“Great connectivity!”

Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Delhi, Delhi, India
“Great connectivity!”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel in a family room for 4 nights. The hotel itself may not seem very exciting but it's very well connected to the city. The metro station just outside the main gate makes life very easy for travellers. The area is full of beer pubs, food places & coffee shops which also adds to the convenience. However, there is a lot of noise in adjoining streets in the night, a bit of a problem for those who want a sound sleep. Some of the staff is extremely helpful. We can never forget how Rosella at the reception helped us with all our train & hotel bookings in the middle of the night. Overall the experience was fine.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hungarian first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I never cease to be amazed by the audacious pricing of Switzerland. In the light of that comment I guess the cost of this very basic hotel is reasonable but the breakfast on top is a total take-on. Twenty Swiss francs would be difficult to justify for a full cooked breakfast (if there was one) but as a carbs conscious dieter I was hard pushed to find anything I wanted to eat once I had discounted bread. Some very slimy ham out of a packet, small quantity. Cereals. Everything tired.
The rooms, although clean enough, have seen better days, especially the bathrooms. No air-conditioning but fans supplied. I had the window open on a very stuffy night and was kept awake by roaming groups of lads until the early hours.
My major problem was access to the Internet. Wi-fi was promised but the Internet kept disappearing. Even when it was there the capacity was clearly not enough for multiple users. As a female loan traveller I did not want to be out in the restaurants at night so was reliant on my computer for entertainment. No access to English television at all in the room. I stay in this hotel because it's handy for where I want go, lower in price than many and is very well positioned. However, when I left this time I was not sorry to say goodbye for the final time.

Final note. I love the little lady in the breakfast room. She is a one-off.

Room Tip: 1-5 look over the street. Noisy if you want window open. Very over-looked by buildings opposite
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Decent value for the money (since it's so expensive in Lausanne), but we were not prepared for this hotel. We were told that we got a sound-proof, larger end-unit room. When we got to our room, the wall was angled and had such a small opening our luggage almost couldn't fit through.

There was no Air Conditioning in the room, just one small fan to oscillate the entire room including the bathroom. Every time we turned on the bathroom light, the vent fan would pop in and out before the lights flickered on.

The floors were not clean enough to walk around barefoot, and the bathroom decor was very outdated. While they did have a safe and a small fridge in the room, they did not have an iron; we had to ask the front desk to borrow the iron and ironing board. The "free Wi-Fi" that is offered on the hotel website and at the front desk did not work in our room, which was right around the corner from the front desk. We had to go out to the front desk area to even get access to the internet.

Very convenient location, the Metro and sites are all around this area, and the train station is nearby. All of that being said, it was a lower price than other hotels in the area, so this is a budget-friendly option. We did stay there for 3 nights, and it was manageable. Friendly and helpful front desk staff were a plus as well.

Room Tip: Free metro pass when checking into this hotel!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We booked the hotel on the internet, for a short break. The hotel was clean, the rooms recently refurbished and the location very central for the old town and shops. The hotel is located at the exit of an underground station - 10 meter walk to the lift.

The hotel has coffee making facilities and an international TV for most main European channels. We did not have breakfast as it was pricey, we had pastries from a local bakery and coffee.

The City is very expensive for eating and travel, however some of the sights are worthwhile seeing, including a day trip to France.

Overall, if you have to go to Laussane, City Hotel is good value, however if you are on a short break Austria or Bavaria is much much better value overall than Switzerland.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor facing the road 503 which was Ok, road was quiet late at night
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
switzerland
Reviewed 25 February 2013

not really my usual type of hotel, but having planed to come back to bed at 2 am leaving at 8 am i thought it was the ideal place. good location if you plan to visit the old town or the bars around there, not ideal if you want to go to the next trendy part of Lausanne. Service was ok, rooms were clean even though style dates back to the 90ies. i got a reduction on my parking ticket at a nearby parking...but on Sunday there was nobody there to give me my reduction. Considering the low price quality was good

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
Rovato, Italy
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Beautiful views of the Gothic cathedral from the room, which was pretty clean. The receptionists were very friendly and helpful. Entrance of the hotel there is a metro station. Good quality / price ratio.

Room Tip: Select the front-cathedral side rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
New York City
Reviewed 8 January 2013

My husband thought he'd be budget conscious and book this hotel for us and our 11 year old son for 2 nights, and also because of it's great location.
A few weeks ago when we were here, we stayed at The Montreux Palace...the type of place we usually stay, and comparatively, this hotel isn't such a bargain, price wise.
Went to get 2 tiny cups of coffee from the dining room this morning (6 SF and they were totally annoyed I dripped some out of the teensy cups.) I was told to 'bring the cups back!!! (With wagging finger.)
The place is clean enough and when the man at the desk does bother to look up from his computer, he's helpful enough...but I'm a grown up and my youth hostel days are long over. I don't travel with a back pack.
I'm now looking for something nicer.

Room Tip: We are in room 505 an the view is good.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family