“We had high expectations - but didn't expect it to be even better!”

Fairmont Le Montreux Palace
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Montreux
GreenLeadersGold level
bristol
“We had high expectations - but didn't expect it to be even better!”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

From the moment we arrived after a long 12 hour drive, we were welcomed like old friends returning. We left the car to be emptied of luggage and parked while we checked in. Within 5 minutes Julia led us to our suite on the 5th floor, Suite 521. Julia carefully showed us around the suite and asked if we were definitely happy with everything. If we had had any complaint I am sure she would have sorted a solution immediately.

Such a friendly welcome. Our luggage arrived within moments and was promptly put away in the various wardrobes. This suite is delightful with 2 balconies overlooking the front and over the lake with 2 windows to the side overlooking the adjacent church.

We were sat on our balcony with wine and a huge tray of English Breakfast tea in sunshine within 15minutes of arrival. Bliss

At night the air conditioning made strange noises every few minutes or so as if billiard balls were being dropped into the ducting and then rolled around. We were too exhausted to do anything about it at 3am but everything was swiftly sorted after making a complaint the following morning. Later that evening Ed came to our table after supper to ask if we were happy with the repair and if everything was now satisfactory. He was most concerned we had lost a nights sleep.

The breakfast buffet is simply amazing, better than many top hotels. I am normally underwhelmed by the usual offerings and resort to tea and toast, but here the selection is so extensive and appetising. I am definitely a convert to the traditional swiss muesi! Martine very kindly explained the special way it is made. Nothing is too much trouble and we really felt like we were on holiday as we were still able to breakfast at 10.30am rather than having a 9 o clock deadline. Even at 10.30 the display of food was fresh and beautifully arranged.

I have graded our stay as very good and not excellent because I feel that the decor and seating in the suite was more stylish than comfortable. The bed was particularly firm. The Nespresso machine was typical of its type - it only does an expresso with hot water, a longer coffee gets topped up with cool water. It would have been useful, especially for us Brits, to have a small kettle, either to make a cup of tea or top up the coffee. The fresh fruit was lovely, changed to alternatives each day, free coffee sachets, superb mini bar and snacks all added to a lovely break.

This hotel exudes old world charm yet coupled with all modern requirements. Outstanding
service and friendliness from everyone we encountered at the hotel.

Cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Corner suite with balconies, like our Suite 521, made the most of the views & autumn sunshine
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gisele S, Responsable relations publiques at Fairmont Le Montreux Palace, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words describing your recent stay with us. Your message has been passed on to all staff concerned. It is of course always a pleasure to hear from a satisfied guest and the sense of achievement and satisfaction can be felt amongst the staff when they read such comments.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 October 2013

We spent 2 nights at this hotel during our stay in Montreux. We had a deluxe Mountain View Room but still had a lovely view of the lake from the side window. The room was a good size with nice interior and very clean. The bathroom was spacious. Overall, a very nice stay and would only want to stay there if in Montreux again. It is a lovely property and appears to be well-maintained.

Can not really comment on the remainder of the hotel as we were out most of the time during our short stay. Staff were courteous and professional.

We arrived by train and the hotel was only a 5-7 minute walk (either cross the street and take steps down and then right on street or turn right and at the round about left downwards). The hotel is located just across from the lake promenade so it made exploring by foot easy.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jmdubai
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Before I start this review I have to confess I was completely gob smacked by the treatment I received in this hotel and apologise in advance if I sound like I have been paid to say nice things. I am a Presidents Club member and had a couple of certificates that I had been awarded by the company before I made the booking for this trip. when I made the booking I asked if I could use the upgrade certificate and the dining certificate and I was assured that this would be possible. I book a room for two nights for around £240 per night. When I arrived I mentioned the upgrade ahas I was about three hours early for check in I was asked if I could wait for 45 minutes while my room was prepared. This was no problem as My luggage had been taken from me when I arrived so I quite happily went for a walk in the English Gardens right outside the hotel. Time passed quickly and soon we returned to The Palace and were greeted at reception, informed our room was ready and to follow the receptionist who would show us to our room. we went up to the second floor and entered our upgraded room, which had become a suite. it was absolutely superb, with a lake view, separate lounge and as I had looked at the hotels various rooms and suites before I booked I knew that this was the best room in the hotel, apart from I suppose the Presidential Suite that I saw on my travels but not on the hotels website. My £240 a night room had turned into a £2300 a night suite. Suffice to say the next two nights for my wife and I were magnificent and the staff would welcome me by name whenever they saw me. Our treatment in the restaurant could not have been better if I was David Beckham. I really think I could get used to this . A big thank you to the management and staff at The Fairmont Palace, Montreux for an unforgettable two nights.

Room Tip: Join the Presidents Club and hope for the same luck as me.
Wellington, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2013

What's not to love about this hotel? It's period correct but uber comfortable. It's old but completely fresh and current even to the point of heated towel bars in the bathroom. Motorized black out shades outside the window. Motorized exterior "eye lid" shades if the sun is too bright for you in the room. Arrival included 3 fresh Kiwi in the room with plates and service. Turn down chocolates on the pillow. The view is perfect. Location is perfect. Staff is quick and friendly. Pool, spa and exercise area are fresh. Can't go wrong here.

Room Tip: Be sure to face the lake
1 Thank Anquka
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

Overall I was very impressed that the hotel seemed well maintained and in very good shaped.
Check in was very smooth and staff was very polite and professional.
I received a room on a high floor and was already excited about the view but unfortunately it turned out that it was facing the backside and the view was not good at all. Bathroom and room was very small but okay for two nights and out of the room most of the time.
Internet connection was very good and fast and was working throughout the hotel.
Breakfast staff was very nice and efficient, coffee was good quality and served fast.
Quality of breakfast was average, especially bread selection and quality was poor. Also the bacon was more slushy than crispy.
Restaurant was good, food was excellent and waiter turned out to be quite entertaining after a while. Really enjoyed it.

Overall it's obvious why the fairmont is no. 1 in Montreaux. Definitely worth the money

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Giovanni M
Boston MA
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Loved this hotel. This was by far our favorite hotel during our 3 week European vacation to the Czech Republic, Switzerland and the south of France. Originally we booked two deluxe lake facing rooms as we were traveling with our children. To our surprise, we were kindly upgraded to a corner suite, also facing lake Geneva. By far this was the largest hotel room of our European travel. The room was large and very modern. Enjoyed the amenities in the room (espresso coffee maker, toys for the children, fruit and water) as well as the bath products. What was also amazing was the bed, the bed was so comfortable as well as the sheets and pillows.

During our stay, we used the pool and spa and had breakfast in the hotel. The hotel has an indoor and an outdoor pool. The indoor pool, which is the larger of the two pools, only allows kids in the pool until six. However, there were plenty of families who stayed way pass that time. Also near the indoor pool, is a Jacuzzi with floor to ceiling views of the Alps. Just fabulous.

The breakfast at the hotel has everything that you would want. Their coffee macchiato was to die for.

Overall this is a fabulous hotel, while it's pricy, you will receive what you paid for. I found the staff to care about the services that they provide. This hotel is situated in a great location right on the water front with access to the promenade and restaurant. Can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

This is not the first time I stay at this hotel and would definitely be my one and only choice every time I visit montreux.
The hotel is amazing, best location overlooking the beautiful lake and the beyond beautiful mountain, just breathtaking view everytime you look over the window.
The staff are very friendly and I found that concierge service is the really out of this world. I would send an email to them requesting a restaurant booking for dinner giving them 30m notice and they were able to get me in although it was full and replied to me in less than 10m.
The room I took this time was mountain view deluxe room and it has a balcony overlooking mountain with side view of the lake.
I absolutely recommend this hotel, it's the really the best!!

Stayed October 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montreux
Grand Hotel Suisse Majestic
#1 of 46 in Lausanne
Hotel Victoria
Hotel Victoria
#4 of 17 in Montreux

Been to Fairmont Le Montreux Palace? Share your experiences!