“Still the gold standard”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Baur au Lac

Baur au Lac
Ranked #3 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Carmel, Indiana
“Still the gold standard”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

I'd last been to Baur au Lac in 2002 and was anxious to share what made my top five ever list with my spouse. Despite the curious postings here, thankfully it was the same, if not better. Check in was friendly, gracious and warm. The room was lovely (fresh flowers, heated floors and complimentary mini bar). Our dinner at Pavillon was spectacular. The food (which included what the waiter described as "surprises" - wonderful, several, amuse bouche) - was scrumptious as was the wine which was a choice from staff. We had top-notch attention, especially from the outgoing concierge, Jeremie Varry - who sorted through our train ticket scheduling challenge and made the rest of our trip much easier. The Baur au Lac moved up on our list, and for us remains one of the very top hotel experiences in the world. We absolutely loved our stay and hope to return. Accommodations, food and service at the absolute best.

Room Tip: Just stay there!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear pgerard54,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful review on your stay at the Baur au Lac.

We are delighted to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations and that you especially appreciated the personal service of our concierge as well as the accommodation and the food and wine at the Pavillon. We are very proud to be on your top five hotel list.

Rest assured that your insightful comments have already been passed on to our entire team. It is through kind and encouraging comments like yours that our team is constantly motivated to offer the best of care to each and every one of our guests.

It was a pleasure to have you and your wife as our guests and we truly hope to welcome you back at the Baur au Lac in the near future.

Wilhelm Luxem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Calgary
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is a lovely hotel. Great setting, beautiful grounds and nicely appointed rooms, BUT some of the rooms are quite small. Avoid any room ending in "41" as these are narrow rooms - almost claustrophobic, certainly not what you expect at this price. On the plus side, the breakfast buffet is excellent.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms ending in "41"
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear exgeo,

Thank you very much for having chosen the Baur au Lac for your stay in Zurich and for taking the time to give us feedback through tripadvisor.

We are happy to learn that you especially appreciated the setting of the Baur au Lac, our garden and the breakfast buffet in the restaurant Pavillon.

The Baur au Lac has a tradition over 169 years and all the rooms vary in shape and design. During a future stay we are convinced that we will be able to find a room which will suit your needs.

We truly hope to welcome you back to the Baur au Lac on a future occasion.

On the road
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

We mainly chose Baur au Lac it for its excellent location, and while the hotel indeed is very good, it somehow lacks character. There are tons of 5 star hotels like this, so nothing special about Baur au Lac. It was also a surprise that the breakfast was not included in the room rate. Me and my partner both had one croissant at the breakfast and ended up paying almost 100 CHF for it (full buffet price) – not too impressed. Recommended for business travellers, couples or families go somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chiisaineko
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Chiissaineko,

Thank you for your visit at the Baur au Lac and your honest feedback on tripadvisor.

While personal and individual customer service is one of our top priorities, it is very much to our regret you could not feel the “Baur au Lac Spirit”, we are striving to pass on to every one of our valued guests.

It is correct that the breakfast is excluded from the room rate. To avoid any negative surprises, we always mention this on our reservation confirmation. For the light appetite, we offer the possibility to choose from our breakfast menu, instead from the breakfast buffet.

We truly hope to welcome you again at the Baur au Lac, to demonstrate our sense for hospitality and provide you with an unforgettable Baur au Lac experience.

Kind regards,

Singapore, Singapore
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

DON'T EVEN STAY HERE for FREE.

I stayed at this hotel a few weeks back with my Mother - her first trip to Zurich and I wanted to spoil her by staying at the best hotel in town.

Honestly - I have stayed at many luxurious properties which have far superior service. The staff at the front desk are simply rude and cocky. I requested if I could get an upgrade (something special for my Mom and this being hospitality whether people agree OR NOT they tend to smile with their answer). I was talking to the gentleman at the Front Desk while checking in and when I was making my requests - the Front Desk Manager --- snapped at me citing I should not be making requests and even went on to make a noise to eluded that I was making too many requests. All I wanted to do was to spoil my Mother! I was completely taken aback - you CANNOT be the best if you CANNOT take care of my every whim and fancy. There is no NEED to pay top dollar for such an beautiful and expensive hotel which has such horrible staff. (He gave me an upgrade - perhaps noticing my mood was off after he SNAPPED at me but it simply wasn't worth it because his behavior was simply disgusting)

I was so upset with the Front Desk Manager while waiting for room I went to to talk to the concierge about planning activities for my stay. Between the arrival to my room and chatting with concierge - 15-20 mins had passed. When we walked into our room - we SHOCKED to find someone else's luggage placed in our room! I know for a fact that I would not want my luggage to be in the hands of someone random in case items get misplaced. A weak excuse was given that they did not have enough time to move luggage because they had given us an upgrade. Honestly that could be quite true but 5* means high level of service and efficiency! Not us having to deal with another guests luggage!

I was SO upset I called the General Manager of the hotel who merely cited - I SHOULD consider myself lucky that I got the upgrade. I complained about the staff lousy behavior and instead of doing something about it - stated, "Well you got your upgrade AND quite honestly I believe in giving my employees a second CHANCE". Sure let's give them a second chance I said - I DID NOT get an apology from the Front Desk Manager. What kind of luxury hotel doesn't ensure customer satisfaction at the end? What kind of GM tells the customer to suck it up? Especially when you consider yourself one of the BEST in Zurich. I have stayed at many MANY world class hotels but this hotel cannot be compared to anything but a cheap bed and breakfast.

The next day before heading out to breakfast - I called for House Keeping to clean my room. You can only imagine to my DISMAY when we came back to the room to find that the cleaning staff have left their dirty rags in the bathroom! What kind of service does this over priced hotel provide?! -- The kind that is not even worth spending 1 CHF ….

I encourage those of you who are looking to be looked after in a luxurious manner - GO ELSEWHERE if not incur the wrath of lousy staff with bad attitude.

Anyone who reads this review and is in SALES & CUSTOMER service will know that RULE #1,2,3 = CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT! If you can't handle all types of customers DO NOT be in the hotel business.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
16 Thank poojie21
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear poojie21,

Your arrival at our hotel started with your statement to our front office staff: „you better give me an upgrade if you like good ratings at Tripadvisor“

Our employees are dedicated to customer service, attention to details and special care. The limit to our service philosophy is unacceptable behaviour and blackmail.

Constructive criticism is welcome and helpful in our quest for perfection. However, your comments are entirely unfounded and deserve no further comments on our side.

Como, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

I am sorry to disagree with the majority of reviewers. I booked a room in January for August and when I arrived, the only room available was in front of a construction site! Although I found the staff to be very nice, nice did not cut it and I checked out the next day. To say "I am sorry" again and again and to not solve the problem or try to make it up to me is not acceptable. I actually was well received at the Storchen the next day and would not consider the Baur au Lac ever again. The Widder I hear is the better hotel. Such a disappointing experience!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Artista2013
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear Artista2013,

Thank you very much for your honest feedback on tripadvisor.

We are very sorry to read, that your stay at the Baur au Lac was compromised due to construction work originating from a building opposite the hotel.

As far as we are informed about constructions taking place in our area, we always try our very best to notify our guests beforehand. Unfortunately, in this case it was not possible as the noise was unexpected and we therefore hope, you can accept our sincere apologies.

We deeply regret, that we have not been able to offer alternative accommodation on this day, due to the fact that the hotel was booked to capacity.

Thank you for your commendation of our staff, this is always motivating.

We hope you can see your experience as an isolated incident and hope to have the pleasure welcoming you back again at the Baur au Lac.

Kind regards,

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

I travelled in Aug 2013 and stayed for 3 nights. Beautifully situated with lake view, metro arround the corner, beautiful garden and so convienent to go shopping. every one was very friendly, polite and very helpful. I had a painting that I needed to put in a hard tube and asked where was the post office near by, they took the painting and did everything for me at put it in my room. that is what you call is service. breakfast area with fresh flower bouquets was amazing and breakfast was also very good. I would go back to this hotel any time in future if I go to zurich.

Room Tip: Get a room with lake view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank rdhami
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Dear rdhami

Thank you for your wonderful and motivating feedback on tripadvisor. We are pleased to learn that your experience at the Baur au Lac met your expectations.

Our staff, in particular our Concierge and florist team, will be delighted to hear that their endeavour is so much appreciated.

We hope to welcome you soon again.

Kind regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

I booked for room to celebrate my honeymoon. awesome staff kind and helpful, clean room , high class restaurant , located in end of famous road which make even better for me they upgrade my room and offer flower and drink for free I was felt special. For me every time I visit Zurich I will book here

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Abi H
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Abi H

Thank you very much for choosing the Baur au Lac to celebrate your honeymoon.

We are delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your special day with us and especially appreciated the location, room and restaurant. Your kind words about our staff make us very proud and has already been shared with our entire team.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back to the Baur au Lac in the near future.