Hotel du Grand Lac Excelsior
US$285
US$162
  • Restaurant
Golf-Hotel Rene Capt(Montreux)(Great Value!)
US$178
US$166
  • Breakfast included
US$206
US$180
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Tralala Hotel Montreux(Montreux)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$122
L'Ermitage(Clarens)
US$231
US$225
Hotels.com
Eurotel Riviera Montreux(Montreux)(Great Value!)
US$351
Hotel Splendid(Montreux)(Great Value!)
US$191
US$184
  • Restaurant
Hotel & Spa Bristol(Territet)(Great Value!)
US$155
US$143
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfamily rooms arelake genevadeep purpleold world charmthe ground floorhuge roomneeds renovationjazz festivaljunior suitebalcony overlooking lakereception deskold schoollocal attractionsindoor poolmini barcoffee machineswiss francs
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Having decided to celebrate my 50th in Switzerland I looked through a list of hotels and stopped at Montreux Excelsior Lake View Delux appartment. Otel.com advised that all Lake delux rooms were located on upper floors with direct view to the lake. It was the very thing I needed for my birthday. Best price was also advised by Otel spot com. It was rather considerable, without breakfast but we decided not to earn as it was to be a great jubilee stay. Two months before arrival I booked the room. And was sure to get what I paid for. Now imagine what a shock I felt when we arrived there and got the room - on the minus -3 floor, next to hotel back exit, with view to a large tree located opposite our window. No balcony just a small outside spot near place where hotel allowered smoking. Yes, I had voucher where Lake view Lux was advised but the receptionist told me that all rooms were occupied. Besides, she advised that there was no info from otel.com that I paid for upper lake views, just for room without any other indication. So it was mistake of otel.com and the information at their site does not correspond to real situation with Hotel appartments. At that very moment I remembered that I had a similar situation two years ago in Langkawi, Malasia. Got just different appartment and that time I booked it via otel.com too. So at last I understod that it is otel.com way to catch tourists and their money. To advise lower prices, to catch tourists and them to book the cheapest rooms in ordered hotels. Me personally will never order vial otel.com anymore.

Now the hotel itself. I am grateful to reception that they moved us to the fist free appartment on the upper floor. It happend in three days after we have arrived. After my birthday. It was just a different room, with direct view, i.e. the same which I ordered. Nice lake sights, great photos, etc,

But it all happend due the my knowledge of English and my insistance to get what I paid for. Everybody speaks French and English at the hotel. No more languages. This is strange as most of the guests while our stay were Russians and only a few of them including me spoke English.

If you ask smth they bring it to you in accepted time: plates, cups, iron, etc.

The rooms are clean, new equipped but of old construction so you hear what happens in next room very ggod. Kittles and coffee machins are in suits only.
But if you ask they will bring. Conditioner is very noisy. Be ready to sleep without it as it works like at the airport site. Breakfast buffet is good. Not excellent but ok. Dinner is well cooked, tasted but rather expenssive. Be ready that hotel prices are high. Besided be ready to pay addionally 5CHP per person per night as state fee. This sum was not included anywhere and nobody worned about it. Interior is a good mixture of antique and modern furniture. Lobby - antiique oriental/asia lions together with antique european paintings, armchairs and exhibits.
Other things are basically ok.

But: looking through different overviews I never read about the following: the hotel is located 10 meters from valid railway. It is really by the hotel. Due to their perfect rails you hear just moving but it doesn change its location just behind hotel wall. Besides, there are a lot of different plastic and other clinics in Montreux. One of them BIOTONUS is located in this hotel. It is specialised on nervous reabilitation and smth else. So 90% of people we saw while our stay were doctors or other ones in white robes. Everything is subject to clinic needs. Pool, fitness, restaurants. As we understood some people live there for months. The site opposite the railway, i.e. lake view side is town promenade. Some hotels have small restaurants on their territory where you can spent some pleasant time looking at the lake. This hotel has neither restaurant no territory. Just 5 meters green line and then the fenster. There is 8 meters line in front of clinic but there are only chairs from patients. Further more, location of the hotel is not convinient for usual tourist. It is located on promenade but 2 km from resort center. So it is 3 stops by bus (free pass is given while settling at the hotel) or 15 minutes by walk. One more time must say that it is perfect for the clinic but not for travellers.

So to resume all mentioned above, I must say that hotel is not bad but I would not recommend it to my friends and to everybody planning to spent their holidays in Montreux.

Room Tip: Never use otel.com for booking. Do not pay attention on their low price. You will have troubles. Best rooms are on the upper floors. But better to choose other hotel as everything is subject to BIOTONUS clinic located here.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Elena K
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The Excelsior is an elegant hotel located on the lake. It is a 15 minute walk to restaurants and activity along the promenade and it is a short walk to the train station and bus stops. The Castle Chillon is an easy 30 minute walk away.
The room was spacious and the bathroom was quite large by European standards. A towel warmer was one of the nice amenities provided along with slippers and the toiletries. The service was excellent at the front desk. They were extremely helpful with providing information about train schedules, taxis, and transfers.
Wireless is only available in the lobby unless you have a computer with an Internet cable. They also provide a computer with a printer in the lobby if you need to print boarding passes.
The 4th floor view from our balcony was superb. It was a great spot to watch the sunset.
The only downside was the breakfast. They only offered a buffet which was extremely pricey by US standards (60 dollars for a couple), and unfortunately they did not offer an a la carte option so we had to walk for awhile to get our coffee and croissant. (a la carte was available for room service but you had to pay 7.00 CHF).
With the exception of the limited breakfast options, the hotel was really very nice.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room on the 3rd or 4th floor in order to take advantage of the view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Good location, and great views from most rooms. However, whilst the public areas are luxurious, the rooms are only ok. Suites on the lowest floor on the lake level are impractical as very dark , but use of lights makes privacy from passing walkers impossible. The air conditioning was too noisy to use overnight. There was a constant smell of damp in the room and outside corridor. Beware of the lift servicing this floor, as it was stuck for 45 minutes with guests inside, and is out of use after certain hours, for some reason. My group were made to breakfast in a very small area, with a lovely view but too cramped. The food was not very nice or varied. Staff were generally polite and helpful, and the pool is a good size with adequate facilities. Overall an adequate experience, but not 4 star.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank stringal
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

We had 2 nights here a few days ago. When you approach the hotel you notice it looks like an industrial area with the railway line just 50 feet away. The hotel is average but in area's above. Check in is 4pm and no earlier. The walk to the pool area does smell damp. If you like an early morning swim forget it the pool opens at 10am. Breakfast is nice and rooms are pleasant. the hotel also offers medicals and treatments so expect to see the odd nurse and doctor in the lifts. Think "carry on" rather than bliss. Views are great and for Switzerland and lake Geneva it is good value.

• Stayed: September 2013