Lowest prices for your stay
US$263
US$221
eDreamsUS$263
getaroom.comUS$277
Destinia.comUS$227
All reviews big swimming pool enormous room the ground floor beautiful view balcony lake wellness
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 April 2017

Hotel du Grand Lac Excelsior was my choice based on location, and the fact that if I am not mistaken all rooms have a lake view. Location wise this place is around a 20 min walk from the hustle and bustle of Montreux centre.
We opted for the "Deluxe" room at CHF 206 per night. Checkin was pretty seamless and the rooms are super spacious with high sealings and a modern clean white and cream finish. My only gripe with the room itself was there was no tea or coffee making facilities. I find this pretty odd as its a basic need/want with a hotel... Even the hotel we stayed the night before in Lutry had a Nespresso Machine placed near the lift and capsules for the guests, should the fancy a coffee.
The only other slightly disappointing issue was upon arrival there was a note on the the reception desk advising customers that "Due to matters outside of their control the pool was not in use" and that there was a pool at another hotel on the other side of town. Now I booked the hotel through Booking.com, so not entirely sure who is responsible for this info being diseminated to customers, but needless to say it was a deciding factor in me choosing to stay at the hotel, so would have liked to have known prior to booking if one or more of the facilities in the hotel are not available.

Staff overall in the hotel were friendly and happy to helpful.

Checkout was a little less seamless - more so than one would expect. I am factoring in that it as 6am and perhaps too early for some. The bearded chap on the desk upon me saying I would like to checkout of room 408 asked me for my card for payment. I said could I see a receipt/bill. He advised yes he would provide me with one. 2 minutes later I was called to the other side of the reception desk to input my pin number. Again I asked to see the bill for which he abruptly replied it was coming. I at this point explained that I wanted to see the breakdown of the bill before I enter my pin number. I am generally used to seeing the bill at a hotel or restaurant before making payment. Doesn't seem to be the case at Hotel du Grand Lac.

Overall though I would say this is a great place, and my experience on the desk might well be a one off. Just check that whatever facilities you want are indeed available and that if you want tea/coffee in your room, its unlikely to happen (certainly not in the deluxe rooms). Happy Holidays wither way :-)

Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

This place is ok. Rooms are old but nice, lovely views. Location right on the lake is very nice. Walking distance to centre and to Chateau Chillon. Discount card and bus passes part of the overnight rate. It was just....ok. I think I was expecting more from such a lovely hotel. The swimming pool was, again, nice but a trek around the hotel and hard to find. The mini bar in our room wasn't working and nothing happened when we told them. The bar/room service stopped at 9 which we were not told about at checkin - with 2 small children it was a pain after putting them to bed we couldn't enjoy a drink on the terrace (unless we wanted warm white wine from the fridge).
Would I book again.....only if no other hotels had availability. But it was nice.....but could be much better.

Date of stay: April 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

This was a wonderful hotel in a great location. Very friendly and helpful staff - especially reception. There was a little renovation work going on in the dining area but it didn't spoil our trip. Room was great with the most spectacular views over the lake and the snow capped mountains. I would loved to have stayed for another week. Hopefully I'll be back - I loved Montreux.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

This review is written from a very specific viewpoint; we got a great deal on room only rate when booking. We didn't eat any meals here for our entire stay (breakfast was CHF 25 and dinner CHF 60 - for a 4 course meal).

The room was spacious and comfortable; again we didn't even switch the TV on so can't comment on what's on offer.

Bathroom had the rather nice feature of 2 side by side sinks; bath / shower was fine but I'm fairly sure the shower head was fixed to the wall by a very short person (I'm 6'2" / 188cm); not really a complaint but getting under the shower without sitting down or holding it was not an option.

All of this is irrelevant when you take into account the balcony and the view. Simply stunning view across the lake and of the mountains. Breathtaking.

The hotel has a loads of lake views on the ground floor too and you can sit with a coffee enjoying the mountain vista at any time.

The hotel also offered free use of the gym and pool facilities. The pool is one of the biggest pools I've ever found at a hotel.

As mentioned at the beginning, a very specific viewpoint - great rate on room only booking so it wasn't expensive for us and the views and facilities made it a wonderful start point for a long weekend in Montreux.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

Fantastic hotel. Warm, sumptuous and high standard decor. We avoided the Spa as massages were £120+ . With hotel breakfast £20 each, there's plenty of places to eat breakfast nearby if you prefer. The highlight of this hotel is the gorgeous setting with views from the balcony. The hotel pool and sauna was an unexpected bonus as it's a full size pool with lots of space and loungers for relaxing. I'd recommend making use of the free travel card and half price access to local attractions, including Castle de Chillion- only 1.5 miles walk by the lake and a must visit attraction.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple