“Great room for the money”
Review of LHotel

LHotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Lausanne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2012

The room at LHotel was very small but comfortable. I was by myself and the room was a perfect size for one night. It might be difficult with 2 people in the room since there was not a lot of floor space for luggage, moving around, etc. The shower was nice, but the sink was extremely small...so small that when I washed my face all of the water got on the floor because the bowl was too small. However, the room was comfortable and quiet and perfect for a quick stay in Lausanne.

The service the next morning was a little unfriendly. When I went to sit in the lounge area after checking out, the receptionist basically kept trying to point me to the exit. After I explained to her (in my broken french) that I had to wait for an hour for a friend, she looked surprised and finally let me be.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Two nights, enjoyed the central location, you can walk everywhere or take the metro. Being on the place L'Europe and in a nice style give you an urban feeling. Rooms being not to big you prefer to stay in the very nice lobby. A good option compared to other (and more expensive) hotels.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights in March 2012. The hotel is very well situated, next door to the Metro stop, close to shops, buses, restaurants and banks. The members of staff were exceedingly helpful and polite, and all spoke good English. The rooms were modern, clean and quiet (even during the club night in the downstairs bar). The premises were decorated in a ‘minimal style’ with no wardrobe in my room but several hangers. An iPad with many channels and an email facility was in lieu of a television which needed regular charging during my stay but was simple to use. I did not eat at the hotel or drink in the bar so cannot comment on the quality of the food/drink. The room price was reasonable and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Rooms are very very tiny (also for European standars)! Nothing to put clothes in, just 3 hangers on the wall next to th bed.
1 single tiny thin towel!!!
Bathroom is build into the room but when I had a shower the floor in the bathroom and in the room became afloat! (either there is no way to really close the bathroom door in a water-proof way or one has to be super-careful about it which I did not know. So, a big lake I have to pass to access my suitcase...no towels..(.I tried to use toilet paper to get rid of most of the problem....basically means I clean the floor....)
Major problem in this regard (and others): windows cannot be opened! No adjustable air condition. To my feeling none at all (which might be better than the smoke mentioned by others) , so no hope to dry the water in the bathroom and still partly in the bedroom at all, very humid now!!
Also my reservation was lost and I was asked to return after 2h, I made clear I cannot move in-between hotels during the week (the first suggestion) as I am on a conference - it was resolved after the 2h, so "only" affected my afternoon timing/planning.
No telephone in the room. So if there is a problem, no possibility to call the reception, one has to go there.

Plus: very clean and so far the two staff people I have seen were very nice and kind. Good location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was looking forward to my stay in the newly opened designy Lhotel. First because of its great location, then because so many hotels in Lausanne are overpriced AND ugly. However, the service and the experience didn't live up to my expectations. They had messed up my reservation, even producing the printed out confirmation did nothing to resurface my data in their booking system. Whatever. The room was nice, but big big downside: The aircon cannot be adjusted individually and pulls in the cigarette smoke from just outside the hotel where people go to smoke due to Switzerland's ban on indoor smoking. When I complained the staff said there was nothing to be done about it. Guess I'll never stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Lina077
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I spent 3 nights during the Geneva Motor Show, and when i came for my last night, the door was locked, and my keycard didn't worked. I went to the reception desk and i saw my suitcase !!!
They packed my stuff, and put my suitcase at the reception while it was unpacked in my room when i left it in the morning,i had one more night to spend there !!!
They were very sorry, and said there was a booking problem, they should have called me, and that the hotel was full....
I was very upset, i didn't know where to sleep. Finally they found me a small room in an other hotel, much more better than LHotel.
I didn't slept well during the two nights i spent at the Hotel, very cold, no individual heating, i asked for an extra blanket and the guy bring me a bottle of water and a tab of paracetamol....true !
The hotel is noisy but the food at the restaurant is ok, and the hotel is very clean.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank LyssylMatin
Reviewed 15 March 2012

We recently stayed at L’Hotel for a combined business / leisure trip, spending 4 nights in a room rendered nearly uninhabitable by smoke fumes.

During each night of our stay, we were awakened by the strong presence of cigarette smoke and industrial fumes in the room. These get pulled into the air intake/ventilation system from downstairs and outside.

We complained to the desk staff on 3 separate occasions, and one of them (a very nice woman) confirmed that the problem indeed was terrible; however, no one seemed to be willing or able to do anything about the problem. Judging from other recent reviews on TripAdvisor, it seems that the problem is not an isolated incident.

The hotel rooms are supposed to be non-smoking yet the air circulation system actually pumps smoke and industrial smells into the rooms, and, without the possibility of opening a window or turning on an exhaust fan, this makes the rooms unsafe from an air quality standpoint (my wife is extremely sensitive to smoke and suffered from migraines throughout our stay at L’Hotel).

With the Geneve Motor Show taking place, there was no possibility of moving to a different hotel or we would have certainly done so.

There is no excuse for making people feel like “captives” rather than paying guests.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple