“great value - for switzerland”

Lausanne Guesthouse & Backpacker
Ranked #20 of 46 Hotels in Lausanne
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We stayed in a double room with a shared bathroom, both of which were extremely clean. The room had a great view overlooking lake geneva. We found it friendly, easy to reach from the train station and good value for money considering the price of other hotels we looked at. It was within walking distance of the old quarter and the lake. A great place to stay, especially for people without their own transport.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank MaeveAndDenise
There are newer reviews for Lausanne Guesthouse & Backpacker

Reviewed 28 November 2012

The staff were very friendly, they accepted me at the last moment and still cheerfully showed me the facilities (kitchen etc).
Wi-fi was fast and reliable. The building is a gorgeous place, set up on the hill...about 10 minutes walk down to the water and about 2-5 minutes walk to the train station.
Although a little on the pricey-side, for a hostel with only 1 power pt in my dorm room! The rooms were clean, as were the bathrooms, which proved (at least on my floor) to be quite sizeable. The patio receives full sunlight in the morning which is lovely. The kitchen is a decent size, with good facilities....microwave, stove, kettle, pots/pans etc...not to mention a free food shelf in the fridge...it meant I got bonus parmesan cheese for my pasta and when I left...I could donate my bread and spreads:) Nice!

Room Tip: Have a look at the rooms...they don't all have a great view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lou S
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This hostel is very clean, confortable and quiet. It was about 5 minutes by walk from the central station! The staff is friendly and always ready to provide information! The negative points are the obvious lack of electrical outlets in the bedrooms and the absence of breakfast.
Overall, I recommend this hostel to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank san15
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Shared 4 person bunk bed door room. Clean room with clean showers. Washer was fine but dryer was terrible. Glad they offered it but get a new dryer, one that works, please. Staff was fantastic. Good shared facilities that included kitchen, lobby/lounge and outside patio. Also had vending machine. Only 200yds from train station which had the closet supermarket, phamacy etc.-nice. 15min walk to center of town.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ted n
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I booked this hostel based on reviews and I have to say I it's the 10% chance that such a booking can go wrong.

First, the good: it's close proximity to the main train station, and this hostel has good wifi.

However, it really depends on where you stay since I had no view which was disappointing since I booked because of it. It would help if the guesthouse provided info on which rooms have view and which don't.

The bad: the showers! I stayed at a 4-bed female-only dorm with shared showers & the showers here have a open concept where they are only separated by a curtain. There is no place inside your shower cubicle to hang any dry materials, save for a bar outside the shower. This meant I had to put all my clothes on the floor outside the shower - so lucky I had a bag to separate the clean from the dirty. Also, the shower was a push-function where you had to continuously push for the water flow - that was initially fine by me but what disappointed me was that the water was sparse. I judge accommodation based on the quality of the shower experience and this was a 2.0 out of 5.0.

There was no mat provided outside the showers either, and you know what, when I stepped out of the shower, I slipped and fell on my bum. IT HURT LIKE SOMETHING VULGAR.

The mirror was placed at a height where a person my height (5 ft 3 in) can only see half their face without tiptoeing. Thanks for discriminating against the vertically-challenged.

The good point was the toilets were clean.

Inside the room, there was only ONE power socket for 4 people. Wtf?! There was no place to put our technical appliances either when we charge our phones/cameras/laptops/iPad/etc so we had to stack them atop each other on top of the socket (obviously we did not charge the iPad, this simply was not feasible). in this day & age, to have only one power socket to share is really baffling. Even when I paid the deposit for the extension, we had to prioritise which appliances to charge first.

It's kind of autumn now, but it's still quite warm. There's no AC and no fan in the room, so it's quite stuffy. We opened the window but its still warm at night. Sigh.

Not one of my best hostel experiences in terms of shared toilets/rooms, but if you're looking at private rooms, then this should be the place.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank cherrywopie
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed in a double room with a private bathroom. Although it seemed a bit strange that the bathroom was across the hall before we arrived, it made sense once we saw the set up. Having the bathrooms across the hall means that none of the rooms back onto the train line. I'm happy to cross a hall to get the bathroom when it meant the room itself was very quiet and had a stunning view of the town and across Lake Geneva. The view pushes this from a four to a five star review. It was breathtaking. The room itself was comfortable and the bathroom was an excellent size. I wish we'd stayed longer! It's not cheap at 130CHF a night but it is very reasonable for Lausanne and I felt that the view put it above a typical hostel/guesthouse.

It is conveniently located near the main train station and two metro stops.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Really convenient if arriving by train and generally for sightseeing in Lausanne. Very good prices for Switzerland and choices between bunk bed rooms with private bathroom opposite or twin room options etc. Very good at communicating with you prior to arrival.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends