“Very nice hotel”

Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel
Ranked #34 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 August 2014

For some reason I have been staying in nothing but Accor hotels in Europe lately and this latest does not disappoint. Hotel is very convenient to the train station (<10 minute walk) and equally easy to the historic central district. It is maybe a 25 minute stroll to the lake. The staff at check in was very friendly and quick. The interior of the hotel is very classic and inviting. My room - 342 - was good size and quiet. The bedding is supremely comfortable. Wifi is free and speedy. Though I stayed on 3rd floor, my room directly looked into the parking lot, so you have to keep the blinds drawn if you want privacy. I didn't take breakfast, though it looked good. There are a couple of restaurants within 2 minute walk, though most people will venture out. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask not to face out on the parking lot if you are assigned the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
EskoRe, Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear trinzeon,

Thanks a million for your very nice feedback. Great that you had such a good stay with us.

There are numerous reasons for only staying in Accor hotels :) We are practically everywhere and our Le Club programme is hard to beat.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This Hotel has been just newly remodeled and is part o the Accor Chain. It is located smak in the center of Zurich and you can reach most places to see on foot. Near the Limmat and Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station). Our Room was an Urban Design big in size and comfortable. The bathroom was tiny but that is pretty normal in Zurich. Nice breakfast, underground parking SFR 30 per night (expensive) but this is Zurich. The staff was most helpful. The Room has quadruple windows that are bolted down. The good thing is no noise the bad thing is no fresh air. This is a four star property with up to date standards. Dr. K

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Ursus51

Grüezi Ursus51,

Great that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for sharing your experiences.
Price levels in Switzerland are compared to most other countries rather high - no doubt there. We keep our pricing on market level and 30 CHF parking fee per night is nothing unusal - considering our great location even on the lower side.
In our rooms facing the courtyard you can open the windows - ask for one of these rooms for your next reservation.
Thank you once again for your kind feedback.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We arrived here on August 1st to be told the whole town was on a National holiday but this was only to enhance our wonderful stopover evening in Zurich. The hotel is only a short walk from the station on a quiet road, The exterior of the hotel is not impossing (rather drab in fact) but the whole atmosphere inside is so different. Reception was probably the most welcoming and helpful team we had met on our 6 city visit. The rooms were perfect -even mini toblerone bars, and very spacious. Fabulously comfy beds and wonderful bathroom with seperate loo. I only wish we had had more time here. We will certainly visit again. We had a perfect time.Thankyou for a great birthday.

1  Thank FrancesMM

Grüezi FrancesMM,

01st of August is the Swiss National Day.

Thank you very much for your beautiful review. I will happily share it with my team - especially with the Reception.

See you soon for your next stay with us.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Upon arrival the lobby was clean and well kept. The big jug of apple juice was refreshing and welcome after our three hour train ride. The Receptionist, Muhammad, was friendly and helpful. Upon check in we were asked if we wanted the grand buffet breakfast which, at the time of check in, was discounted to 30 Franks a person. Concerned we wouldn't find breakfast in the morning nearby we decided to opt for the buffet.

When we got to our room we noticed that the room was well kept though the air was slightly stale (the carpet was probably old). The room was well accented with golds and silvers. There were also many wood accents and a framed quilt/tapestry at the head of the bed. A quick run of the finger over the frame showed slight amounts of dust but nothing crazy. The bathroom appeared clean and well kept. There was some caulking issues around the tub that should probably be fixed soon for their own sake but no mold. Included were the usual amenities that you would expect from any hotel bathroom.

This is where things start going bad for us.

We notice the room service folder and a breakfast card that you hang on your door should you want breakfast in bed which appears to be a gimmick of theirs. We noticed on the card that in fact there are THREE options for breakfast, two of which were less expensive than the grand buffet at 30 franks a person. It would've been nice to have known that we had options when we checked in.

After coming back to the hotel from walking around and finding dinner we pass by a coffee shop that appears to have several breakfast options more to our liking and ask the receptionist if we could cancel breakfast for the next day because it was too expensive for us. We were told that because of the "discount" (less than 5 franks a person) we received at check in we could not cancel breakfast. Again, another thing that would've been nice to know when we were asked the first time. At this point we're stuck getting the breakfast. More on that later.

When it was time for bed I decided to take a shower. Wow. Instead of a curtain, they have this strange pane of glass on a hinge that only covers half the length of the tub. This pane doesn't snap to the tub so if you happen to bump it you have to pull it back over otherwise risk getting the floor incredibly wet. Whenever I put my arms up high water would shoot off my arms and out of the tub because there was nothing on the second half of the tub to stop it. All in all I would say the floor mat was completely soaked by the time I was done with my ten minute shower.

Inspection of the bed shows that the mattress was probably the same one from the "continental hotel" that preceded the M Gallery. The hotel added a soft mat to go on top of the mattress to provide the illusion of a bed that was more comfortable than it really was. There was no mattress cover; just a sheet tucked over the mattress. A small thing but annoying once it inevitably got pulled out from flopping around at night. The last thing I want is my bare skin in contact with a bare mattress.

This is where it gets really annoying.

As it turns out, our room (234) is directly next to a service/maintenance room. When I say directly next to, I mean where we put our heads down to go to sleep is separated from this room by a piece of drywall a half inch thick. This means that all night we can hear the service elevator, Dumbwaiter (the food elevator), a two sink counter, and any number of other things that get used regularly in a hotel. I woke up several times to hearing items being poured out into the sink, the door to the service room being left to slam closed, and the lifts moving up and down. Why on earth would a hotel ever put a bed against the same wall as a service and maintenance room!?!?

The next morning we woke up and went to see the grand buffet. To anyone who hasn't experienced a good hotel buffet before it would probably be pretty nice. I have been to several breakfast buffets and this one was okay. I don't really think it was worth 30 franks. The eggs were very runny, the applesauce had a massive load of licorice in it, and there were baked beans from a can. Baked beans. Really? The dining room gave the appearance of a fine dining establishment and the staff attempted to act as such. I was disturbed to watch one of the staff bussing a dirty table perform a disgusting act of taking unused teacups and saucers off of a dirty table for six and place them on a two-top to be used again. Utterly disgusting. The man did it without even blinking which made me wonder if he had done it to mine which was fixed upon our arrival. The table could've had only hot water for breakfast and the cup could've appeared clean. You never know who used what and that's inexcusable. The staff was clearly untrained to fine dining and attempting to pretend.

That afternoon we came back to the hotel to take a nap and found that another wall was being drilled or sawed into from a different direction. No help there.

That evening I attempted to watch Television but found that it didn't work. Surprise. When I was getting ready to sleep I had to confront the night receptionist over the slamming of the door to the service room which I heard three times just before bed.

A long review I know. Most people will probably have a better experience than we did. This hotel is plagued by a feeling that it was recently bought out and M Gallery hasn't fully renovated it the way they want. My wife happened to notice a sign inside the armoire stating that the room normally went for 435 franks a night. HAH!. I wouldn't come back if it was 50 franks a night.

A note to the proprietors: just because someone books a room from a discount hotel site doesn't mean they deserve any less than other customers. Many of us book this way because we don't want to invest the full amount on a new hotel only to be dissapointed. Consider it an audition, not a concession.

Room Tip: Not room 234. Make sure your room is not next to a service room.
16  Thank Alex A
EskoRe, Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Alex A,

Thank you very much for detailed review. I am happy to answer on some of the points "where it got bad":

1. The alternative breakfast choices mentioned on the Room Service order form are served à la carte. These are naturally less expensive than a full breakfast buffet.

2. There are several bakeries, where you can purchase take-away items as breakfast alternatives at the main train station. But one will most likely not find a restaurant serving breakfast in close proximity. However, my team should have most certainly cancelled your breakfast booking - I will follow up on this right away. Sorry, that this did not happen.

3. Our engineering is checking the shower door in room 234 right away. Obviously the rubber seal was not on place in anymore.

4. Our mattresses are replaced on a regular basis. The topper should not create an illusion of a comfortable bed - it is part of the "mybed" concept. Upon request we are more than happy to remove the topper.

5. Room 234 is indeed located next to our service elevator. My team is instructed to keep noise levels as low as possible. Unfortunately this does not work all the time.

6. Baked beans are offered since they are for a large number of our guests part of a regular breakfast. We try to meet the needs of our international guests.
As soon as you do not dilute scrambled eggs with milk or cream (like a lot of hotels do), they could get easier runny - therefore we replace them regularly.
Our homemade apple compote has definitely a note of anis, which is actually appreciated by most of our guests. Unfortunately we can not meet everyones taste.
Our restaurant is not a fine dining place. We offer tasty down-to-earth food made from regional products.
The behavivour of my service team member is a no go. You are absolutely right about that. Rest assured that I will take care of this internally. We are very sorry for this faux pas.

7. Have you contacted our Front Office about the TV? Our engineer will check it right away.

8. Accor (MGallery is a brand of Accor) is managing this hotel already for decades. Until 2008 it was a Sofitel, which is also an Accor brand.

9. We do not make differences between our guests. It is reasonable to look for the best possible offers - this is something we all do in daily live. Therefore you will always find the best offer on our own site.

Mr. & Mrs. Alex A, once again I would like to thank you for your feedback. Hopefully I was able to answer on some of your points. It would have been great, if you would have let us know about the issues during your stay - we could have for instance looked for another room for you.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you have experienced. We, as a team, would be very happy to winning back your trust.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Rooms outstanding. Service kind and very good. Location of the hotel....excellent. The restaurant and breakfast were very rich and high quality presentation.
I liked the construction a lot. The use of wood in the construction makes this place very confortable, cozy.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Grüezi CRauert,

On behalf of the whole team of Hotel Continental I thank you for this outstanding review. Seems that we were able to make your stay memorable.

See you soon again.

Esko Rebstock & Team

Reviewed 11 August 2014

It's very strange to find in the center of such an international city like Zurich a chalet atmosphere dressed with elegance, swiss courtesy and professionalism. The entrance hall with the big fireplace impress a lot. Nice rooms. Located very close to everywhere in the centre.

1  Thank Natasha S

Grüezi Natasha S,

Great that we were able to impress you. Nice that you had such a pleasant stay with us.

See you soon gain

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Great location right next to the city center, and very close to the main train station as well (just a 5-10min walk away). The hotel is nice and efficient, all you'd expect for a city break or a quick stop over. The bedrooms are nice and spacious, and the beds are very comfortable. The little toblerones & the expresso machines are a nice touch as well.

I particularly liked the proximity to the train station which meant that both getting to and from the airport, as well as traveling to other places around Zurich was very easy and convenient.

One last thing worth mentioning is the fresh apple juice kept in the lobby - it was just great !

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
EskoRe, Manager at Hotel Continental Zurich - MGallery by Sofitel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Grüezi Neofelis,

Very true, our location is fantastic.
"Bauer Grimm's" apple juice in our lobby - thank you for pointing it out. A delicious treat for our guests - you should come back for X-mas; it will get even better.

Thank you for your kind feedback.

Esko Rebstock, General Manager