“Stay away from this dump!”
Review of Citystudios

Citystudios
Ranked #23 of 46 Zurich B&B and Inns
San Diego, CA
“Stay away from this dump!”
Reviewed 12 April 2010

This was the worst accommodation I have stayed in for a very long time. The place is grossly misadverstised. It is nothing like what you expect from the web pages. The room reeked of smoke, so much so that I developed a sore throat the next day. There was no elevator, and we had to haul our suitcases up the narrow staircase to the 3rd floor. All night long there were people jumping up and down above or to the side of us, as the there is some kind of dance club adjacent to the apartments. It was a shock when we arrived there. We were checked in by someone at this "dance club", and that was the last we saw of any staff! A very disappointing place, and one that any self-respecting person would be well advised to stay away from!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Occasionl_Traveler
ManagerCitystudios, Manager at Citystudios, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thank you for your post.

Our Place is above a place where until a year ago they had dancing evenings on some Sundays in winter. For 1 year the Reception was at the Reception of this place which it is not anymore.
Our rooms have also gotten new floors, new Tv's etc.

Should you wish we can provide you with a non smoking room on a first come first serve basis. Just let me know after booking at info@citystudios.ch

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bay Area, California
Reviewed 15 January 2010

I read the reviews here on TripAdvisor before booking here. Most people seemed to like this place so I proceeded with our reservation. The photos on their website make the rooms look light, bright and hip in the Swiss sense. However, upon arriving we were really taken aback by the lack of effort in decoration, quality, or amenities.

There is no lift first of all. Our room was on the 3rd floor (which is the 4th floor by US reckoning). Heavy suitcases? Make do. There isn't anyone to help you with your bags. You are on your own.

The bedroom consisted of three twin beds, of which two were pushed together to make a king sized bed, a small round table with two chairs, and a wardrobe that I could swear was bought at something akin to Ikea. There was way too much furniture for the size of the room (which was fairly small). There's nothing to keep the beds together and let's just say that they slid apart quite a few times in the night making for a terrible sleep.

I was traveling with my partner (he is 6'4", I am 5'10"). There was no top sheet, just two thin comforters with duvets. My partner's feet hung over the bed by at least 5". Very uncomfortable for him. So much for snuggling lest I wind up on the floor.

The TV? No batteries in the remote. We tried the on/off button on the TV. That didn't work either. Broken. Unfortunately, my partner needs the background noise of a TV to sleep (and I to drown on the noise of the drunk people out on the street). More issues leading to a not so good sleep.

Flooring is cheap industrial stuff that you'd find in a classroom. Throw rugs were something I'd put in my garage. The walls need paint. Cheap thin curtains which don't keep out morning light. This place needs a decorator's touch in a serious way.

Kitchen: very spartan. No means for making coffee (note: bring instant). No toaster, no oven.

Bathroom: In serious need of updating. Amazing water pressure. This is the one positive comment I can make so far.

Laundry: On the 5th floor. We're told it's free but you need to bring your own soap. We haven't checked it out yet.

WIFI: You need a passphrase to access it, but we weren't told this until we descended the four flights of stairs to inquire. Why not put a notation regarding this in the apartment?

Safety issues: We noticed that there aren't any smoke detectors or fire sprinklers visible anywhere. We were on the 3rd floor and there aren't fire escapes, rope ladders, or a 2nd escape besides the stairs. This made me quite uncomfortable especially since it's clear that there are smokers in the rooms (we noted an ashtray on our table).

In all, I felt mislead by the photos and descriptions. It's just not "nice" or charming in any way. I was severely embarrassed that I took my partner here especially after having been at the Sheraton Neues Schloss the night before. (It was quite nice but $335 a night with our corporate rate).

If you're 20 years old and this is your first trip to Europe, this might work for you. But if you're a seasoned traveler used to nicer things, this will be a disappointment. It's not only "no frills" but it's just not nice. At all.

Spend the extra $40 and go the Great Western on the same street. You'll be glad you did.

Note: I will try to attach photos to this at a later date.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Bay_Area_Traveler
Thank you for your response.
In 2012 we made new floors and Tv's into all rooms. But we are a no service Appartment house without elevator, if you need services, elevator or check in after 22.00 you should consider going elsewhere and pay the price for it.

But since we only rent, we will not update the Bathrooms so they are 80's style.
We have all the necessary fire regulations things in switzerland. And don't wory our houses are made from stone, so normaly it is no problem to exit it through the wellmarked and securiity lighted Staircase.
The Password for the Wifi can be found on the securitymap by the door.
As stated we have no elevator, should you be in need of a low room or a double bed, let me know after booking and we will try our best to accomodate you. info@citystudios.ch

Travellers are raving about these Zurich hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 November 2009

We stayed at Citystudios for a few days following a week of skiing in Zermatt. The studio was well-equipped with kitchenette, TV, free internet and use of a washer & dryer. The staff was friendly and helpful. Best of all is the location in Zurich's charming old town, surrounded by many excellent restaurants, bars and shops. The tram is within 2 minutes and main train station within 5 minutes walk -- making this a convenient location for connections thorughout Switzerland, Europe and/or Zurich International Airport. We recommend Citystudios whole-heartedly for those seeking convenience and good value!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple