“Overprized and shabby”
Review of Hotel Station Zug

Hotel Station Zug
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Zug
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed for one night in this place. The room felt like a sauna as all heatings were up and hard to get a bit coller. Old and shabby place although they did their best to refurbish te room, only foregt the bathroom so is still from the 70 s. Breakfast smoky and hot place with limited choice. For this price in the rest of the western world you got superior room and quality so this is really bad news ....

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 January 2014

"economy" hotel as for Swiss, all rooms are tiny, some are ok, some are bad. If you check in after 23-00 dont expect to see anyone from the service. breakfasts are poore, be prepared that nearby church bells will wake you up a couple of times in the earlly morning, n fitness center

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We arrived late on a Friday night after reception had closed for the evening but got in touch with the hotel before arriving to let them know we'd be late and they promptly texted us the code to get in. I'd booked with booking.com and already provided payment details so the next day we only needed to sign the registration cards and return them to reception when it opened again, so we didn't think it was too big a deal that the reception had limited hours.

We are a family of three and had a family room which had a double bed and a triple bunk bed. The room was small, but clean. The decor was very dark and had some weird purple lighting, kind of like you get in public places where they want to deter drug addicts. The bunks were very close together so only a small child could sit up in them. So while the Family Room is ok if you only have one child like we did or if you had three little kids, you would not want to have three larger children in there. The double bed was not overly comfortable, we found the mattress to be a little hard.

The main light in the bathroom over the vanity was broken so it was very dark. When I told the staff at the front desk about the light not working, they did come up promptly to look at it but were unable to get it working. Full credit to the staff member on duty, he was responsive and offered to change our room for us.

My husband left his toiletry bag behind and when I called the hotel the next day they were again very responsive. They offered to post it back to us and while they initially told us we'd have to pay for postage, which was absolutely to be expected, in the end they sent it without charging us which was very generous.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Me and my colleague did not enjoy our stay at this hotel! The rooms we had were tiny, and very uncomfortable! We did not get much sleep due to the noise outside, which was probably down to the windows not keeping out enough of the noise. A shame as the hotel is in a great location!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I had to spend 2 weeks in Zug due to a work assignment.
The Double Room (normal one) is depressing, really tiny, there is no minibar and the sink is in front of the bed - outside the bathroom (also tiny).
I understand other people saying in their reviews they room was spacious is because they booked the superior double room or the junior suite…
WIFI does not work properly, however there is a cable (no long) stuck in a corner with no enough space to work from there....
There is a chemical odor in the room and specially coming from the carpet beside the bed ...
There is no lobby, the reception is outside the entrance of the building and it closes at 9:00pm.
You can hear the bells right in your ear since pretty early in the morning (like 6-7).
This is not a 3 starts Hotel, not in dreams, it is an expensive (185CHF per night) Motel/Hostal, which is ridiculous to pay for even in Zug (you expect better quality for that price).
I cancelled my reservation after 3 nights and they told me they will charge the all 2 weeks according to the reservation, which sincerely was not fair at all (I would accept the usual 1 or 2 nights as a penalty) my company complained and made some pressure and they did not charged it at the end.
I moved to the Ibis at Baar (3,5 Km from Zug) and it was the normal double room I was expecting since the beginning , cheaper and just in front of the Baar train station (5min from Zug, 5min frequency). I really do not recommend "Hotel" Station, I would prefer camping in the lake than staying there one more night.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2013

This is not really an hotel l, maybe more of an hostel. Rooms are clean and spacious, and that is all I can say positively but:
Price are ridiculous for the value you get
Service is not existent
Wifi is rubbish
Mattresses are horrible, like sleeping on a Victoria sponge
No air conditioning
Not enough towels
Impossible to get an iron after 9.00pm
No room service
Just don't stay there.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Londonstyleman
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I booked into this hotel and checked in at 9:15pm after work to be told I was lucky reception was still open! Who knows what would have happened if I'd been 5 minutes later.

The room was clean, attractive, but terribly hot. The only cooling was a fan. The windows wouldn't open really to allow in cold air, and it wasn't warm outside. I therefore had two poor nights sleep. My colleague had his night further interrupted by the next room having their tv on at 4:30 am and wouldn't turn it down.

There is no restaurant, the ground floor has a kebab house! Breakfast is reasonable though.

Oh, and it's not even at the station. It's over 5 mins walk. There are nearer hotels!

The price doesn't even reflect the lack of quality. I've stayed in plenty of Swiss hotels, and this is poor and poor value for money.

I'd therefore recommend you find somewhere else in Zug.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Tony P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zug
Hotel Zugertor
Parkhotel Zug
Parkhotel Zug
#2 of 8 in Zug
Hotel Lowen am See Zug

Been to Hotel Station Zug? Share your experiences!