“A little bit dissapointing”
Review of Brasserie Schiller

Brasserie Schiller
Ranked #1,168 of 1,914 Restaurants in Zurich
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: French, Swiss, Bar, European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Bar Scene, Business meetings, View
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighbourhood: Hochschulen
Description: In the heart of Zurich within the historic building of Neue Zurcher Zeitung you find Brasserie Schiller & Goethe Bar. The Brasserie provides a lively modern french cuisine. The Goethe Bar provides trendy drinks and snacks througout the day. The summer terrasse is the place to see and to be seen.
“A little bit dissapointing”
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

The restaurant is situated just in the heart of the city overlooking the 'sächsilüteplatz' and the entry of the opera. The interior is classic and very much to my liking. Unfortunately the food is really expensive. That would be totally fine if the quality's righ- but my fish was totally oversalted and really small. I'd have to order 4 courses in order to be full. The amuse bouche of the chef in turn was really nice and tasty. Well, if you order multiple courses or are generally not such a hungry person and in addition pick a better day than I did- you'll be satisfied there.

2 Thank Noemi I

Dublin, Ireland
“Casual Lunch in the heart of Zurich, very nice indeed”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

During our stay in Zurich we went also a bit of exploring along the lake.

When we were hungry we were looking for a restaurant or bar and found the Brasserie Schiller/Goethe Bar. It's opposite the Opera House and was extremely busy at least outside with every seat being taken. The customers were a mix of locals and tourists, old and very young. Brasserie Schiller made a good impression, so we decided to go inside.

The bar is to the left, the restaurant to the right.

The Goethe bar was understated and elegant, held in dark colors.

We found the bar empty and took a table at the window. There were two members of staff and soon we received the menu. My better half had made up his mind quickly and choose the Wiener Schnitzel (the real deal made with veal), while I wasn't that hungry and couldn't decide for a while what I wanted. I was torn between being a bit daring or eating something safe.

I decided to go for daring and had the Riesling Soup. We both ordered Rhubarb Schorle.

Our Schorle was getting attention from a family, who entered a bit later. The drinks were interesting, not too sour, not too bitter.

The soup was served with baguette and whole-wheat bread. It was creamy, light and the wine flavor was still there. I liked the balance of the dish.

The Wiener Schnitzel was large, relatively thick, but melt in the mouth as it should be. It came with cranberries and potatoes.

Our bill was 70 CHF (ca. 57.20 Euro or ca. 79.25 USD) excluding tip.

The staff was prompt and friendly.

We had a good time and would return when in Zurich.

Would we recommend this Brasserie and Bar to a friend? YES!
Would we eat here again in the future? YES!

• Visited April 2014
Tokyo, Japan
“Cozy and Swiss”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

It was the festival of sechseläusen today and the opera square in Zurich was crowded with eager visitors waiting for the Böögg to burst into flames....it did and in the rain too.
To celebrate you must eat and drink thereafter too. We casually walked in to get the last table available and had a full. Three course dinner at CHF69/- pet person.
Check out the lobster salad as a starter..... So good!!!!

• Visited April 2014
Hong Kong, China
“lunch experience”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The location of the place is great and you have the option to either hang out in the Goethe Bar on the left side, or enjoy a meal in the Brasserie on the right. When the weather is nice you also have the option to sit outside and watch the crowd. I went there for an early lunch and be prepared, you can't enter the brasserie before 11.30am, the doors are locked. We were lucky to get a table without reservation midweek as the place was packed within minutes. Service was good and efficient as to expect, and you can choose between several lunch options or a la carte. Food and plates was prepared nicely. A 'downer' in my view is that most of the tables for two are so close to each other you can hardly move without disturbing your neighbors.

• Visited March 2014
Switzerland
“Brunch? A chaotic disappointment”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

A friend of mine recommended the Brasserie Schiller for brunch, so I went there with another good friend.
It started of well enough with a cordial reception and a nice table. Unfortunately, it went downhill from there.
The coffee and tea we had ordered got lost in translation. We had to ask for it twice, and it took 15 minutes to arrive, only to be delivered a second time 10 minutes later on.
Service was excessively slow and chaotic. The team communication did not work, and neither did the coordination with the kitchen.
I had, amongst other things, ordered a salad with caramelized nuts. Well, what I got was a little bunch of salad leaves with chunks of nuts sticking together in clumps.
The birchermuesli took again ages to arrive. When I tried the first spoon full, I realized that it was room temperature and thus must have been standing around for quite a bit. The skin of the mandarine slice stuck on top as decoration had started to dry, and the apples had turned brown. The whipped cream had collapsed.
I complained to the waiter who looked at me as if I refusing to eat a lukewarm dairy dish was a major scandal.
It goes without saying that the bill took ages to arrive, and - surprise surprise - that it was not correct.
The table beside us experienced similar difficulties and had to wait for their cappuccino forever and a day.
Well, to those of you now wondering what is deserving of a point, I would mention the quality of the coffee and the fresh and crisp bred.

• Visited February 2014