“Horrible wifi”
Review of Villa Toscane

Villa Toscane
Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Montreux
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel is dated and needs an upgrade. The bed was comfy and cosy. WiFi access was hopeless it should not be advertised that it has coverage everywhere as we constantly had problems logging in and using it. We did complain about it but nothing got done to fix it. We did not even get a call with an update. Same went for a heater that we wanted one of the evenings or scales to weigh our baggage. I guess they are minor issues as the room was quiet and access from the hotel to the bus was easy. The staff were friendly and nice to talk to.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Wojciech M

Reviewed 20 May 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights from 15th May. This is just a (s)hell of a hotel, run by remote control from Royal Plaza opposite. When we landed in the middle of the night, check-in staff at Royal Plaza insisted on taking a 300 CHF deposit (inspite of having paid for the room in advance) and promptly blocked my credit card.You have to cross a busy intersection road (yes busy with fast cars and blazing siren police cars even at 11 pm at night) to reach Villa Toscane. You need to open the main gate yourself and there is no staff around. The rooms are OK, but the bathrooms are tiny. Noise from the road comes right in your room. Most important, even after checkout they have not unblocked the deposit that they had taken till today(5 days).Am having a harrowing time trying to contact them from Interlaken. The most pathetic experience across all hotels in Switzerland.

Room Tip: Not a hotel, more of a self-stay hostel charging hotel rates. Stay away. Much better options availab...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank AshishPotdar
Reviewed 11 April 2013

This is a lovely hotel - very spacious and quality surroundings. The breakfast in the 5* hotel across the road was excellent and very good value if booked with the room.
On the downside free wifi is only in the hotel across the road, the pillows were very flat and the third bed wasn't very good- a poor sofa bed. None of these things would stop me recommending this hotel. Also the tv was on it's last legs but hey - you don't go on holiday to watch tv. The swimming pool was good.
The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the station - I saw some misleading info regarding this and expected it to be closer.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2013

I booked 2 rooms in this hostel during the winter season (December).
First impression was not very good: you have to check in at the plaza in the other side of the road, which is... strange to say the least.
However, the rest was very good. We booked this hotel for 120chf average for each room, and it was a real bargain.
One room for 2 people + 1 baby, was located on the first floor, and was magnificent. HUGE room, well maintained, great bathroom, a real deal!
The second room, booked for 1 person, was not that great, though still decent. Much smaller (in line with switzerland standards), not that beautiful, though clean and functional.

Breakfast is served in the plaza on the other side of the road, and, as usual in this kind of hotel, is way too expensive (40 chf for a breakfast come on... that's what I would pay for a dinner in Geneva...) A good tip is to take a "cafe croissant" in the bar on the top, where you can enjoy the outstanding view, while being charged 5-10chf...

You have access to the spa and swimming pool of the plaza, which is a real plus.

The hotel has an amazing location, which makes for most of its value. Situated right next to the lake, at walking distance from the center.

All in all, the hotel would not deserve 4 stars, though the price we paid is not 4 stars neither... Despite some inconveniences, I would definitely come back to this hotel thanks to its location, and to the condition of having ~130chf price range per night.

Room Tip: first floor room was much better than ground floor...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel only for one night and I'm happy about it. The check in is at the royal plaza opposite the street. The room that I got was a joke (room 209). It was tiny and dark and with a view on a wall! I booked it for 2 people but honestly there isn't even space for one.. Staying in this hotel feels like being in a usual budget hotel. There is no staff around so you feel pretty helpless as a guest if you need something. No value for the money. Montreux has many more hotels on that price range therefore I would not recommend staying in this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013
5  Thank Besjon V
Reviewed 10 January 2013

The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from the train station. It took us a while to figure out that we had to check in at the larger Royal Plaza Hotel, across the road but the information was on the gate outside. When we got back to the room we were taken aback by the size and quality of it for what we paid. The beds were comfortable and gave us all a good nights sleep. Breakfast was served at the Royal Plaza and was very good. You are able to use all the facilities at the Royal Plaza but as this was only a short stay we declined the invitation as we wanted to make to most of our short stay. I would certainly stay here again and knowing what I do now would take full advantage of the leisure facilities.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I stayed here one night and wish could prolong my stay.
Little romantic hotel on main road, Absolutely clean and well maintained though it is little old. I just love my room as it was so comfortable. See the picture attached. Not that far from train station ( about 1 km or less). If no big luggage , anyone should be able to walk. Anyhow, there is free city bus service running around Montreux. You need to get the free card from the hotel. The bus stop is just outside the hotel corridor and runs every 10 mins day time. Can use it from/to train station. I find it really convenient. You can just sit in the bus and go around the city and return to hotel stop. The buses are running till midnight everyday.

The check in need to be done at Royal Plaza hotel which is just the opposite. I guess it is being ran by the same management. Then they give you the room key and secret access code to Villa Toscane .You can use all the facilities in the Royal Plaza Hotel (4 star) as well. Free internet service. The all 3 receptionist staffs that handled me were excellent. Gave me good information about the city and also the city buses. They also helped to store my luggage for free after check out next morning. They were so friendly yet good and I decided to tip 2 euro each upon checking out. Maybe this might not be the case for everyone..!!! Every human is different.

Some guest also gets the oppotunity of upgrading to Royal Plaza when they book Villa Toscane. You got to be lucky for that.. But believe me, you will never regret even staying in Villa Toscane. I enjoyed it.

When we go places , we just need the clean room for changing, shower and good sleep.
They provide more than that......

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple