“My worst hotel experience ever”
Review of Hotel Villette

Hotel Villette
Ranked #134 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed 13 September 2010

We were not kindly received - not welcoming at all. We were forced to pay by card immediately on arrival - otherwise they would have cancelled our confirmed booking for three nights. We suggested payment by cash the day after arrival but were denied. We had breakfast at the hotel the first morning. Not even the bread was acceptable. The following mornings we preferred to have breakfast at nearby Starbucks Café. The room and the cleanliness was OK for the price. We should not complain too much about the noise in the street at night - it's probably out of the staff''s control. The strong smell of indian curry kitchen might be acceptable in the restaurant if you are prepared of it. In the rest of the house it's unpleasant.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bofink
There are newer reviews for Hotel Villette

Reviewed 14 August 2010

This hotel gave us the worst experience ever. We booked this hotel via booking.com. When checked in, the receptionist demanded additional 25 Euro to pay for an upgrade room because the room we booked was sold out. We had a long arguement and after spending AUS$300 on the phone call to booking.com, nothing was resolved. When I returned to the hotel, I was being told that our booking was cancelled so we could just leave while they're serving another angry customer who apparently received the room they initially offered us. That night I found an email from booking.com saying my credit card would be charged for one night fee due to that cancellation. After 12 Euro on the phone to booking.com, I managed to get a confirmation that this hotel would not charge us anything. The inconvenience which caused was unbearable, the money, time and energy...we were standing in the pouring rain for 3-4 hours and had to look for another hotel at 9pm. The location might be good for this hotel but I promise you it's not worth it!! I was at the reception for 10 minutes and covered by the smell of strong curry cooking downstairs so even though we ended up paying 80 Euro more expensive in nearby hotel, we're glad not to stay in Hotel Villette. I am sharing this experience as dealing with them really ruined the first day of our holiday in Swiss and I do not wish anyone will go through what we did.

• Stayed: June 2010
3  Thank N4NC1
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel while in town for a friends wedding. At first I was extremely impressed with the location, but soon shortly after that seemed of less and less importance due to the fact of the overall smell of this hotel. There is an indian restaurant right underneath this hotel, and all the rooms and the hotel seem to have a smell of stale greasy food to them. The room itself was also not the cleanest, and the shower had hardly any pressure nor hot water. I have stayed at strange, small hotels throughout europe, but this one I would never return to. My bf and I had to buy air fresheners and constantly use them because the smell when you woke up was making us sick. Our clothes slowly started to smell, which for me was embarrassing and disgusting. They also claimed to have a "Continental" breakfast, which is a SCAM. All you get is a gross basket of bread and some jams and really bad coffee. Overall I would NEVER stay here again. Unless you are in dire need of a one nights sleep in the center of the city, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank zo0sha
Reviewed 15 December 2009

I arrived in Zurich via air for a 4-day trip in early Dec without any hotel booking. Tried to do some internet booking at the airport but it failed. In the end I used the Tourist Information Centre at the Zurich Main Station (free service). Upon checking, only 2 hotels were available for 3 consecutive nights. One was a 4* hotel and the other one Hotel Villette, a 1* hotel as informed by the personnel at the tourist information centre. The difference is about CHF40 per night. I didn't choose the former because it's a bit out of town, a few stations by tram, have to pay extra for breakfast, and internet access is not free. Hotel Villette on the other hand is located in the Old Town, have breakfast and free WIFI internet access. So with some reservation, I made the reservation for 3 nights.

So bearing in mind that this is a 1* hotel, the following are my comments.

The Good:
- Location, which is in the Old Town and thus within walking distance to almost all places of interests in Zurich. And despite it being located in the Old Town, it's located in a quiet alley which ensures a good night sleep.
- Room is quite roomy, mattress and pillows are good, sheets are new and clean. Everything else, nothing fancy.
- The bathroom is OK (shower only, not bath tub), clean with basic toiletries.
- Free breakfast, though it's only slices of bread with jams and butter and tea/coffee.
- Personal service - because, as highlighted in one of the previous comments, the lady (a Thai with a quite good command of English, and German, I think) who is the receptionist is also the waiter during breakfast and the chambermaid.
- Free WIFI internet - though in the end I must say I didn't actually use it.

The Not-So-Good:
- The reception, located on the 2nd floor, is small, and doesn't look like a hotel reception.
- Room has no fancy view.
- The lady who is the receptionist is also the waiter during breakfast and the cleaner. Despite this, she is good and friendly.
- Breakfast is minimal, not a buffet. The bread and drink (tea/coffee) are unlimited though upon request :-)
- The lady stays until around 5 or 6 pm only and afterwards, you'd need to call a mobile no. for check in.
- The main door is locked in the late evening but along with your room key, you'll also get the key for the main door.
- Quite expensive, but then so is everything else in Switzerland :-)

To me, the hotel is actually more comparable to a 2* or 3* Bed & Breakfast in the UK, in some cases, even better. Looking past the room price (or any price tag in Zurich, for that matter :-D), I would certainly wouldn't mind going back to the hotel in the future.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Anonymou5
Reviewed 10 December 2009

I travelled to Zurich in Nov 09 and to had to stay one night in this hotel due to some flight delay. Here it goes, I reach the hotel no one at reception, though a phone number is there call him up and there comes someone to attend. Limited credit cards accepted. Room had old fashioned feeling, first impression not pleasing . Now you goto the bathroom and find missing toileteries. The bathroom needs real renovation, hard to stay in it . Then the morning breakfast eat bread butter jam with cofee.
I would rather spend some more to get a better place.
Only advantage 2 mins walking distance from tram station.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EuroTravellorFinland
Reviewed 3 December 2009

This hotel is in a great location - BUT it has problems. . . . The receptionist is also the caretaker, waitress and general EVERYTHING. She does everything here and treats the guests as if they are in her home. . . she will walk into your room without knocking. . . tell you to leave so she can clean NOW. . . .
Breakfast. . . a joke. . . . continental breakfast is fine but this just doesn't cut it. you also get accosted if you come half hour before the ending time (0930). She wants to get out so she can get back to her other job.
My room did not have a bathroom in the room - it was on the hall shared with 2 other rooms and anyone else who wanted to use it in the hotel (14 rooms). The shower stall did not have a curtain or any enclosure either. . . it was quite dirty as well. . . .

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Travelinman76
Reviewed 21 November 2008

We found this hotel online searching for an affordable place to stay in downtown Zurich. Hotel Villette popped up on a Swiss Budget Hotel website and we could not find any reviews, so we decided to take a risk and book anyway.

It turned out to be a very pleasant place with a great location. We parked in a near-by garage (Hohe Promenade) and walked maybe 5 or 10 minutes to find the hotel. We took the elevator to the reception desk, hit a buzzer, and was greeted by a very nice lady. She spoke excellent English. We paid up front in cash (Swiss Francs) and she gave us the key to our room. They may take credit cards, but it was unclear at the time.

The room was small like most European hotel rooms, but not too cramped for me and my husband. It came with standard features such as a mini-bar and a queen size bed. The bathroom was in dire need of a renovation, but clean. The water was very warm, but did not get hot. It was not a deal-breaker or ruin our stay. The room was very quiet. Wool blankets kept us warm. The TV was small, but adequate.

It was centrally located to the tourist part of the city. All major sites were within walking distance.

The hotel does not have its own parking. The parking garage is always available, but can be expensive if left overnight. We were lucky enough to find curbside parking nearby, which was free between 9 PM and 8 AM. After 8 AM you have to charge the parking meter every 2 hours.

Breakfast was complimentary. It was served in the downstairs restaurant (a fondue restaurant owned and operated by the hotel), but was only some bread served with assorted cheeses and jellies. Coffee, juice, and hot tea were also served. There was room for improvement as far as breakfast was concerned.
In the evening the restaurant looked inviting, but we decided to go elsewhere.

Overall, we left very satisfied with this hotel. It was very affordable compared to others in that area of Zurich. It has great potential, but unfortunately the place does not seem to advertise for itself enough. I would definitely recommend it for couples traveling thru Europe on a budget. Don't expect anything fancy like the worldwide chains. It is a privately owned hotel with charm, where we were extremely comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple