“Lovely people, bland food”
Review of Camino

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Langstrasse
Reviewed 24 June 2013

After hearing so many raving comments about Camino, my girlfriend and I finally decided to give it a try ourselves. The restaurant is quite well hidden close to the Kasernenareal and possibly easiest to be reached by bus no. 31. Nothing fancy from the outside, but really cozy from the inside. It features an interior that reminds oneself of an old hunting lodge, yet in a modern way.

We booked a table in advance and were well advised to do so. The restaurant turned out to be fully booked and any passer-bys would not have found a vacant table. The waiters/owners were really helpful, very attentive and friendly as can be.

Yet, the food turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. We had starters, main courses and desserts - all of which where prepared with care. Portions were reasonably large and nobody would leave the restaurant hungry. Even the ingredients were presumably fresh and well chosen. But every dish lacked some degree of taste. At first I thought it is just me, but my girlfriend had the same impression and people at the table next to us were also puzzled. Our guess was that either the cook had a bad day or that the actual chef was on holiday.

All in all and especially given the high prices, we felt disappointed by the hype. We loved the restaurant for its people and the atmosphere, but that is simply not what we came here for. We will most probably give it another try, yet our first impression will not make us go crazy about Camino - sadly so!

2  Thank Knechtd

Reviewed 28 March 2013

I spent a wonderful evening at Camino's with a friend. A big exception in Zürich: enough space beside the table (to put your shopping bags there ;-), enough space between the tables (you don't have to sit at your neighbour's lab), and enough space at the table!
We were greeted warmly and attentively served. The food was fantastic and we much appreciated that we could easily split a salad. The wines by the glass is excellent and highly recommended if a bottle is too much. We enjoyed our stay so much that we almost missed our train ...

2  Thank Taugenichte
Reviewed 9 February 2013

I'm so lucky I was being entertained by a well traveled resident of Zurich. He promised all wee that before I left he would take me to his favorite restaurant in town. His promise lived up to all expectations. Il Camino was small cozy with great personal service, but the food was the star attraction.

I'll be coming back here!

Reviewed 28 August 2012

Went for my first time , was able to sit outside however also inside is lovely. Had a great meal , good wine and generally a really good experience. You come out pleased and definitely a location I have and would in the future recommend because I know I they won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

Having lived next door for since before il Camino opened and we always thought that it didn't look so inspiring and we only visited when we had friends visiting from England and the weather was not nice. We are so glad the weather was bad that day as the excellent food and friendly service more than made up for the uninspired decor.
We liked it so much it is now one of our top 5 and we have had the pleasure of introducing other friends to this great restaurant and even had the pleasure of spending an evening sitting in their pleasant little garden.

1  Thank Apostle72