“Fantastic friendly high-tech luxury hotel”
Review of Widder Hotel

Widder Hotel
Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I spent two nights at the Widder August 2014. It is a small luxury hotel in beautifully renovated houses nicely located in the old part of the city. It has a very friendly, accommodative staff, particularly concierge, Stephan. Our room was large and very comfortable with every high-tech gadget imaginable--e.g., very comfortable king bed that operated like twin hospital beds, so you can sit up and read comfortably in bed. Electric connections popped up out of the large desk, so you could connect all of your electronics. Nice bath. One nice benefit is that it is literally 100 steps from Kindli, one of the nicest restaurants in Zurich. The only drawback is that it is quite expensive. Switzerland is generally more expensive than the U.S. and the Widder is no exception. Nonetheless, we look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Widder Hotel

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were fortunate enough to stay at the Widder for 2 nights. The hotel itself is probably the most unique layouts I have ever seen. Everything down to the elevator just makes you smile. The actual room was perfect in everyway. At turn down service, they noticed that I take sparkling water and my boyfriend takes flat, so they had both out. Can't say enough good things about the location, service and overall experience. We will be returning to the Widder on our next trip to Zurich.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Penie P
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The Widder is a great example of Switzerland at its best. Service is flawless. Efficient and anticipating your needs in a manner that is friendly but never intrusive. The location just off the Bahnhofstrasse is perfect for business or leisure. The hotel itself is a gem, set in a series of historical town homes that have been merged together with a fantastic combination of rustic and modern that hits just the right mark. Rooms are all slightly different and are beautifully appointed with everything a modern traveller could want. There are many nice hotels in Zurich but the Widder is always my top choice.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank John L
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Spent three nights at the Widder. It is a simply wonderful small hotel with remarkable rooms and situated in a particularly strategic location in the middle of Zurich's Old Town. Breakfast was served in a beautiful atrium and the staff couldn't be more accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hgl27
Reviewed 16 July 2014

To be fair, we did not stay at this hotel so I cannot comment on the rooms. We stopped in while looking for a nice place for breakfast. The lobby is luxurious and the staff all seemed accommodating. The breakfast room was like a greenhouse with lots of windows on the ceiling and exterior walls. The servers were very helpful. Our meals were good, but not great. Very expensive at over 100CHP for 4 for basic eggs, toast and coffee.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Elke2955
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Check in took a long time even though we were the only guest at that time. I had to close the curtains all the time as next building was only 1meter away. There, I could see somebody's kitchen, office, etc. I wasn't aware n I almost got heart attack while changing clothes. Furniture was dated, mattress was discomfort. Bathroom toilet was smelly. All the requests I asked and confirmed in advance by emails were forgotten. The staff gave me a look when I asked to clean the room in the morning. I paid fr300 for 6 hours late check out n I can't even ask to clean the room?

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Ninakota
Widder-Hotel-Zuerich, Manager at Widder Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Ninakota

It is with great regret that we read your message and we are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us!

One of our USPs is our location in the heart of the old town. The streets are narrow within the historic part of the city and neighboring buildings are closer than you are used to in a big metropolis with skyscrapers. Zurich is, after all, a medieval town. All our rooms have been totally refurbished, the one you must have stayed in according to the location you describe, was only refurbished this March and it is not even 5 months old. The furniture is classic design, Corbusier and Frank Lloyd Wright, the beds and matrasses are also new and the bathroom has new fixtures and TV as well. We are sorry you did not like the design and style.
Pleas let us know if you plan another visit to Zurich, we will be more than happy to spoil you and make up for a stay you did not enjoy. We have 49 individually designed rooms and are sure we have one you will like!

With kind regards

Jan E. Brucker

Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights on a recent business trip. I can't really add much to the other reviews. The service, rooms and facilities were all absolutely terrific. Everything you would expect from a hotel at this level. Perhaps the best compliment I can offer is that I can't think of anything I can offer to improve the guest experience. The architecture of the hotel, which was built by combining a series of old buildings (eight I think), is marvelous. But, as I say in my title, it does come at a steep price. As I have never stayed in Zurich before, I don't know if this is reflective of the city, which is very expensive, or the hotel iself. I suspect it's a combination of both. Nevertheless, a great hotel experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business