“I felt like I a hospital .... Had to go to bed early”

Hummer & Austernbar Zurich
Ranked #19 of 1,928 Restaurants in Zurich
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Uber 75 Jahre ist es her, dass Ernst Manz im "Zunftsali" des Hotel St. Gotthard die Hummerbar ins Leben gerufen und damit eine perfekte Buhne fur prominente Leute wie Placido Domingo, Jose Carreras, Arnold Schwarzenegger und Gunther Sachs geschaffen hat. Die Hummer & Austernbar ist eines der fuhrenden Restaurants an der Bahnhofstrasse Zurich und eine sehr bekannte und beliebte Institution in kulinarischen Kreisen. Die Hummerbar wurde 1935 eroffnet und ist sehr traditionell und doch innovativ in der Zubereitung von Hummern, Austern und Meeresfruchten aller Art. Bis heute hat das Gourmet Restaurant in Zurich die Originaldekoration bewahrt. Fotos von beruhmten Filmstars und Politikern, welche bereits Gaste waren, hangen an den Wanden. Die Hummerbar bietet klassische franzosische Gourmet Kuche an, kombiniert mit einem mediterranen Akzent. Sie konnen in einem eleganten Ambiente frische Hummer oder Austern geniessen und werden stets mit abwechslungsreichen und innovativen Gerichten uberrascht.
Geneva, Switzerland
“I felt like I a hospital .... Had to go to bed early”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

The food was excellent but as I arrived at 9 nine I was pushed to have a 3 course meal and an aperitif before the sacred time of 10:30..... It was like my cheap Chinese restaurants in Geneva at the price of a one star Michelin..... When I decided to go the bar and asked for a drink, the batman started at his watch and grimaced ..... Never more in life .... For the price you pay better go to professionals.... These ones don't need clients anymore ....

• Visited April 2014
Martin S, Manager at Hummer & Austernbar Zurich, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear Claudio V

Thank you very much for your honest comment at Tripadvisor. We are very sorry that you had to rush through your evening in that manner, which is unacceptable. Please contact us under m.santschi@hotelstgotthard.ch in order to be able to reconstruct your evening and to take action with our staff. Your opinion is most valuable for us so we can correct our mistakes. We hope to get a second chance and to invite you for aperitif. Looking forward to your next visit we wish you in the meantime all the best.

With kind regards

General Director

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Zug, Switzerland
“Seriously overrated”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Stimulated by the good trip advisor rating, I organised a business lunch at the Hummer Bar. While its location is quite convenient ( a few steps away from the main station) the quality of food was a big deception! The lobster spagetti was soaked in a rather unappetizing brown sauce, the spare lobster pieces rubbery, the sole soaked in butter, and both dishes at a steep price of over CHF 80, definitively not worth it!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Swisscheck
Martin S, Manager at Hummer & Austernbar Zurich, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear swisscheck

Thank you very much for your comment at Tripadvisor. We are very sorry, that you were disappointed with our food. We are known for our high quality prepared from our french chef. We would be very pleased to get in contact with you per mail (m.santschi@hotelstgotthard.ch) to discuss more details about your experience. The waiter should inform you that we offer the sole meunière (in beurre noisette) also just from the grill or poached without butter.
We hope to get a second chance and invite you to show our improvements. Your feedback is very important for us. Thank you for getting in contact with us.

With our best regards

Zurich, Switzerland
“outstanding meal and service”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We booked a table for a romantic dinner with my partner, already the reservation was pleasantly easygoing and friendly compared to any other restaurant in Zurich. The interior design of the restaurant is very nice dark wood, and bordeaux-ish walls, but nothing overwhelming, alltogether it really gives you a friendly atmosphere. Ordered salad, and salmon as a starter, salad is huge portion and very tasty and the smoked salmon is just perfect with the blinis and creme fraiche. Entrees were lobster in champagne sauce, and beef tenderloin, both exceptionally good, the beef the most tender my partner ever ate. Tiramisu variations as a dessert for my partner, complimentary desserts for me, no need to say I was already full, but honestly, and I m saying it as a huuuuuge sweets fan, the menthe macaron was really the best macaron I had in a long time. The flavour of it just slowly opened up in my mouth, seriously I didn't have words for that.(I still don't have...)Extra plus point, when I mentioned that this was so good to our waiter, in a couple minutes he came back with a small plate of the green menthe macaron......What can I say, these little things separates top restaurants from outstanding ones. Bill reflects the quality, definitely not for everyday, but also definitely you get what you pay for - a 5*star culinary experience. Thanks for the staff for the great evening, will go back soon.

1 Thank Mssandra
Martin S, Manager at Hummer & Austernbar Zurich, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Mssandra,

Thank you very much for this detailed and excellent evaluation at Tripadvisor. It makes us very happy to know, that you had such a pleasant evening with us. We certainly will pass on your compliments to our staff and hope to welcome you soon again.

Kind regards

Martin Santschi
“Classic french cooking perfectly executed”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is a classic French restaurant, a throwback to years gone by

We had oysters (to share) and lobster for main course with a bottle of Chablis premier cru

Food was exquisite and service immaculate

Not cheap even by Zurich standards but a wonderful place for special occasions

1 Thank Keith M
Martin S, Manager at Hummer & Austernbar Zurich, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Dear Keith M,

Thank you for your excellent comment on Tripadvisor and your precious time. With great pleasure we aknowledge the compliments of our highly appreceated guests and will pass them on to our staff. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Best regards

Geneva, Switzerland
“Excellent food - flawless service in the traditional style”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

The interior of this restaurant in central Zurich is very stylish with paintings of seafood and elegant furnishing. The service was very attentive, the food excellent. We went for the business lunch. The truffled velouté as well as the gorgonzola risotto were extremely tasty and also the seabass served with vegetables was cooked to perfection.

• Visited February 2014
Martin S, Manager at Hummer & Austernbar Zurich, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Jamesfood,

thank you for your motivating comment, we forward with pleasure to our service & kitchen staff. We are very glad that you tried our business lunch, very much appreciated by our clients, because of the quick service and the reasonable price.

Looking forward to welcoming you soon again, we remain

with our best regards