“Perfect for single traveler on a budget”
Review of LHotel

LHotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Lausanne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2013

A friend of mine booked eight rooms for us at this hotel for our two nights in Lausanne. We used the city as a base to jump by train to Le Sentier and Lavaux where our appointments were. We intended to spend very few hours in the rooms each day and we did not need one with a view. This hotel’s relatively low price and location right next to the Lausanne Flon metro station made it an ideal choice for us. It made our daily trips back and forth between the hotel and the Lausanne train station very convenient.

The room, as many reviewers have mentioned, was tiny. We had four single travelers in four rooms and four couples in four other rooms. The single travelers complained less about room size as they did not have to share it with another person and his or her luggage. There was hardly floor space around the bed to fully open the luggage. The bathroom was also not sufficiently well separated from the bedroom. I guess that was probably fair for the price. This happened to be the only hotel of all five Swiss hotels this trip where drinking water was provided in the room.

During our stay, we met two reception staffs, one with limited spoken English and the other with perfect command of it. The problem for us was that we got the first one both at the time of check-in and check-out as the English speaking one appeared to work the evening shift only. As much as morning reception lady was friendly and accommodating to our requests, she simply did not speak enough English. We would have understood each other even less if I did not speak French at all. Suddenly those casual French lessons from over a decade ago became very useful!

We did not pay the breakfast rate so I have no official comment on the breakfast service. However, judging from what little I see on my way out in the morning, you will do better elsewhere with the same amount of money they are charging for breakfast. And in any case, the supermarket is just a few steps away inside of the metro station.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ruckdee

Reviewed 9 April 2013

The location is very good because the metro and buses are nearby. There also a lot of shops, restaurants/bars and clubs near the hotel. The rooms are SO tiny. I do not recommend staying there if you are two in a room or even more than one night.

Room Tip: Make bigger rooms or decrease your prices.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2012

The room at LHotel was very small but comfortable. I was by myself and the room was a perfect size for one night. It might be difficult with 2 people in the room since there was not a lot of floor space for luggage, moving around, etc. The shower was nice, but the sink was extremely small...so small that when I washed my face all of the water got on the floor because the bowl was too small. However, the room was comfortable and quiet and perfect for a quick stay in Lausanne.

The service the next morning was a little unfriendly. When I went to sit in the lounge area after checking out, the receptionist basically kept trying to point me to the exit. After I explained to her (in my broken french) that I had to wait for an hour for a friend, she looked surprised and finally let me be.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Two nights, enjoyed the central location, you can walk everywhere or take the metro. Being on the place L'Europe and in a nice style give you an urban feeling. Rooms being not to big you prefer to stay in the very nice lobby. A good option compared to other (and more expensive) hotels.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed in this hotel for 6 nights in March 2012. The hotel is very well situated, next door to the Metro stop, close to shops, buses, restaurants and banks. The members of staff were exceedingly helpful and polite, and all spoke good English. The rooms were modern, clean and quiet (even during the club night in the downstairs bar). The premises were decorated in a ‘minimal style’ with no wardrobe in my room but several hangers. An iPad with many channels and an email facility was in lieu of a television which needed regular charging during my stay but was simple to use. I did not eat at the hotel or drink in the bar so cannot comment on the quality of the food/drink. The room price was reasonable and I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Rooms are very very tiny (also for European standars)! Nothing to put clothes in, just 3 hangers on the wall next to th bed.
1 single tiny thin towel!!!
Bathroom is build into the room but when I had a shower the floor in the bathroom and in the room became afloat! (either there is no way to really close the bathroom door in a water-proof way or one has to be super-careful about it which I did not know. So, a big lake I have to pass to access my suitcase...no towels..(.I tried to use toilet paper to get rid of most of the problem....basically means I clean the floor....)
Major problem in this regard (and others): windows cannot be opened! No adjustable air condition. To my feeling none at all (which might be better than the smoke mentioned by others) , so no hope to dry the water in the bathroom and still partly in the bedroom at all, very humid now!!
Also my reservation was lost and I was asked to return after 2h, I made clear I cannot move in-between hotels during the week (the first suggestion) as I am on a conference - it was resolved after the 2h, so "only" affected my afternoon timing/planning.
No telephone in the room. So if there is a problem, no possibility to call the reception, one has to go there.

Plus: very clean and so far the two staff people I have seen were very nice and kind. Good location.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was looking forward to my stay in the newly opened designy Lhotel. First because of its great location, then because so many hotels in Lausanne are overpriced AND ugly. However, the service and the experience didn't live up to my expectations. They had messed up my reservation, even producing the printed out confirmation did nothing to resurface my data in their booking system. Whatever. The room was nice, but big big downside: The aircon cannot be adjusted individually and pulls in the cigarette smoke from just outside the hotel where people go to smoke due to Switzerland's ban on indoor smoking. When I complained the staff said there was nothing to be done about it. Guess I'll never stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business