to sit there and have this great view.
The rooms are clean. In generally nice hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
citylausanne, Guest Relations Manager at Swiss Wine by Fassbind, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

We are really happy to see that you enjoyed our central location and the amazing view from the breakfast room on the Cathedral. We hope to welcome you soon again!

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We chose this hotel for its convenience to the Metro after arriving by train at the main railway station.Its only a few stops away. First problem was finding it in the dark as there is a lower and upper exit in the metro. Make sure you come out at the top exit where the hotel is just opposite.The receptionist was welcoming and helpful but the room very dated and in need of a major makeover.There is no air con so the room got hot and stuffy at night.The windows did open but the noise from the busy street outside made this intolerable. Breakfast selection excellent but expensive at 20CHF. You pay for the view across to the cathedral it seems.All in all its OK for a v quick stopover but not a weeks stay.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank G J W
Reviewed 29 January 2012

We stayed here over Christmas and were happy with our stay.

We were able to check in earlier than the check in time. This was despite a light hearted comment from the receptionist upon our arrival, about it not yet being check out time...!
We are not early risers so we never had breakfast in the hotel, but there are are some good coffee shops on the right just outside the hotel.

Maybe some of the rooms are already renovated and others not?
Our room was clean; the bed was comfortable; the heating worked very well.
Our bathroom was admitedly last decorated in the 80's, but it was clean and fuctional.
There was a great view over to the cathedral from the room.
We will return to this hotel next time we are in Lausanne.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EnglishmaninParis129
Reviewed 26 January 2012

During 2011, I spent around 40 weeks in Lausanne on business and on one unfortunate occasion in early March I stayed at Hotel City of the Fassbind group.
Do not be mistaken, the price indeed indicates a 3 -or 4 star hotel (243 CHF without breakfast) but the hotel itself would not earn any stars from me.

First of all, just to show how misleading they are, in the reservation they stated 'Free multilingual DVD lending ', which is just not true. Not that I wanted to lend any DVDs, but if so, I could have done it for a fee. And I did not make a reservation through any travel agent or third party site, but on the hotel chain's own website.

Arriving to the hotel I already felt taken back into the 1950's. As you can see on the hotel's own picture provided, there is a sort of key-box with the room numbers where you should put your keys - you are indeed encouraged for this action as you get a keychain of one kg at least. Well, I rather took the weight from the key as there is no way I am putting my room key out there for the public.

Reception staff is very rude and does not speak a word English although I am sure he understood us. So just plainly rude.

Then you get into the elevator where you already get an idea about the cleanliness of the hotel. The whole elevator is covered in carpet which must have been there, uncleaned, for the last 50 years. It stinks accordingly.
You get out of the elevator and still have a few stairs to go down with your suitcase.

The room? As stinky as the elevator, no doubt. Same outdated carpet everywhere in the very small room, with a lot of stains. A bathroom where I felt I would rather not have a shower, it was so disgusting. I went to the public swimming pool instead which is not that far away from the hotel.

I found a beer glass in the mini-bar which was obviously used by a former guest and not been washed up by the staff - and it was left like that during my entire stay. How disgusting is that?
I bought my own beer for one night and drank it in the room (straight from the bottle ;) ), along with some chocolates. This must have given an idea for some of the staff, because a few days after I left I discovered that they charged some extra items to my credit card after I left! It took me a few emails to the management to get my money back. It is a shame that they allow themselves something like this and they just go and charge whatever they want after I left, without my authorisation or any invoices.

It is just a big laugh afterwards what you see on a plate above the hotel entrance: 4-star quality for 3-star prices. Ridiculous.

I would say never go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Just don't go there
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business