“No view, bad shower concept, not worth my penny”

Lausanne Guesthouse & Backpacker
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“No view, bad shower concept, not worth my penny”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012

I booked this hostel based on reviews and I have to say I it's the 10% chance that such a booking can go wrong.

First, the good: it's close proximity to the main train station, and this hostel has good wifi.

However, it really depends on where you stay since I had no view which was disappointing since I booked because of it. It would help if the guesthouse provided info on which rooms have view and which don't.

The bad: the showers! I stayed at a 4-bed female-only dorm with shared showers & the showers here have a open concept where they are only separated by a curtain. There is no place inside your shower cubicle to hang any dry materials, save for a bar outside the shower. This meant I had to put all my clothes on the floor outside the shower - so lucky I had a bag to separate the clean from the dirty. Also, the shower was a push-function where you had to continuously push for the water flow - that was initially fine by me but what disappointed me was that the water was sparse. I judge accommodation based on the quality of the shower experience and this was a 2.0 out of 5.0.

There was no mat provided outside the showers either, and you know what, when I stepped out of the shower, I slipped and fell on my bum. IT HURT LIKE SOMETHING VULGAR.

The mirror was placed at a height where a person my height (5 ft 3 in) can only see half their face without tiptoeing. Thanks for discriminating against the vertically-challenged.

The good point was the toilets were clean.

Inside the room, there was only ONE power socket for 4 people. Wtf?! There was no place to put our technical appliances either when we charge our phones/cameras/laptops/iPad/etc so we had to stack them atop each other on top of the socket (obviously we did not charge the iPad, this simply was not feasible). in this day & age, to have only one power socket to share is really baffling. Even when I paid the deposit for the extension, we had to prioritise which appliances to charge first.

It's kind of autumn now, but it's still quite warm. There's no AC and no fan in the room, so it's quite stuffy. We opened the window but its still warm at night. Sigh.

Not one of my best hostel experiences in terms of shared toilets/rooms, but if you're looking at private rooms, then this should be the place.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank cherrywopie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
brisbane, australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed in a double room with a private bathroom. Although it seemed a bit strange that the bathroom was across the hall before we arrived, it made sense once we saw the set up. Having the bathrooms across the hall means that none of the rooms back onto the train line. I'm happy to cross a hall to get the bathroom when it meant the room itself was very quiet and had a stunning view of the town and across Lake Geneva. The view pushes this from a four to a five star review. It was breathtaking. The room itself was comfortable and the bathroom was an excellent size. I wish we'd stayed longer! It's not cheap at 130CHF a night but it is very reasonable for Lausanne and I felt that the view put it above a typical hostel/guesthouse.

It is conveniently located near the main train station and two metro stops.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Esher, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2012

Really convenient if arriving by train and generally for sightseeing in Lausanne. Very good prices for Switzerland and choices between bunk bed rooms with private bathroom opposite or twin room options etc. Very good at communicating with you prior to arrival.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank carolinejc
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

This guesthouse is only a few blocks from the train station, but can be hard to find if you aren't paying attention! We had a privat room with a semi-private bath that was shared with one other room. All of the bathrooms are across the hall from the rooms, even the rooms that have a "private" bath, so be prepared for that, although, I never saw anyone on my walk back to my room in a towel after my showers! The bathroom was very nice and clean, as was the room, which had a great view of the lake! Make sure to make dinner in the kitchen one night if you can, it's a great way to meet people and there is a great patio/yard area with tables. The kitchen was well stocked with cooking tools, plates, and glasses for anyone to use.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank WMB7
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

I stayed here for a few days and I really enjoyed it!

It is one of the cheapest options in Lausanne...still costly, by hostel standards, but cheap by Swiss standards. So, for those on a budget, this is an excellent place to stay.

The location is really handy. Very close to the train station. It is a good 30 minute walk to the harbour...but if you do not mind walking, no big deal and a good way to have a look around. Plus, well worth it when you arrive at the lake! :)

The hostel is spotlessly CLEAN. I loved that! And manages to be modern while retaining a very warm atmosphere, which is quite an accomplishment.

Wifi is free. There is a great common area that feels very homey. Great way to meet people! There is also a wonderful kitchen. One thing missing is the standard free breakfast (or even tea and coffee) that I got accustomed to all over France. But, not the end of the world.

The rooms are very good. New, comfy beds, lovely duvets. Beautiful windows! The only thing that could be improved upon was to have perhaps a couple more electrical outlets, especially in this day and age of having to charge phones, laptops, etc. Perhaps a small shelf, too, as there is nowhere to put things (aside from on the window ledge and the clothes hooks).

There are convenient lockers just outside the rooms. And the bathrooms are fantastic...so clean!

Overall, a wonderful choice in Lausanne! Make sure to visit Montreux while there.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank TanyaM212
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

THe place was spotlessly clean and efficiently run. Very handy for the station but somewhat stuck in no man's land as far as the town was concerned. Requiring an early night, I had the 4 bed dormitory to myself until just after midnight when, over the course of the next hour and a half, the other 3 occupants arrived and in near silence, working by the light of their mobile phones, managed to prepare their bunk beds, undress and soon enter the land of nod. I meanwhile was wide awake, remaining so for at least another hour..... By six o'clock, I was up, washed, dressed and headed for the station and a large cup of coffee whilst my room mates( I assume they were male from a brief flash of a rather hairy back) continued to dream their dreams.
Great venue,.. bad choice. SE(aged 73)

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

The place is very clean and had a good feel. It is close to the train line so there is a little noise, but not too bad. Upside is that it is very convinient to the train station. There is also a great Italian resturant nearby.

• Stayed June 2012