“Great place, great service” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Le Chateau d'Ouchy
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great place, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

The hotel is modern and beautiful and well situated by the lake. Clean modern minimalist style. Bathroom is beautiful. After reading previous reviews I was ready for rude staff but encountered nothing of the kind. I arrived around noon and my room wasn't ready yet but Charlotte at reception took my cell phone number to call me as soon as it was ready. I went to lunch and within 20 minutes received a call that they had gone straight to my room and cleaned it for me. Throughout the weekend meeting we had here every member of staff went above and beyond to accommodate us (only 4 of us) letting us meet in their sitting room, brought us coffees, etc. The dinner we had in the restaurant of this hotel was better than the Michelin rated place we went the next night. I was thoroughly pleased. Pricey (as with all Switzerland hotels) but fab.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tenerife, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2009

When I arrived at almost midnight, I stumbled into a sort of saturday night disco going on in the lobby. I felt that bar tenders and the consierge -once I found out where he was - where not amused to see me with my loads of suitcases. Check in was not of the warm and friendly sort.
The restaurant was already closed, there was no way of even getting a piece of bread and cheese. But there was champagne in the mini bar.
The room was small, cosy and impecably clean. Big shower, separate toilet, fluffy towels and modern decor, gread bed linnen and duvet. Absolut silence.
Breakfast was ok, but for its limited choice and lacking refill, overpriced. Service is non-existent. At 10.30 personal starts preparing tables for lunch and you may not want to stay longer.
Dining was of the dark-room candle light kind. Portions are very tasty and very small Service is deficient, specially when it comes to 10 p.m., when personal starts to prepare tables for breakfast.. Prices are of the higher kind.
The Hotel lobby is a fashionable bar for fashionable people.
Access to the elevator and Hotel rooms are not controlled in any way.
To sum up, I do not regret having stayed here, as the room was nice, but I will try another Hotel on my next stay in Lausanne.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2009

The Hotel: A beautiful Castle on the outside is a modernly styled hotel on the inside. The Room: We booked a Junior Suite which ended up being a lovely room in the tower with basically it's own elevator. It had a lovely view of the lake and the coast, but "full ocean view" folks should be warned that it's more of a side view.
The bed was very firm and the pillows very flat. For those who like softer beds, it will be uncomfortable for you.
The bathroom was a single sink with not a lot of space for toiletries. The shower was a tub conversion that was difficult to use in an American Fashion. The showerhead faced outwards, mounted on a side wall (instead of the end) and therefore showered the floor with sopious amounts of water, despite the small glass enclosure.
The room was virtually spotless with only a few cosmetic blemishes. The recent remodel was done in excellent fashion.
The Location: The hotel is located on a very busy street in a somewhat busy tourist zone in a harbor. Our room was fairly quiet despite the busy location.
You are within walking distance to the Olympic Museum, Paddle Boat Rentals, and several other Museums. The Metro is easily accessable should you want to go into Upper Lausanne.
The Surroundings: Be prepared to pay lots of money for food in Switzerland. As of my visit, the USD and Swiss Dollar were virtually even, but food was 3 times as expensive as in the States. Fondue for 2 at the cafe across the street? $40. That's before water & wine. There is a small grocery store nearby if you want to stock up on some basics and there are several sandwich and bakery places as well.
The employees: Overall were very nice. The bar staff was a little flaky and rude, but we could deal with it.

The buffet breakfast was wonderful - one of the best I've had in Europe. We had a rate that included it and I'm so happy that we did.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

We arrived at the hotel nearly one hour after check - in time, but we were told that our room wasn't ready. We didn't expect to hear this from a 4 star hotel. The hotel wan't full and cannot imagine that our room wan't ready. We felt that they look at people and decide which room to be given to the guests. We were given a different room but not sure whether we were downgraded or just given a different room. We had dinner at the restaurant and the service was non-existent. The staff are rude, arrogant, and unfrienly.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TMNLondon
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

Very little to say except that this hotel has been very, very recently renovated and renovated perfectly. Our room had a "look out" from one of the turrets built into the castle. Seperate toilet and shower/bath is incorporated into the room. Hotel is Eco friendly without losing any of its luxuriousness. The area in Ouchy by the lake is so perfectly manicured and beautiful, it looks like a garden. The views from the hotel and from the ground are just spectacular. Please make sure you make your way to Lutry, just 10 minutes down from the lake to see how well the locals live and relax (and look for a restaurant with picnic benches - best fondue ever)
At some point I will post pictures.

Breakfast was hearty with nice hot coffee and selection of cheeses and breads and jams. Bed was very comfortable and a duvet for each occupant. I really can't fault this hotel for anything. It will appeal to those who stay away from dusty older hotels and I bet this renovation is going to do a lot for this already perfect town. It is now my "happy place".

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charpature
Sydney, NSW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

The day I arrived in Lausanne I was pick-pocketed at the train station, with all of my credit cards and nearly all of my cash, including the card I booked with. Thank God for traveller's checques! I ended up ringing home and having family fax through their CC details to pay for my accommodation and food for the duration, whilst waiting for my new cards to arrive. I arrived and the staff treated me so well.

The hotel had just completed renovations, and the final pieces of carpet were being laid on the staircase as I arrived. The rooms were clear and full of light with great bathrooms, cosy duvets and huge beds. Connected broadband was inclusive, there was wifi , but, I think, no room service. Breakfast was fantastic! Apart from cereals, yoghurt and breads, a full breakfast was cooked to order, and fruit, cheese and even garden salad were inclusive. The restaurant was full at night (reservations definitely required) and the bar was rather chi chi and had quite an upmarket clientele.

What would have been a depressing stay in one of the world's most beautiful spots turned out to be a joy thanks to Olivier and the wonderful staff. Many thanks!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
Cambridge
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

This hotel has a nice locaion on the lake in Lausanne. However I do not recommend you stay at the hotel. (1) There were spider webs in my room (2) i made a booking on the SLH web site which states that breakfast was included. When I checked out the person charged me 30SF each day for breakfast and refused to budge. Since I only had a cafe and piece of bread each day it was the most expensive beakfasts I have ever eaten. Dare I say it was a ***rip off.***

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business