California House
US$232
US$204
  • Restaurant
Bristol Hotel Zurich(Zurich)(Great Value!)
US$198
US$278
US$259
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Leoneck Swiss Hotel(Zurich)(Great Value!)
US$191
US$227
US$440
US$423
  • Room Service
All reviewsno liftsmall kitchenettecarry your luggagecity centretram stoppublic transportbusiness triphobssofa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I found this hotel online and really choose it for the price and location. It is a great central location and with the trams outside it is 10 minutes into the centre of Zurich.
As this is an expensive city and I was on a budget this was a good option and the rooms offer self catering facilities which again in the city is a plus. There is a local supermarket which has everything you need and also some local cafes and also the rooms are above an Italian restaurant which I did not try but smelt really tempting.
The check in was automated and was very easy and the staff very helpful
There is not elevator and I was on the 3rd floor but as I only had a small trolley bag was not an issue. The rooms themselves have everything you need, they are basic and it reminded me of a student bed-sit but were clean and functional.
The internet is free but I did keep loosing signal which was somewhat frustrating but as I was on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel I had no noise which I ready in the other reviews where a problem for some people. But even though this is a main road it is not busy at night
Of course there are some really beautiful hotels in the stunning city and if you have the budget yes there are much better options but if like me not then I would recommend this as a good option.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank go2mike
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The apartments were straightforward to travel to from the centre if Zurich with trams 3 or 8 which takes about 10 minutes or 40 minutes on foot. We were visiting friends in Zurich who assisted us with finding the apartments for the first time, otherwise we might have found it more difficult from the tram stop. They are on the main road but above an Italian pizza restaurant with the sign for the apartments down the side of the building and not easily visible from the main road.
We arrived at the apartments at about 10:30am, however we were able to check in and although our apartment was not ready, they were happy for us to leave our luggage in the reception area and it was put in our apartment when it was ready leaving us to enjoy the day out in Zurich.
We enjoyed our stay in the apartment, the weather was sunny although cold but the balcony was large for two people and we enjoyed sitting outside especially with a few beers from the supermarket which made out evenings slightly cheaper! The apartments have basic cooking facilities with a microwave and hobs so food can be prepared again saving some money. The bathroom was small but was fine for meeting our needs. The apartment was very clean and well maintained.
We were in the apartment next to the reception though which meant that in the mornings, there was no chance of a lie in due to the communal areas being cleaned and being able to hear phone calls etc on reception.
We left the apartment early in the morning for our return flight and although there is meant to be a secure box to leave keys in outside of reception hours, we could not find this so ended up having to leave the apartment key on the reception desk that was unattended. The area is covered by CCTV but we still felt a bit uncomfortable doing this.
Given the spotless apartments with good facilities and the location with quick, easy access by tram to the centre of Zurich, we would recommend this to people staying in the city.

Room Tip: Apartments away from the reception area may be quieter with better quality of sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elly-Cardiff
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I have stayed at California House twice now and it is, almost, a perfect find. Good value, comfortable hotels in Zurich are hard to come by so California House seemed to fit the bill. Admittedly it's not in the city centre and there is no receptionist after 5pm - but it wasn't hard to reach by tram from the central railway station and the auto check in was easy enough. The rooms are basic but comfortable and warm and the TV and wifi more than adequate.

Lack of tea and coffee making facilities always disappoints me but it was only a small detail.

On my second stay I was given an even nicer room - all was looking good - but on plugging in the kettle (this room had one) I managed to trip the fuses plunging the room into darkness. Seemingly only a minor issue, the lack of a receptionist and of any obvious out-of-hours number, either at reception or in the room guide, meant I had no choice but to put up with no light until morning. That was fine, I went to a bar. And the next day the very friendly and helpful receptionist was full of apologies and helped resolve the situation.

However, a simple lack of an after hours contact number, clouded my stay at a hotel that otherwise would have been very good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Benedict2014
Reviewed 16 February 2014

On short notice, we booked California House because of its decent price. Unfortunately, we got what we paid for. The airport information attendant sent us to the Hotel California instead of the Hotel California House which was a much farther distance from the airport. After we found our way to the apartment style hotel, we tried checking in at the self check-in computer which did not work. Once we found the receptionist desk, we were given a room which was a few feet away from the front desk- absolutely no privacy. The room itself was clean and spacious enough with a balcony that faced into the next apartment's windows. The doors did not lock or unlock properly with the key we were given and the older gentleman at the front desk scolded us "Stop doing that!" as he heard us struggling to get the doors locked. The rest of our visit we made sure we were quiet enough so we did not upset the grump. We were afraid to speak to loudly or put the T.V at a normal volume. Lastly, we were unlucky enough to have the room that was directly in front of the construction that was going on right in front of our room window. That was an early morning wake-up call we were not happy about. We will not be returning... ever.

Room Tip: Make sure your room isn't facing the street- too much noisy otherwise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jlopez5408
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I was surprised by the kidness of the receptionist who gave me a chance to check-in way before the 5 pm that was listed. The room was very nice and included a whirpool bath, a small kitchen area with plates, silverware, etc. Good location.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo