“Convenient, Reasonably Priced, Comfortable”

Holiday Inn Zurich Messe
Ranked #67 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Convenient, Reasonably Priced, Comfortable”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My wife and I travel to Switzerland at least once a year, and each time we make a point of staying at the Holiday Inn Zürich Messe the night before our departure from the airport. The rooms are interestingly decorated, technologically state of the art, meticulously clean, and reasonably priced. The staff are exemplarily courteous and helpful, and the restaurant offers an interesting, diverse menu of well-conceived, -prepared, and -presented dishes. If we did not stay with family in Luzern for the bulk of our time in Switzerland, we would happily spend more than one night per visit at this excellent hotel, which I am happy to recommend without hesitation.

Room Tip: If occasional traffic noise is an issue, ask for a room away from the main street. The helpful staff...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Baf426
GMHIZM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your thrilling review of our Holiday Inn Zurich Messe. We are more than happy to hear that you you're a regular guest of ours and that you enjoy staying with us. We also love the comments on our staff, which are very rewarding.

Hopefully we will see you again soon, it will be a pleasure to have you with us!

Kindest regards from Switzerland

Michael Deutsch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I arrived in Zurich with two friends after a meeting in Davos just for an overnight stay prior to catching an early morning flight. One of my friends had booked a stay in the hotel, so we decided to chance it and go along with her to see if there were rooms available. She had mentioned that the hotel was relatively quiet when she had stayed there on the way up to Davos, just a week prior. It was also a weekday night and we didn't expect the hotel to be full. There were rooms still available via online booking as well.

Now, I don't ever, ever take chances like these. I'm extremely low-risk and would much prefer making a booking ahead of time. Still, I was persuaded to try a walk-in room booking in Holiday Inn.

I approached a lady at the counter and asked if I could book a room for that night. I spoke in English. She looked at me without an answer, so I repeated myself. She said 'Ah Reservation' and then proceeded to tell me that they had no more rooms left. I was little shocked, so I asked again and she said 'Sorry, no'. I turned to my friends and they were rather stunned. Still, the friend with the reservation proceeded to collect her room key and then asked if three could share a room, to which again, she was told no. That seemed like normal hotel policy anyway. Deciding to try her luck, my friend asked again for another room, and this time the lady said 'ah! you want another room! okay'.

I was shocked and asked why we had gotten different answers in the span of minutes. She looked at me and said that she didn't understand. At this point, thankfully, a gentleman at the front counter quickly attended to us and got us a room. I thought of asking him why his colleague had said there were no rooms available instead of just saying that she didn't understand my request, but what good would that have been anyway.

So okay, the hotel was clean, well laid out and quite quiet. Good for a nights rest. A short drive away from the main town in Zurich, and barely 15 minutes away from the international airport. The toilets in the standard room were a little strange. The door was a sliding partially frosted glass one, making sharing a room with a colleague a bit awkward. Thankfully, we were all too tired to care. We had very soft pillows and were too tired to ask for a change, but it seems that the hotel offers all kinds of pillows at request. We also had a travel adapter sent to our room on request. Wifi was free and fast.

Unfortunately, all this comes to naught if the counter were to deny guests available rooms. I can understand that language may be a problem in a mainly German-speaking district, but in the service industry, shouldn't a appropriate response be to ask me to wait till someone who was able to speak English would be able to assist me? Or dare I suggest that there was another reason why I was refused a room, but my friend was able to get an extra room? The rest of our stay in the hotel would have been pleasant enough, but our very first encounter with the service staff left a sour taste in our mouths for the rest of what was an enjoyable trip.

I guess I've learnt two things from this, 1. Book ahead of time no matter what your silly (but well-meaning) friends may suggest, and 2. If the answer is at first no, try and try again. Or maybe try someone else.

Good luck with all your hotel plans.

Room Tip: Well, that depends if you're even allowed to get a room in the first place, doesn't it?
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank JumpJump
GMHIZM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for having Chosen our Hotel for your recent stay in Zurich and also for taking the time to write down all of your detailed comments.

I am sorry to here about the hassle you had to get a room. Obviously there must have been a misunderstanding when asking for the room. All of our employees at the Front desk speak English, German and most of them another language. The only ones who do not speak English fluently are the apprentices of our housekeeping department. It is part of their Apprenticeship that they have to spend half a year at the Front desk. Whenever they are working at the Front desk there is always a Front Office Agent with them so they would never be working alone. I can only imagine that when you first asked for the room you talked to one of our apprentices and she misunderstood you. I am very sorry that your Impression was that we are inconsistent in offering rooms. Of course we want you to stay with us and I am happy that you could finally check-in and stay with us. Please rest assured that this is an isolated incident. I hope you can accept my sincere apologies.

We would be pleased if you would give it another try and stay with us again on your next trip to Zurich.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on business for a meeting in Zurich region. Hotel is ten mins away from the airport by taxi chf 35. Very efficient check in and very helpful staff at the desk. Nice upgrade provided, so thanks for that, and internet access offered for free due to my membership of the priority club. Bar area is good, and I have a sandwich which was served quickly and it was delicious. Breakfast buffet very well stocked with fresh food.
A good hotel if your staying in the airport area.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank jeffswork
Dear guest,

Thank you for having Chosen us for your recent stay in Zurich. We are very delighted that you've enjoyed your stay with us and we thank you so much for the very favorable review.

Whenever you find you way to Zurich again, we will be more than happy to host you again!

Kindets regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stay: 1 night in November 2013.

Staff: English-speaking. Although check-in is 15:00, I got a room around 12:30.

Room: Standard Room with queen-size bed, on 6th floor. Small desk. Very quiet, even with some cycling event on across the road at the Hallenstadion during my visit.
Bathroom: Large stand-alone shower.
Amenities: No fridge/mini-bar, individual aircon control (quiet operation), automatic external blinds.
WiFi: Free. Worked well, no blocking.

Breakfast: Very good value "all you can eat" buffet (sausages, bacon, hash browns, boiled/scrambled/poached eggs, pancakes, smoked salmon, meats, cereals, fruits).

Location: Next to Zurich Messe/Hallenstadion. 10min/750m walk to Oerlikon train station, which is a major station with great connections to Kloten airport and Zurich city centre, and has good shopping options nearby.

TV Channels (English): Bloomberg, CNN, BBC World, Sky News, ITV 1 & 2, Film 4. Remote had Satellite TV button but nothing happened when I pressed it - didn't bother me for only one night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Jaunt411
GMHIZM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Holiday Inn Zürich Messe for your recent stay in Zurich.

We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Today is my second day I stay at this hotel. Before I stay here i just read some review at tripadvisor.
I found that his hotel have to follow the rule fro, the govm not to turn on the ac whem the weather below 19°C, so i dont surprises, that my ac is off.
So, i open my window, to let the air flow.
I very surprise with the service of this hotel. The receptionis very profesional and willing to help.
They give us map around the hotel, they explained me what we are looking for.
Unfortunetly, my room is in front of the road, that very busy. Because i open my window, so the sound is noisy, the sound of car, people singin and others. Maybe it will be good, if next time I get the room with other view (not the road)
Overall, i happy to stay here, and hope will be back here

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ars127
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Zurich Messe, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear andyrachmat,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are happy to hear you appreciate the effort of our hotel staff. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay due to the outside noise. We will certainly discuss your comments with the appropriate department. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the accommodations we have to offer to our guests.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Guwahati, Assam, India
Reviewed 7 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel for 3 day's.The hotel location is very much comfortable.The staff in the front desk and also the room service staff are very friendly and helpfull.The interior of this hotel is very simple yet very elegant.I think cleanliness is their top priority which is very good for the guest.They have a very wide selection of food items in the buffet breakfast.Excellent location and easy access to all transport.Really a must stay for those people visiting Zurich.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the very favorable Review of our Hotel. We are truly happy that you've enjoyed your 3 days with us. Your comments on our staff and cleanliness are highly appreciated and very much rewarding.

We would be very delighted to welcome you again on your next trip to Zurich!

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My family were visiting Switzerland and I do not have any space to let them stay at my home, booked 2 rooms in this hotel and I stayed with them together through their visit. It's in a really good value for being in a not-so-bad location in Zurich, its right in front of a bus stop, one stop to Oerlikon center & train station, also really close to the tram 11 which can get you to the city real quick. Rooms were nice, I stayed in a standard room with my brother which was fine, we were out all the time anyway, my parents were staying in a bigger room and they enjoyed it.

We had 3 breakfast buffets at the hotel, options were not great but okay, very local, just didnt like the fact that they actually made hot chocolate with water instead of milk, couldn't drink that... Overall was a good experience in a good price for being in Zurich.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NumberThirtyFour
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for having Chosen us for your recent stay in Zurich and also for the time you have taken to write this Review.

I am very happy to hear that you and your Family enjoyed the stay with us. I am actually surprised about the hot chocolate with water because vertainly we also do prepare it with milk. Sorry for that, I don't know what happened.

We would be very delighted if we would see you again if you visit Zurich again.

Thank you again for the favorable Review!