“Wifi still weak”

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Winterthur
Paris, France
“Wifi still weak”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Good standard but poor connection. Despite reiterated complaints it seems the hotel does not wish to invest any penny to boost access from the room. At this night price it is not acceptable. Breakfast is ok and classic. Relatively expensive for WInterthur.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
MartinaMiciecki, Manager at Park Hotel Winterthur, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear guest
Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review. We are sorry to read that you had problems with our Wifi. As the first hotel in Winterthur, we started our free Wifi in 2010 in our Park Hotel Winterthur. Since July 2013 we are remodelling all our rooms completely. Within these construction works, we are updating our Wifi network as well to be still able to offer a good connection everywhere in the hotel. Therefore, it is not at all a question of investment, but perhaps local technical updating, we are already working on with our Wifi support team.
We would be happy to show you another time that we could improve our internet service and to convince you all in all of our good value for money.
Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Colombier, Switzerland
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Renovation work is being carried out that is due to last until spring 2014. There was however no disturbance at all. Scrupulously clean fully-equipped spacious rooms with free soft drinks in the mini-bar. I had 3 meals there: Lunch of the day at CHF19.50 wth either salad or soup and a choice of 2 main dishes - very good value for money. Dinner à la carte - excellent cuisine - Angus steak with the "must have" Rösti. Breakfast - wide choice with hot and cold buffet. The décor of the refurbished bar is really superb. To top it all, the very friendly and efficient staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert S
MartinaMiciecki, Manager at Park Hotel Winterthur, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear guest. Thank you very much for having taken the time to write that great review about your experiences in our hotel and restaurant. We are happy, that you like our refurbished bar and cannot wait until we can present you our new hotel rooms soon. Have a great time meanwhile. Kind regards
DUBLIN
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Just back from a weekend in Winterthur/Switzerland where we stayed in the Park Swiss Hotel. The location of the hotel is about 2 minutes walk to central Winterthur. I understand there are renovations going on in the hotel at present, but we were in room 19 on the ground floor and did not see or hear any works. Our room was lovey. It was quite large with high celings and nice decor. There was a minibar with free water and juices - a nice touch. Slippers were also provided. The beds were extremely comfortable. We ordered a couple of extra pillows and these were brought to our room straight away. The bathroom was very spacious with a large walk in shower. Everywhere was spotlessly clean. There was a good breakfast selection of juices / cereals / yogurts / cold meats / cheeses and a hot selection of streaky bacon / sausages and scrambled eggs. Something for everyone really.
I must mention the reception staff who were extremely friendly and courteous. I will definitely return to this hotel for another visit in the New Year.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SANDRA29DUBLIN
MartinaMiciecki, Manager at Park Hotel Winterthur, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear guest. Thank you very much for having taken the time to write a review about your stay in our house. It is a pleasure for me to read it. I will forward your kind words straight away to my teams. They will like it very much! We would be happy to welcoming you back next year. Kind regards
Flagler Beach
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Walking distance from the main train station and the pedestrian shopping district. I came here mainly for the great selection of museums in the city, and discovered that with a museum pass, you can catch a free shuttle from the train station (about a 10 minute walk) to several of the city's museums.
The hotel is clean, the staff pleasant and accommodating, and the rooms comfortable. A pleasant surprise was the bathtub in my room...extra long, deep,and wide...perfect for a relaxing soak.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank gpcrna1
MartinaMiciecki, Manager at Park Hotel Winterthur, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear guest.
Thank you very much for your nice review about the Park Hotel Winterthur. It is a pleasure for us to hear, that you liked your stay in Winterthur and in our house.
Hope to see you soon again.
Kind regards.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Moving to Winterthur from the States to work, I had occasion, before finally findgin an apartment, to stay, for extended periods--on more than one occasion accompanied by my wife, in the three most popular--highest rated (by travelers) and highest ranked (3-4 stars)--properties in town. While all three delivered comfort, cleanliness, safety and quality, the Park was several cuts above the rest in the following areas:

1. Better breakfast variety. Swiss hotel breakfasts are pretty standard in Winterthur, with very little variety amongst the three. Having eaten several (dozen) breakfasts over the course of my hotel stays, I can tell you that the main reason I moved out of the others and finally landed longer-term at the Park was on the basis of the breakfast. I have read some other reviews about the Park's breakfast (the name of the restaurant is the Bloom) that made it sound like it wasn't much. Trust me. It's way better than that of its competitors.

2. Better dinner. Despite beginnig this review with breakfast and now dinner, I am no food snob. The Bloom is one of the finer restaurants in town. And despite a limited room service menu, I came to know that you can ask for any Bloom menu item to be delivered to your room. By comparison, the "leading" hotel, according to TripAdvisor, doesn't really have an in-house restaurant, let alone room service. The third hotel restaurant was also quite good, but the service horrendously slow. There was never more than one other person eating at the same time, compared to always full Bloom.

3. The rooms were plenty spacious, carpeted (this is not the norm in Switzerland where most are wooden parquet, further accentuating the sometimes coolnees of Swiss architecture. Not so at the Park.) Modern bathroom fixtures, comfortable beds, duvets, pillows a bit deflated (down can go that way over time) but the staff were always willing to bring up more.

4. Best for last. I cannot say enough about the staff. Here I will say that the staff at the other two hotels was fabulous, always willing to accomodate, friendly and cheerful. But at the Park, it was time and again, above and beyond. Case in point. The hotel is quite popular and because I would sometimes check out to travel over the weekend or return to the states, I might sometimes delay booking the next round of stays until I might not get a consecutive string of nights. So, on occasion, I found myself looking at a single night in the middle of the week where I might be looking at a room change, or I might be put on a wait list. In every case, I received daily status updates from the front desk as I would pass by, or in my email, on the progress of the solution being worked on. I didn't ask for this, it was automatic. One day, I even received a phone call at work telling me that a particularly complex room change had been avoided at the last minute due to some creating shuffling. I wasn't even aware of my giving the staff my mobile number.

For these reasons, and many more small touches, I would recommend the Park to anyone looking to spend even an overnight in Winterthur. Yes, the price will usually be about 10% higher than the others. And the construction is scheduled to continue into 2014. But if you plan to be out during the day, the construction should not be an issue.

Room Tip: To find a quieter room, ask for a higher floor to mask the sounds from the street. If choosing the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear guest

Thank you very much for your wonderful and detailed feedback.
Your compliments are a very big motivation for the entire team.
It's great that you like so much staying with us. We are looking forward to your next visit with us.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We arrived on a very hot day and I was slightly surprised to be asked to pay for the room upfront.Even more surprised when we were shown a room rather neatly arranged around the lift well. I protested and eventually were shown a much better and bigger room on a higher floor. The room and bed were excellent but on (perhaps) the hottest day of the year in Winterthur the airconditioning wasn't up to the task. Yes the hotel was on a park but not entirely devoid of traffic noise . The breakfast was pretty ordinary ..Verdict overpriced there must be better hotels in Winterthur..

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Drac69
MartinaMiciecki, Manager at Park Hotel Winterthur, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear guest

Thank you very much for the review of your stay. We do regret, that we did not meet your expectations during your stay.
We would like to take the chance to verify your mentioned points in your feedback.
Upon check-in, we normally take an autorisation on the guest’s credit card. The charge on the credit card will be done upon check out. Only if the guest is not able to provide a credit card, prepayment in cash will be required.

As a city hotel in the center of Winterthur, traffic noise can not be avoided entirely. Thanks to the beautiful park our hotel is situated much more quiet compared to other city hotels in Winterthur. As we are not able to provide air conditioning because of monument protection, our rooms feature a fresh air system. As part of our current construction work we are going to improve this fresh air system in our totally new renovated rooms by December 2013.

Our buffet breakfast is very popular by our hotel guests and also outside guests visit us to enjoy serving themselves on the rich buffet. The range consists of high-quality and fresh regional food. We regret that we have not met your taste.

Kind regards
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Located in a nice park just in the middle of Winterthur. Extremely quiet place with a cool bar attached. If you are staying there you can enjoy the whole Winterthur Old City - ll you have to do is just cross the street ;)

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
MartinaMiciecki, Manager at Park Hotel Winterthur, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear guest. Thank you very much for your nice feedback. We really appreciate that. Have a good time and hope to welcome you back soon. Kind regards