Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.comUS$201
eDreamsUS$201
Trip.comUS$353
TripadvisorUS$201
travelup.com
Agoda.com
All reviews big swimming pool enormous room the ground floor beautiful view balcony lake wellness
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

This review is written from a very specific viewpoint; we got a great deal on room only rate when booking. We didn't eat any meals here for our entire stay (breakfast was CHF 25 and dinner CHF 60 - for a 4 course meal).

The room was spacious and comfortable; again we didn't even switch the TV on so can't comment on what's on offer.

Bathroom had the rather nice feature of 2 side by side sinks; bath / shower was fine but I'm fairly sure the shower head was fixed to the wall by a very short person (I'm 6'2" / 188cm); not really a complaint but getting under the shower without sitting down or holding it was not an option.

All of this is irrelevant when you take into account the balcony and the view. Simply stunning view across the lake and of the mountains. Breathtaking.

The hotel has a loads of lake views on the ground floor too and you can sit with a coffee enjoying the mountain vista at any time.

The hotel also offered free use of the gym and pool facilities. The pool is one of the biggest pools I've ever found at a hotel.

As mentioned at the beginning, a very specific viewpoint - great rate on room only booking so it wasn't expensive for us and the views and facilities made it a wonderful start point for a long weekend in Montreux.

Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

Fantastic hotel. Warm, sumptuous and high standard decor. We avoided the Spa as massages were £120+ . With hotel breakfast £20 each, there's plenty of places to eat breakfast nearby if you prefer. The highlight of this hotel is the gorgeous setting with views from the balcony. The hotel pool and sauna was an unexpected bonus as it's a full size pool with lots of space and loungers for relaxing. I'd recommend making use of the free travel card and half price access to local attractions, including Castle de Chillion- only 1.5 miles walk by the lake and a must visit attraction.

Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

We visited with my mum and aunt and uncle and had three rooms on floor 5. It was easy to get a 5 seater taxi from Montreux railway station. Reception was friendly and efficient. Our rooms were beautiful. Huge rooms loads of space and room for clothes etc. But the special thing was the huge beautiful balcony over looking the snow tops mountains and amazing lake surrounded by flowers. The room had a lovely bathroom. A good selection of nice toiletries and a decent hair dryer. No Kettle which upset my older relatives but a quick call to reception and they both one one with 2 nice cups and spoons. A fridge with a few mini bar bits in but we walked along the front and behind the Freddie mercury statue is a shopping complex with a mac Donald's a nice Italian more clothes and shoe shops and a migros supermarket. We bought milk and croissants and put stuff in the fridge. Note migros doesn't sell alcohol so you need to go to the to floor to Denner to buy wine and beer.
It was a 15 minute glorious flat walk to get there.
The hotel has a nice pool but we didn't use it. Too busy on the balcony drinking in the views.
The beds were very comfy. I reckon they use memory foam mattresses which were great but the duvet didn't quite cover the whole bed and one of us was always clutching an end of the duvet to keep warm.
Lovely huge TV and channels in every language and good tv channels like ITV for us English.
We had breakfast on the balcony once. It was 26 chf and was a coffee pot. A croissant 2 small rolls and jam. Hugely expensive and was a treat. We shared one.
The whole hotel seeps old grandeur and yes needs some updating but I loved it and the communal areas were gorgeous.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
We loved it here. It is honestly one of the best places I've stayed and we've stayed in a lot of places esp in Switzerland.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank lifeastrin
Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

We stopped in for one night at the end of a ski holiday.

The hotel has some lovely old world charm. Four out of five stars.

My wife was ill and the onsite nurse was fantastic and went out of way to look after her, five plus stars.

The disaster was the 52CHF (US$52) breakfast for 2 via room service. 52 francs for the 2 croissants and 4 pieces of bread pictured, coffee and orange juice. This did not include any fruit, nor cheese, nor yoghurt, nor cereal.

This was for 6 pieces of bread, butter in peel back catering packets and some jam.

I took the bread basket downstairs to the reception who sent me on to the restaurant. Even they were embarrassed... with that kind of "it's not our fault" shrug....

I really wanted to rate this hotel higher.

Date of stay: February 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank David_SYD_NYC_AMS
Reviewed 28 January 2017 via mobile

My husband took me here for my 40th and we spent 2 wonderful nights in this beautiful hotel. Stunning stunning views of the lake from our room. Staff very helpful and friendly. Room clean and tidy. Bathroom was clean with a twin sink. Old style shower attached to taps which was ok but would have preferred something a bit more powerful. All in all I would totally recommend this hotel and hope to revisit again one day. Montreux is simply stunning.

Date of stay: January 2017
2  Thank Sarah G
Grand_Lac_Excelsior, Réception at Hotel du Grand Lac Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2017

Dear Sarah G,

What a rewarding review!
Thank you very much for supporting our hotel through this lovely comment!

It is a real pleasure to read that our hotel made your stay with us very enjoyable!

Rest assured that our team was more than delighted to provide you with all these services and constantly did its best to make sure you were spending an as comfortable and memorable stay as possible among us.

We really hope to welcome the two of you again in a near future and remain at your entire disposal.

Best regards,