“Convenience”
Review of Hotel AlaGare

Hotel AlaGare
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Ideally located near the railway, metro routes and shops. Very affordable price tag and although the rooms are small, they are equipped with every thing a traveller might need, including free Wi-Fi in the rooms, coffee and the customary chocolate on the bedside.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel AlaGare

Reviewed 27 January 2013

As an event I was attending ended late, I had to stay a night in Lausanne and put myself up in this hotel because it was close to the train station, which I intended to use the following morning. Of course I didn't pay the demanded rack rate of Fr 200-250 per night for this place, whose three star rating seems to me to be a figment of somebody's imagination.
The building is old and a bit musty, whereas the furniture looks like the latest fashion - of the 1960's. The rooms are large, but would you believe it that in the dead of winter in cold Switzerland there was no way of heating either the bathroom or the separate toilet? The very small TV has only one (!) English speaking station. The promised free wifi did not work at all, and the guest computer in the lobby had "mysteriously" disappeared. Breakfast was humdrum, a meager buffet whose cheap offerings barely meet Swiss standards..
To top it all off, the clerk at the reception forgot to input my wake up call into the automated system, so I almost missed my train...
My advise - stay away!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Booked this hotel because it is close to the station, very easy to find but make sure you leave the station at the platform 9 end. The staff on reception were very polite and friendly as was the lady in the breakfast room. Our room was a good size with a king size, extremely comfortable bed with nice crisp and clean bedding. bathroom was a bit on the small side which seems par for the course in Europe. The breakfast was mainly cereals, bread and cold meats and cheese which was probably all that we needed since we have been eating too much on this trip anyway. Coffee and tea making facilities in the room was a plus. All in all a pleasant stay and would recommend and stay again if we are in Lausanne.

Room Tip: We had room 106 which opened out onto a private courtyard,
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2012

My friend and I stayed here recently for one night and have no complaints whatsoever. The staff was nice enough, the rooms were fine, and the location to the train station couldn't be beat. It is literally out of the window. I read some of the comments about train noise in the summer time, but we didn't notice as it was December and we had the windows closed. Rooms were European style cozy and clean. There was a TV and tea/coffee service in the rooms. Breakfast was not included in the hotel price, but could have been purchased for something like 20 Euro. I forget the exact price. My friend and I did not opt for the breakfast add-on. This is the first hotel I have stayed at in Europe recently that did not have breakfast included. A super perk of this hotel though was that they gave us a free transit card good for unlimited travel around Lausanne. They marked it for us for the day we arrived and the day we left, so we got good use of it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2012

i stayed for one night in August, on a crisp cool night.

The proximity to the train station made it so easy to drop off my bags and go see the town. I loved having coffee/tea services in the room. I shared a bathroom on the floor, and it was always clean and empty. Having a sink in the room was very much appreciated.

There wasn't a lot of room to move around, but I was one person, so it didn't matter so much.
My window opened up right to the train tracks. I heard the trains at night, but it was not so bad. The location and coffee services made up for any noise!

I also booked an amazing deal off of Booking.com. Check there for possible discounts!

Room Tip: The upper floors are better, since the windows open up onto the train tracks.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Megan C
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The location is great - close to the metro station, and they provide a free travel card for all the bus and metro area.
The room was not big (rather small, European stile), but sufficient, and since it was not facing the railway, it was quiet enough at night for us to have a decent sleep.
Breakfast - the room and its furniture was great, and so was the food.
The staff were polite and helpful.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the road, not the railway station!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stayed for one night at the hotel AlaGare during our vacation in France and Switzerland. The hotel is close to the Lausanne trainstation with train and bus connections throughout Switzerland and France, a 45 minutes trainride takes you to Geneva, 20 minutes to Montreux and a 25 minutes ferryride cross the Lake Geneva or Lac Leman as the locals call it, takes you to the nice towns Evian and Thonnon in France - where prices are quite low compared to Switzerlandand, but the ferryride across the lake is quite expensive. The hotel AlaGare provides you with a free ride card for local busses and Metro, so it is quite easy and cheap to get around in Lausanne.
When we arrived to the hotel the lady at the front desk was busy doing something else rather than checking us in, so we had to wait for ten minutes as the only people waiting to get checked in, and have our room. We have never experienced that before! Despite that, she was quite nice when she finally checked us in, and the room and the beds was quite allright and so was the bathroom. We were not bothered by noice from the railway or the street down below, so all in all a good value for the money - especially when you are in Switzerland where they only have to kind of prices, expensive and very expensive.
If you are in Lausanne to visit the Olympic Museum please be aware of, that the museum is closed due to renovation untill the end of 2013. There is a small exhibition on one of the old steamers on the lake right next to the museum - but it is only a small exhibition.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family