“Disappointed!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for one night as a stopover for our European vacation. We chose it since it was close to the train station. We were given a handicapped accessible room which in and of itself is not bad but that's the best thing I can say. The air-conditioning on a rather warm day did not work. When I called the front desk the woman who answered came right up and confirmed that it was not working. Instead of offering to move us to another room or calling someone to fix the air conditioning, she ended up bringing a fan for us to use. This was not a satisfactory solution! The door to the bathroom would not stay closed. The shower curtain was broken and falling down while in use and the remote for the television did not work. I understand that Zurich is an expensive city but for what we paid for this hotel I expected more. Upon check out when I was asked if I found everything satisfactory. I responded with the list of problems we encountered. The response from the front desk person was "okay, thanks for staying with us". An apology or at least an attempt at some compensation would have been nice. Anyone visiting Zurich, my advice is to look elsewhere for a hotel.

13 Thank GaryB1985

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Very central, they serve an excellent Breakfast, the staff provided efficient and polite service, well furnished and comfortable room, clean bathroom, very clean and soft linen, strongly recommend this good place to stay in Zurich

Hervey Bay, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Where can I buy one of these beds? Damn that was a great nights sleep! This hotel was fairly well located, nice and handy to the train station and Bahnhofstrasse shopping/dining strip. Although other hotels may well be closer, Hotel Continental is close enough to be handy yet avoids any night time street noise.

The entrance to the hotel from,outside is a little drab looking, it's really just a spinning glass door entrance in the side of an otherwise grey concrete monolith... But once inside it nicely resembles the traditional swiss chalet style look n feel... At least reception area does. The hallways could do with a makeover, perhaps new carpets etc but nothing wrong with our room itself. Shower pressure was good and water was hot! Both very important to me.

Had a most enjoyable buffet breakfast in the morning, which was included in our room rate and the selection was of the standard you would expect from a 5 star hotel.

Personally I think the price was rather steep in comparison to everywhere else we stayed on our European trip... However, having said that it was one of the cheapest prices we could find for accommodation in Zurich.... So it might be very well priced when compared to other Zurich hotels of a similar star rating. The staff were very warm and friendly not to mention helpful.

Zurich itself is quite expensive, and is definitely designed for the rich and probably famous. We felt totally put of place. The prices of accommodation, taxis, food, drinks were all well outside our budget and we struggled to find somewhere to eat that we could actually afford. I wasn't going to pay the equivalent of AUD$96 for a steak. Eventually we did find a nice Chinese restaurant (I wish I knew its name so I could review them because their food was very good), but for the most part almost very restaurant we reviewed the menu too we had to walk away from based purely on price. Even McDonald's wanted AUD$35 for 2 burger combos with small drinks and small fries! Ridiculous!

Singapore
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Zurich HB is about 15 minutes walk away. Beware that there is a slope upwards to the hotel if you were to walk from the HB, dragging a heavy luggage was a little tiring. If you are lazy, it is also very convenient to catch a tram back to the hotel.

This was the first and only hotel to ask if I would like to upgrade for a larger room (since there were 2 guests). I guess perhaps its due to the hotel being in Zurich, but I had gotten free upgrades in my other accommodations so this left a sour note. Front desk staff were not as friendly and felt a little curt.

Room was well sized although outdated. Beds were not that comfortable as the middle had sunken in. Bathroom was of decent size as well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
M
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel is located in a very quite place 10 min on foot from the Zurich HB railroad station. The trip from an airport to the station takes approximately 10 min. There is free wifi at the airport so you can see the way to the hotel in google map. We reached the hotel in the late evening. At the reception we met gloomy unfriendly receptionist named Monja. I hope she was just tired since it was late evening. Next day and later all other staff was very polite and friendly. The room price didnt include breakfasts so we paid 29 francs per person per breakfast. There wasn't anybody in the hall who could help us to carry our luggage to the room. Our standard room was on the 4th floor. The size of the room was medium, not very big and not very small. There was a big kingsize bed with a very comfortable mattress, blankets and handy pillows. Everything in the room seem to be not shabby but new enough. Only in the bathroom there were some dirty places in the edges of the ceiling. Our room had the only one defect. It was impossible to open any window. They were blocked. An air conditioner didnt cope with getting the room colder. It was not hot in the room but it was not cold enough. And forget about fresh air. A receptionist told us that there are rooms with windows which can be opened but if the room faces the road blocked windows installed there to get the room more sound isolated. Thus our room had very good sound isolation. It's lack of racks in a wardrobe in the room. There is free wifi in the hotel but internet connection is awful! Disconnections happened constantly!!! In front of the entrance to the hotel restaurant you can find newspapers in German, French and several american ones in English. I failed to find British newspaper. Buffet breakfasts are great! There are a lot of hot dishes including omelette and fried bacon, muesli, yogurt, pastry including croissants, jam, cheese, pieces of meat. Also you can ask to cook fresh omelette or fried eggs. There are juices but if you'd like to drink fresh orange juice you should use manual squeezer. There are two nespresso coffee machines. So the hotel is great with good location and tasty breakfasts but next time i'll chose a room with windows which can be opened!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
EskoRe, Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Grüezi Exhausted24,

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay with us. Great that you enjoyed your time at Hotel Continental. Let me answer on your comments:
1) Arrival - I will follow up on your remark internally. Regardless of the arrival time, our guests deserve an authentic & friendly welcome. Further to that my Front Office team is more than happy to assist with your luggage, if no porter is available. Sorry, that this did not happen upon your arrival.
2) Room - we offer rooms in several categories. I recommend one of our spacious Superior rooms for your next stay.
3) Window - all windows facing the street side are intentionally blocked. This is indeed to improve the sound isolation and for security concerns. As my colleague informed you correctly we offer rooms facing the courtyard - there you can open the windows.
4) A/C - we will have it checked by our engineering. However, during very warm periods (above 30°C) all Euopean A/C's have their limitations (due to legal regulations)
5) Wifi connection - thanks for pointing it out. I will forward your remark to our IT department. Usually you are able to connect up to 10 devices with one W-LAN code.
6) No UK Newspaper - fair point. Thanks.
7) Breakfast - Thank you for your very nice feedback about it.

Hope that my answers were of any help for planning your next stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you soon again.

Kind regards,
Esko Rebstock - General Manager
Jabalpur, India
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The hotel is very well located.service is exceptionally good.the rooms are good in size but needs improvement,specially the carpets and the a/cs.
Bright Lighting is required in the entrance lobby.Rest is fine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Chandra M,

Thank you for your kind review. My engineers are constantly busy to keep our rooms and furnitures well maintained. Not an easy task in an older building. Since they do a great job, I am convinced that the A/C in your room will be fixed when you stay for the next time with us.
Thanks again for your comments. See you soon again.
Kind regards,