“Very helpful staff - nice stay”

Hotel Ibis Budget Winterthur
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Winterthur
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was a quick one-night stay after visiting Reinfall in Shaffhausen and having a flight departing Zurich the following morning. This is a pleasant and typical budget hotel. It has a good restaurant, good draft Feldschlossen (swiss beer), clean rooms where all the facilities work and free parking. It is a short drive to the Zurich airport, and is located north of there so one does not need to contend with the Zurich city traffic. The hotel is easy to find by car, and has ample parking. I remember needing a pass key for the garage, but I don't remember if it was included with the hotel rate. If not, is was negligible.

When we got to the rental car rental return the next morning at the airport, I was missing my laptop. I realized I had left it in the parking garage at the hotel when loading the luggage. Avis called the hotel for me, the hotel staff went out to the garage, and found it, and called Avis to let them know to tell us they had it. Avis let us take the car back to the hotel to retrieve it, and they had it at the front desk for me. We returned to the airport and still made our flight (but it was close). We can't express how much we appreciated this.

This hotel is probably typical of European Ibis properties. It was an excellent value and we had a pleasant stay. I was returning from a business trip, but we were here due to a sightseeing trip on the way back to the airport.

Nothing to do with the hotel, but If driving in Winterhur, do watch out for the numerous photo enforcements in the area. These are all over the area, but there seems to be an extra abundance in the Winterhur-Zurich area. We saw a number of cars flashed that did not seem to be exceeding the limit by very much.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert G

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in this hotel with 3 adults

Room :
Small room and best for short stay.

Check-in Reception
The Hotel reception personnel are excellent and serve us well. The information provided to us are very helpful. There is no kettle in the room, you got to go down to reception counter to ask for hot drink which is fine for us.

Location
In term of location, quite a distance to city center. You need a car to move around the city. Parking is chargable. Coops supermarket is within walking distance which is very helpful to us.

Restaurant
We didnt try the breakfast but there is Mac just next to this hotel.

Conclusion
Good for short stay and value for money. Would love to visit this hotel again in near Future.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Reviewed 30 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank andu_muscel
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The room was very clean and the hotel is located near winterthur railways station (4min by bus). But the rooms were very small. I arrived at 10pm and by 7pm they charged for one night through the reserved credit card. once I paid the cash, they claim to cancel the credit card payment. The owner assured me that if the amount from my credit card is transferred to their account then he will refund me.
I will get my bill after 45days, I hope all is well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Switzerland is a VERY expensive country. If you want a resort hotel, you will pay "big bucks." If you want a place to sleep that is extremely clean with TV in several languages, good wifi (yes, the system is a bit strange but it works very well) good air conditioning (Switzerland can get hot in the summer) and a clean shower and toilet, this is an excellent choice. It is what is says: "Budget."
The restaurant is excellent and very reasonable for Winterthur; one must remember again that Switzerland is a VERY expensive country. I would stay there again realizing that it is a great place to sleep at a reasonable cost. For older folks with mobility the problems, the "short" walk from the train station might prove to be a challenge but the bus system is excellent and there is a stop close to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side, as stated in another review, are quieter. However, the only noise at night...