“Clean and comfortable”
Review of Hotel Aulac

Hotel Aulac
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Excellent value hotel in a great location, central to sights, ferry and shops. The room was well appointed, clean and comfortable. We walked to all areas along the lake front and caught the train to central Lausanne. The ferry was straight across the road making a day trip to Evian very easy.

Room Tip: we stayed at the rear of the hotel and had peace and quiet
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helendw2013

Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is a superbly located hotel; about a minute from the waterfront and even less than that from the metro. The staff are friendly and there is a cheery atmosphere about the place. It is a three star, but it is everything a good three star should be – nothing fancy, but clean and comfortable with a good breakfast. At first I was sorry not to have booked a room with a view of the lake which colleagues said was spectacular, but on my last night Switzerland lost to Argentina in the World Cup so a room at the back made up in peace and quiet what it lacked in scenery. My only complaint was about the pillows which are enormous: great for reading in bed or watching the TV, but impossible to get under your head comfortably when it is time to go to sleep. The TV has a mind numbing number of channels in almost every language you can imagine.

However what defined the hotel for me was something that occurred after I had left. It was only when I was going through security at Geneva airport that I discovered that I had left my iPad in my bedroom. As soon as I cleared security, I rang the hotel. They sent somebody to the room immediately, found it and mailed in to me in Ireland the following day. It arrived two days later. When I e-mailed them and offered to pay for the postage, said that there would be no charge. That is what I call style. I will be staying there next time I am in Lausanne.

Room Tip: There were several colleagues staying with me who said the lake view was worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Frank B
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I came to Lausanne to enjoy myself by the lakeside and I was not disappointed though it was a bit costly. The hotel is good and the breakfast is good. However, things are pricey by the lake area (or perhaps Lausanne in general).
What I think needs improvement is the directions to the hotel and the general idea about Lausanne. The direction on the webpage is not at all clear. It should have mentioned that there are stairs and steps along the walkway from the train station to the hotel. Since the hotel is quite far from the train station, there should be a clear explanation that taking the metro is convenient even if you have luggage since there are elevators we can use.
I would recommend that IF you want to walk from the train station to the hotel, take the main streets. It is downhill. So walking to the hotel from the train station, though far, is ok. But walking from the hotel to the station is UPHILL so it is better to take the metro, especially since we don’t need to pay for it. (The hotel gives a transportation pass once you check in.)
BTW, people speak French in general. Some may understand a little bit of English.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the lake view AND a balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank C-Charlie-008
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were given a tiny room...but that seems to be standard in Europe unless you want to pay a super premium...but it had a fantastic view of a marina, the lake, and the promenade. It was beautiful! Every night there was music on the promenade, boats racing on the lake, a little market, and people happily enjoying life. The hotel is attached to the metro to downtown Lausanne so that is very handy. I went shopping while my husband went to a conference. The Internation Olympic museum is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and well worth a visit. The hotel sells discounted tickets to the museum. The WiFi was great. It was clean. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Lake!
Reviewed 21 May 2014

From the beginning this experience was so substandard I could not believe I was in Switzerland. the mattress are soft and springy, the rooms small. When I asked for a machine coffee at breakfast I was told very rudely that I would have to put it on my room. The final straw for me was when I got out of the shower on my second day to discover there were no towels. On phoning reception i was told someone would be with me in a minute. They arrived fast but were incredulous about the towels while i stood there wet and freezing, only going to get fresh ones having interrogated me about the lack as if I was lying. At no point did anyone apologise to me in this sequence! This is a hotel that is protected by its location and relative quiet from going out of business. Truly appalling!!!

Room Tip: Don't book one at all
3  Thank geoff8784
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The hotel isn't the most up to date but everything works and everything is spotless. I was there attending a meeting and therefore i can only say for this type of thing the food was hot, on time and fine.
The bedrooms aren't huge but are comfortable, with windows that open and all the usual facilities (tea coffee mini bar etc) The TV had channels in English which weren't only news. Another nice touch was the free wifi and travel passes to get us around town. The bathroom was fresh without odour (and also extra toiletries such as body lotion etc) but it had the basics-liquid soap which doubled as shampoo and a hairdryer.....but it is one of those wall mounted ones, however it was surprisingly efficient.

Room Tip: We had 307 which faced the lake and mountains -spectacular
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We are a family of 4: 2 adults and 2 11 yr old twins.
In hindsight we should have booked 2 rooms.
As it was we had one room with 2 double beds for us and a bunk bed for the girls (which they loved).
We, the adults, hated the room because it was very very tiny and the furniture was tired and shabby. We did not have enough space to put our luggage and unpack - had to step over suitcases on our way to a tiny shower, where they did not provide shampoo.

Compared to spacious rooms we got used to in Zurich and Lucerne this was a big step down.

The lights form the embankment kept bugging us at night - the curtains had to be completely closed to let us sleep.
We arrived late and asked about places to eat at the reception and they told us nothing is open except some pizza place. Later on we learned there were many late opened restaurants in the upper city.
The included breakfast was mediocre and they charged extra for (very bad) coffee and tea - while in itself a small detail, this sealed for us an image of this hotel - trying to squeeze money without
providing value. The only good thing about this hotel is location right on the embankment.
Will not stay again.

Room Tip: The rooms are TINY - make sure you are ok with that and the tired decor before booking.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family