“OK hotel in the city”

Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Manchester, United Kingdom
“OK hotel in the city”
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed on business just for the 1 night. Hotel was nice and clean and the staff were quite helpful. Everything you would expect from a city centre hotel. Free wifi was a nice touch as was the travel card to get back to the train station.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed 10 February 2014

The best aspect of this hotel was its location, that was the reason we had chosen it in the first place. (Oh and the shop that we discovered right next to it which sold beautiful handmade one of a kind Italian purses and wallets!) Aside from the location, unfortunately I did not enjoy it much. The breakfast was expensive therefore we opted out of it. One of the legs of the table in our room was broken, thus it was never stable. Didn't have much of a view from our room, the buildings were pretty close by (not that these were much of a problem) and some nights were pretty loud outside. There was something wrong with the internet connectivity; we discovered that two people were not able to log in at the same time! I would say it was doable for a short stay, but I don't know if I would consider staying here again..

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank bgoknil
citylausanne, Guest Relations Manager at Swiss Wine by Fassbind, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback, your comment is very important to us.
Now we propose also a small breakfast at 6.- CHF per person and our internet connectivity problems have been fixed since your visit to our hotel.

Your Fassbindhotels team
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

To anyone who is thinking of staying at Hotel City: just don't do it.

I was underwhelmed, disappointed and at some points horrified by the quality of my stay. For one, the breakfast was overpriced and lacking in variety. The so-called "hot buffet" was composed of three tiny trays of tasteless sausage, flavorless scrambled eggs, and tough-to-chew bacon that was more a soup of grease than anything. Aside from this, they only offer a small selection of bread, jams, and the like. The selection did not change the entire time I was there, which was nearly two weeks. Not to mention the rude female staff member who appeared to be shouting aggressively at the clients.

At one point she also, for some reason, doubled as a housekeeper. One Sunday morning, while I was trying to sleep in, she banged on the door shouting for several minutes. When I did not open the door, she would continue knocking on it loudly. At one point I even heard her scoffing. She was so loud that morning that the people in the next room opened their door to see what the commotion was about. If that wasn't enough, after making such a racket, she called the room phone demanding if we wanted cleaning. I feel like all of this was unnecessary -- in all of the other hotels that I have stayed at, housekeeping will simply move on if the guests are still in the room trying to sleep.

The rooms themselves were disgusting. Mine had a distinct stale food smell, and in the wardrobe I found old nut shells that the last guest had clearly left behind. There were also cigarette butts on the balcony that had not been cleaned up either. In addition, the sheets were never changed while I was there. As for comfort, the room was severely lacking. I did not realize that soft pillows could ever be a problem until I stayed at Hotel City. The pillows -- if they could be called as such -- offered no support to my head and were nearly impossible to sleep with. The blanket would constantly come out of its sheet, exposing strange dark stains. Since staying at the hotel, nearly each one of my family members has experienced skin problems. One of the children staying with me developed rashes; my sister and I both felt itchy after sleeping in the beds.

The bathroom was not up to standard either. The faucet in the bathtub emitted an annoying, high-pitched shriek every time it was turned on. The bathtub was leaky, so the carpet directly outside the bathroom would get soaked every time I took a bath.

There are so many other things I could complain about. But judging by the responses that the Hotel City management has posted on this page, they will find some way to turn the blame on the guests -- such as their suggestion towards one commenter that he/she should have paid an extra 20 CHF for a "superior" room. Or, towards another commenter, that it was some other guest's fault that his/her room smelled like cigarettes. (While it was most likely indeed a previous guest that smoked in the room, it is still the HOTEL'S responsibility to take care of the problem rather than assigning blame.) So I will stop here, and you should too if you are considering booking a room here for any length of stay.

Room Tip: Book one in a different hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Shermo23
citylausanne, Guest Relations Manager at Swiss Wine by Fassbind, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Sir, Dear Madam,

We thank you for your extensive message. We will have a meeting with the staff to check what happened during your stay.

Your Hotel City team

Travellers are raving about these Lausanne hotels

Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I was in Lausanne 3 daye and did not sleep well because my room 4 floor was to street side and terrible noisy, door to balcony was 2 glass but did not went lock well and all next side of street restaurant sound came in. Hotel room was ok but smell cicaret,non smoking room!.Breakfast was ok and staff was nice. supermarket next building was great, fantastic selection of wine and special food.

Room Tip: ask room to lake side
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
citylausanne, Guest Relations Manager at Swiss Wine by Fassbind, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing to spend your time with us in one of our Fassbind Hotels. We thank you for your feedback and apologize for the noisiness and the cigarette smell in your room. For your next reservation we recommend you to book for only Chf. 20. - more a cathedral Side/superior room. These rooms are a lot quieter. And indeed, all our rooms are non-smoking rooms. Unfortunately, sometimes it is not well respected.

We hope your next stay in our Fassbind hotels will be really "perfect"!

Your hotel City Team
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Swiss Hotels are known worldwide for their high quality standards... unless they are "cheap" hotels. If you want a good hotel in Switzerland, you will find a lot of them, but do expect to pay a small fortune for them. On the other side, you can opt for a "budget" hotel (by Swiss standards, of course)... in that case, expect to pay a considerable amount for a poor service. A good example of this is the Hotel City. The only good thing about it is its excellent location, right in front of the Bessières metro station, and very close to the old town and bars and restaurants.

Otherwise you will find an extremely basic and old fashioned hotel with really noisy rooms which will make difficult your sleep.

And that's about it...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Marriottsville, Maryland
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Location - I love the fact that this hotel is so conveniently located. I mean literally, you walk out of the hotel to the train station that will take you anywhere. Not to mention that it is across the street from a supermarket (in case you decide to forgo an an expensive swiss meal, buy cheese & wine, sit on the balcony in your hotel room, & look at the lights of the beautiful city of Lausanne. And on Saturdays there is a Farmers' Market immediately across from the hotel where you will find an array of cheeses, meats, fresh produce, and yes....a garage sale. Now the garage sale I loved because I found some fasionable European clothes & shoes at a reasonable non-swiss price.
The people - Everyone we encountered was so kind, accommodating.....
The lodgings - Staff....couldn't say enough nice things. Breakfast average...in fact I would skip and wonder around town, find a cafe'. Rooms...average 1980's plastic like furniture, pink carpet, but clean..... I would rather spend the money I saved on the hotel on other things anyway
I will post some pictures & hopefully this will give a better idea of the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kristinadele
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I travel a lot in this part of Europe on both business and pleasure, but this hotel was chosen at the last minute as work overran and I did not have enough time to get back to Paris. The staff were lovely to be fair and the place was clean but the rooms were somewhat plain and boring and a bit of attention would help a great deal.

Great location for some places of interest and I might stay there again at a push, but I wouldn't rush back.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business