“Good food, beautiful decor and fun...but comes at a price”
Review of ECHO Restaurant

ECHO Restaurant
Ranked #149 of 2,012 Restaurants in Zurich
Price range: US$12 - US$45
Cuisines: Swiss
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The eCHo restaurant of the Zurich Marriott Hotel delights its guests with its creative presentation of modern Swiss cuisine. Only fresh, regional products are used to create the Swiss specialities. Guests can even have a seat and enjoy their dinner in an original ski gondola that provides space for 2 people. In addition to all of this, the eCHo is the proud owner of a cow living on the Hinterhuismatt-Alp, and the cheese is sourced directly from the local region. It is possible to enjoy the delicacies in an atmosphere which blends the traditional with the contemporary in complete harmony - a real Swiss experience.
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

We ate here on a hot afternoon in August. First impressions were good as we were welcomed in a friendly manner and given a choice of tables (we were the only diners).

The decor is great with a heavy Swiss influence (napkins resemble the flag against red tablecloth and lots of cow bells, etc.) And the food was of s high quality.

I had the raclette starter which was quite bland but my wife went for the Tomato Tomato Tomato starter which was an excellent choice and featured a tomato sorbet, hot white tmato soup shot and another style of tomato.

For main I had the veal and mushroom dish with kidneys, which was excellent and came with a rosti. My wife went for the ravioli which was also a good if lighter choice. I dowish I'd chosen the lamb which uses honey from the hotels rooftop hives.

Sadly, when the bill came I noticed that we'd been over charged by around 50 CHF. We were assured this was a genuine mistake (bottle of wine instead of a glass) and whilst I do feel this was an accident, it still left a bitter taste in my mouth. The total bill for a drink each, water, two starters and two mains was over 100 CHF (about £100).

Was lovely and there are some fun elements but the bill error is enough to ensure I won't be returning

1  Thank StuBud

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I am constantly staying at the Zurich Marriott and have often been to both the eCHo Swiss restaurant and the White Elephant Thai restaurant. Both are excellent with both food and service.

The best deal in town is the 3 for 69 Swiss Francs (CHF), three course Swiss wine tasting menu. You can have starter, main course and dessert or two starters and a main course Plus all the Swiss wine you want. There are usually 5 types of white wine and 5 or more types of red wine. This is where the savings are. If you like wine, you can spend a lot of Swiss Francs elsewhere for small pours and high prices.

For a starter I recommend the Chrüt i Chäs (Herb salad with freshly sliced hard cheese). The cheese comes from the restaurant's own mascot cow named Gretli, who's large photo graces one wall. The two types butter which is served with a fresh hot small loaf of bread is also from Gretli. This is a nice touch!

As a main course I recommend the Züricher Geschnetzeltes, (Minced Veal with a Mushroom Cream Sauce). This dish is Zurich's most famous dish and can be served with or without kidneys. I don't do parts so I'm happy without the kidneys. This is served with Rösti,(Hashbrowns made with butter). This meal is served at the table and is enough for two full plates.

For dessert I recommend the Schweitzer Trio, (A Trio of Swiss desserts). The deep fried Lindt truffels are awesome, the creme caramel is good and the Rivella sorbet tastes much better than the famous Swiss soda pop from which it is made.

The restaurant is modern and airy and is usually not very full. However, check if there is a conference happening at the hotel or trade fair in Zurich to see if a reservation is needed. I've shown up for dinner a few times and then had to order room service because the restaurant was fully booked.

En Güte! ( Guten Appetit! )

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We spent over $150 for an exceedingly average meal consisting of a single appetizer, two entrees and two glasses of wine. No dessert.

The steak (thin and tiny) and veal (dry) were non-descript and indistinguishable from the standard swiss fare we received at the modest inns we visited during the previous two weeks hiking in the alps. Based on the effusive reviews, we were expecting a special meal. Instead, we fell victim to the bland hotel food that we should be smart enough to avoid. Shame on us.

eCHo-Team, Manager at ECHO Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear Jerry C

Thank you for your comment on TripAdvisor. We are sad to learn that we didn't meet your expectations. But we are very thankful for your open feedback as it gives us a chance to improve our product. We take your feedback very seriously and are already taking measures that such an incident will not happen again.

Best regards

Tobias Grunder
Assistant Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Food is just perfect, love the atmosphere. I recommend the hot stone. After dinner I order coffee I got a beautiful presentation with the creamer.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Loved the decor and feeling of this restaurant. The service was outstanding also. We enjoyed our meals which were a good size and the deal was 69 francs per person for 3 courses and unlimited wine so not too bad! We really enjoyed our visit.

1  Thank 16Waimea