“Beautiful but not five star”
Review of Baur au Lac

Baur au Lac
Ranked #2 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, and I was well received on arrival. I was shown to an immaculate single room with lovely crisp bedlinen and a nice decor. There was a fruit basket in the room. Both the bathroom and the room were spacious, but there was no view. My room was facing another bulding. I did not mind, but it might be worth asking for a view if that is important to you. I found the hotel to be very quiet and I had a good night's sleep.The reason I won't rate the hotel as five star is because there were a few shortcomings and I expected everything to be perfect in this beautiful hotel. Firstly the food which was average. I ordered a croque Monsieur as a snack, and I received just that. A sad looking toast on it's own on a plate. There was no garnish of any kind such as for instance some salad or perhaps a few french fries and ketchup. Just the sandwich. Next I ordered dinner. The portions were absolutely gigantic-enough for a whole family, and I was on my own. The food was good, but nothing special. In the bathroom which was marble and absolutely gorgeous, the hand held shower in the bath did not work. There was a big shower cubicle, so this did not matter much, but you expect everything to work in a hotel of this reputation. I had to attend a Christening the following morning and put the breakfast slip out the evening before for breakfast at 7.30. I expected them to wake me with breakfast, But breakfast never arrived. Thankfully I woke up to notice! I could have missed the Christening. It turned out they had not even picked up the slip, so I had to order breakfast by phone and received it 45 minutes late which is a lot when you have an appointment in the morning. When the breakfast finally arrived I was disappointed as my omelette was gigantic and very dry. It was difficult to eat actually. I am sure the chef used at least eight eggs for one person. I only ate a fragment of it. On to the bathroom and washing my hair which I now had to do in a hurry. I normally have really shiny and bouncy hair with volume after a blow dry, but they have this weird all in one shampoo at this hotel which made my hair lifeless, flat and frizzy in spite of a blow dry. I did not pack my own shampoo as I have always encountered great shampoo and conditioner in other five star hotels I have stayed in. The blow dryer had good power, but unfortunately you have to press and hold a button for it to work, and in doing that the heat button constantly switches off because of the position of the hand. This was exacerbated when drying the left side as the cord was a little to short, so I ended up facing away from the mirror closer to the socket and it took me quite a while to do the blow dry as a result of all the above. And the end result, well, my hair looked like a lifeless rag. On checking out I complained about the breakfast not arriving and they apologised profusely, but I still had to pay for the breakfast and there was no compensation for the stress this had caused me. This hotel was very expensive and I expected perfection. Unfortunately I did not get it. If you do decide to stay here, bring your own shampoo and alarm clock!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view if this is important to you.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank phantom008
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear phantom008

We deeply regret to learn that your breakfast order was not picked up and thus not delivered. Rest assured that this incident was discussed with the respective person in order to avoid an incident like this in the future. Moreover we would like to thank you for input on the quality of food. We are convinced that food & beverage items need evolving reviews in order to keep up with international standards.

Your feedback regarding the shampoo is very valuable and much appreciated. We would like to take this opportunity to review our bathroom amenities and hope to be able to present you alternative products on you next stay. Please accept our sincere apology for any inconvenience this has caused.

We hope you can see this as an isolated incident which should not prevent you from returning to the Baur au Lac. I hope that you will permit us to correct your impression and remain at your entire disposal.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the hotel, excellent and professional service.
The Brasserie style restaurant was perhaps not up to the level, despite great food the service was somewhat slack.
I still think it's sad when a hotel uses it's standard rooms even when it isn't full, looking out the window into the courtyard always is a drag....Despite a huge bathroom and lovely room per say.
Alos strange that depsite 2-3 weeks of spring with warm temperatures and blue skies, there was no terrace open so no place to sit outside to enjoy the day, had to leave the hotel.
Conference facilities were 100%, impeccable service and outsnading catering - do NOT miss the home made birchermuesli! :)

Room Tip: Always avoid the rooms overlooking the courtyard.....
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gunnel B
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Gunnel B,

First of all I would like to thank you for your recent stay at the Baur au Lac and for having taken the time to write your reaction on Tripadvisor. Your feedback with regards to our facilities and services is extremely important to us and allows us to continually monitor and improve our services.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed the time spent with us and especially appreciated our service, our banqueting facilities and our homemade Birchermuesli. Rest assured that we will share your review with our entire team.

We are sorry to hear that the room to the inner court yard was not your preferred location. Numerous costumers especially ask for our inner court yard rooms due to their absolutely quiet atmosphere. We are most certain that during your next visit we will find a suitable room for you. Just indicate your wishes while making your next reservation.

Furthermore we have also taken note of your other comments regarding our terrace. It is correct that due to necessary maintenance works and weather conditions we usually do open our terrace during the Easter week, until then the terrace is being catered by our lobby bar team.

We hope to welcome you back to the Baur au Lac in the near future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I had two recent stays at this hotel. Its quiet elegance, location, and perfect service make it one of my favorite stays in the world. On my last evening before an early flight, I left my credit card at a restaurant. I had to cancel the card early the next morning. On checking out, the staff could not have been more helpful, advancing me some extra travel money, and telling me to just email them the new credit card number when I arrived home. This sort of kindness and trust is not often experienced these days.
Home now, but I find myself longing for that perfect quiet, airy breakfast experience in the Pavillion restaurant. My friends and I are planning our next euro-ski-adventure around a stay at the Baur au Lac. It's that good.

Room Tip: I have stayed in four rooms, each different, all cozy and quiet. Tip: when they offer to guide you t...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jon B
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Jon B,

Thank you very much for having taken the time to share your wonderful feedback following your recent stays at the Baur au Lac.

It makes us very proud that our employees were being most helpful while you were facing a difficult situation. Furthermore we are delighted that they were able to turn your stay into such a delightful experience. Your favourable description and warm recommendation of our property is very much appreciated.

Rest assured that we will share your kind words with our entire team, since they are a great motivation and help us to accomplish our daily service with passion and enthusiasm.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we are looking forward to your visit for the ski-adventure.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

I have recently had the opportunity of returning to the Baur Au Lac after my first visit nearly twenty five years ago.
The hotel is still the grand gem in Zurich.
Service is perfect , rooms are absolutely beautiful and the food , whether in the Breakfast restaurant or the hall is top standard.
Location could not be better, walking distance to shops , and of course around the lovely lake.
The hotel is a showcase of Swiss hotel perfection.
Do visit and enjoy the experience.
Marc M,
Victoria,
Australia.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank marc_moss
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Mr Moss,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay on tripadvisor.

It is always a pleasure when our guests choose to return to the Baur au Lac after so many years and we are still able to meet their expectations. We are very proud to read that you consider the Baur au Lac an example of Swiss hotel perfection.

Rest assured that your kind words about the service of our employees, the quality of food and the style of our guest rooms are very much appreciated and have already been shared with the entire team.

We hope that we soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Baur au Lac.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Difficult to review this hotel - it is just perfect in every respect. Attentive service yet not obsequious, incredible large rooms with extraordinarily comfortable beds, superb bathroom facilities, first class breakfast and so on and so on.
There is not a single thing that could be improved upon. Affiliated to the 'Leading Hotels of the World' the Baur au Lac leads the way.

Of course, it is not cheap.........

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear nucleartraveller8,

Thank you for posting your wonderful review about the Baur au Lac on tripadvisor.

We are absolutely thrilled to learn that you especially appreciated our discreet but attentive service, the size of our guest rooms and the quality of our breakfast.

Rest assured that we will proudly share your kind feedback with our entire team.

It would be our great pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 18 January 2014

Amazing place...very nice the garden during the summer...beautiful decorated little tearoom....very helpfull and friendly staff.
The food is very tasty and well served.
Very popular place for the elderly and beautiful aristocrats....

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank skfmac
Hotel_at_Lake, Manager at Baur au Lac, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear skfmac,

Thank your for taking the time to post your views about the Baur au Lac on tripadvisor.

We are happy to learn that the ambiance in our garden and the tearoom, as well as the quality and taste of food, was to your liking.

Your kind words about our employees are highly appreciated and make us very proud. Please rest assured that your feedback will be distributed to the entire team. It will definitely brighten their day!

We do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to Zurich and the Baur au Lac.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

This hotel is my faworit during long time already. It is one of the best hotels in Europe and believe me I visited really many hotels already, mostly members of The Leading Hotels of the World. Baur Au Lack - the best service, rooms, restaurans, location... I can recomend you!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Dear francesco….,

Thank you very much for this wonderful review on tripadvisor.

We are absolutely thrilled that you regard the Baur au Lac as one of your favourite hotels and are happy that you enjoy the time with us. Your loyalty and recommendation are highly appreciated.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back in the very near future.