“Nice hotel for business.”

Park Hotel Winterthur
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Winterthur
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We stayed here for 4 days for business. The rooms were fairly basic, no frills. It was still very comfortable. The pillow situation was odd. The pillows were very flat and odd. However, the staff was accommodating and brought new pillows. The breakfast was great, and wifi was included. There was also parking, which is nice. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
phwin, Manager at Park Hotel Winterthur, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2012

Dear guest. Thank you very much for your feedback and the recommendation of our Park Hotel Winterthur. We are very surprised to read within a short term, that the offer of our different pillows does obviously not correspond completely to our guests' demands. We propose -next to our standard feather pillows- a variety of other pillows upon request. We will have a look at this matter and try to find a more satisfying solution. We are happy to hear that (besides to the pillows) you have enjoyed the stay in our house and would be happy to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Park Hotel Winterthur

Reviewed 8 November 2012

Stayed at this hotel for two nights, mid October. It's a good business hotel in the heart of Winterthur. Somewhat expensive, but I guess that's Switzerland! Room included full buffet breakfast, free wifi, off street parking (not undercover) & room mini bar soft drinks/water - not alcohol. Difference between a standard room & a superior room, in terms of space, is massive & only for an additional 10 CH per night, neither rooms have balcony. Room was very clean, comfortable & modern. The staff are amazing & very attentive. We accidentally left behind some camera equipment & once advised to the hotel of this, they promptly packed & posted the items to the address that we provided - very very helpful. Winterthur is a pretty city with many galleries & museums, plus only a 20 minute train ride from Zurich. Would definently recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear guest. Thank you very much for your positive comment and recommendation of our Park Hotel Winterthur. We are really happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our house and that you have received your lost camera equipment. Have a good time and we hope to welcoming you back soon. Best regards

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I have stayed here many times in the past when it was the Garten Hotel and once as the Park Hotel. Altogether, over the past 10 years, I've stayed here over four months, total....and it was superb - until this time.

This year, I stayed late Sept/early Oct, 2012. First, I was surprised that my expensive single room in a 4 star hotel did not even have a full bathroom. It only had a shower that couldn't keep the water off the floor. They changed my room, but first tried to charge me an extra 40CHF a night, then they moved me for no extra charge to a single room with a full bath. This wasn't so bad, but on a Monday morning, about 3a.m., a rowdy bunch of customers were in the hallway on my floor, making a lot of noise, and I mean a lot of noise. It woke me and several people on the floor. I called the front desk, but they did nothing other than say, "I'm sorry." The other customers and I went out and quieted them down. I was unable to get back to sleep and so the next day was partially lost. The next morning I had to tell the front desk that if it happened again I would not hesitate to call the police since they (the Hotel) chose not to even try and quiet them.
Again, I got a "sorry" and that was all.

Simply...this is not the hotel it was when it was the Garten. I will not be staying there again. I know of another wonderful hotel in winterthur (Krone, where I have stayed before). I wish I would have stayed there again.

btw...the pillows are terrible. They have no substance and it takes several of the to equal a single good pillow. Sleeping was problematic, even after I got extra pillow and even after quieting down the rowdies. Another patron and I discussed this at breakfast; he was complaining about his neck and the lack of a good pillow. I concurred.

Room Tip: Be sure and ask if your room will have a full bath, if you want one.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank R W

Dear guest. Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a detailed feedback about your stay. We really appreciate that you stay with us for more than ten years now. I am really sorry to hear that your overnight had been disturbed by other guests being noisy. Our night staff intervened indeed and had asked the guests to be considerate and to calm down. I duly regret that the situation had not been solved to your satisfaction and that you had to go out of your room as well and calm down the others guests. All our rooms are equipped with full bathroom and either with bathtub or shower. No type of bathroom had been changed within the last 15 years. If a guest prefers to have a bathroom with bathtub, it can be requested with the reservation.
The sleeping confort is very important in every hotel, but guests from all over the world have different pillow demands. To be able to meet the most of our guest's demands, we offer additional to the standard feather pillows in the room a large variety of different other pillows, e.g. cherry stone pillow, foam pillow, synthetic filling. The choice is listed in the hotel info brochure in your room and upon request. I regret that this option had not been mentioned to you by the staff.
Please be assured that we are always doing our outmost to satisfy our clients‘ demands. I thank you again for your feedback and hope to welcoming you another day in our house. Kind regards.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

This was a very nice hotel in a lovely city. It is close to the Market place and museums. the decor is quite spartan, but comfortable. They brought us extra pillows and towels and had a very friendly staff. The restaurant was really good. Good basic breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
phwin, Manager at Park Hotel Winterthur, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Dear guest. Thank you very much for your positive feedback. Have a good time and see you another time back in Switzerland and hopefully in the Park Hotel Winterthur. Kind regards

Reviewed 19 October 2012

I spent a week here on business and the room was spotless, spacious and very comfortable. All the staff were very helpful and were quick to respond to any requests. The breakfast was a usual selection but very good all the same.
Really good location within the city, only a short walk from the main bars restaurants and train station.

Room Tip: You will probably need to ask for more pillows. The only negative aspect of my stay, I needed three...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Dear guest. Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a comment. We are happy to hear that you had a good stay with us. We hope to welcoming you back soon. Best regards.

Reviewed 22 September 2012

I wish more Swiss hotels were like the Park Hotel Winterthur. The rooms are modern, comfortable and well-appointed, and the staff have a can-do attitude that makes staying here a pleasure. The building itself is fairly modern and located in the Museum Mile, one block from the historical city center (pedestrian and bicycle zone) and about 5 blocks from the railroad station. The staff not only respond efficiently and graciously to guest queries and requests (in my case, a room change which was handled in a way that exceeded my expectations), but seem to anticipate the guests' needs. I really appreciated the free, high-bandwidth WiFi throughout the hotel and the minibar with free soft drinks. When I checked out, the receptionist offered me my choice of mineral water for the road---a nice touch which I really appreciated.

Winterthur, a city of about 100,000 inhabitants and the second city of the Canton of Zurich, has gone through a very interesting post-industrial metamorphosis (it used to be home to a lot of heavy industry--turbines, textile machines, locomotives) to a cultural, educational and gastronomic destination. It has a lively historic center with lots of sidewalk cafes and intimate restaurants, as well as excellent museums. Although it lacks the attraction of a lake or major river, it offers more than enough to make it interesting for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: The Economy Single rooms (which were converted from meeting rooms when the hotel was renovated a few...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
phwin, Manager at Park Hotel Winterthur, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Dear guest. Thank you very much for your positive and detailed feedback. We are very proud to hear that we could exceed your expectations. We wish you a very good time and hope to welcoming you back soon. Best regards.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

This is a great hotel in the centre of Winterthur with a short walk to the trian station and a bus right outside the door, museums, theatre and old town literally on your door step. It also has a great restaurant with good breakfast overlooking beautiful gardens.

Where it falls short is the evening staff. I have stayed here on many occasions and it seems that the evening shift endsnup being the "grumpy shift" shame.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have better controle over heating/ cooling
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
phwin, Manager at Park Hotel Winterthur, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear guest. Thank you very much for your feedback. As your comment is concerning your stay in our house about one year ago, I am not able to find out, which person you could mean having been "grumpy". I would kindly ask you to give me more details about the situation or person to my direct e-mail address: martina.miciecki@phwin.ch. Thank you very much and best regards.