“First And Last Stay At This Hotel!”

Engimatt City-Gardenhotel
Ranked #76 of 139 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kingsport, Tennessee
“First And Last Stay At This Hotel!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Our party of four booked two rooms for two nights. After checking in the lady invited us in for the end of a buffet breakfast. We had fruit and coffee and were presented with a bill for $104.00! Having no choice but to sign the tab we felt sure the management would rectify the bill. We did not eat again the rest of our stay. We explained to the desk clerk that we did not eat there but that one morning and she was very uncooperative and said we must pay the bill! So my advice to travelers is find a nice hotel that treats it's guests fairly! The advertisement of a free breakfast is false. We stayed two nights and got no free breakfast!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shelleys59
Engimatt, Manager at Engimatt City-Gardenhotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for your comment you left here and on other portals. As already mentioned our rates do include the breakfast during the stay but as in every hotel worldwide not on the arrival day. Since you have decided to serve yourself from our breakfast buffet this has been charged accordingly. We do not check what our guest take from the buffet. But Coffee and croissants are served à la carte in the bar/lobby area during breakfast time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Hebrew first
Den Haag, Nederland
Reviewed 8 January 2014

The hotel had nice, spaceous, clean rooms with good beds and an own Nespresso machine. Breakfast buffet was nice. Located in a quiet neigborhood very close to a train station. I will stay there again on my next business trip to Zurich.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Tehran
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed 4 days at Engimatt. The hotel was very lovely and friendly. Everything was marvelously neat and clean, the staff were very friendly and kind, and all in all I enjoyed everything. My only problem there was the bed and pillow which were to soft for me.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Love this place... Reception / reservation / restaurant staff are professional & friendly
Rooms are very nice and comfortable
It's my second home when I'm in Zurich....
Value for money is great.
U have nespresso machine in your room.
Lovely garden terrace during warmer month

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed here for one night on business and was severely unimpressed; I recommend to avoid at all costs.

Pros:
It was clean.

Cons:
Very uncomfortable bed
Terrible pillows
Rubbish, scratchy towels
Not many toiletries, didn't even have proper shampoo in the room
CHF 270 per night for the above

Room Tip: Assuming all the rooms have the same uncomfortable beds and rubbish pillows, I recommend you stay so...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank panda1985
Giza, Egypt
Reviewed 7 December 2013

You feel like at home at this quiet neighborhood you feel like you live in the hurt of real Zurich as citizen and at the same time so near to the public transportation with a friendly helpful stuff exactly like you live with your family, never be shy to ask them for or about any thing. Good service and so clean. Good for business traveler.

Room Tip: All rooms have same view no need to choose from.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Beit She'an, Israel
Reviewed 24 November 2013

After a Thursday night Swiss Air engine failure…and not getting onto the Friday morning flight back to Tel Aviv, I found myself stuck in Zurich for Shabbat. As an Orthodox Jew, I needed somewhere to stay for the Sabbath and this was one of the Hotels on the list of Hotels close to the “Jewish” area of Zurich. At 10am on the Friday morning, I phoned them up and asked if they had 2 rooms available until Saturday night. They did.
I arrived with a colleague of mine at the Hotel at about 1200 and we were sorted out within a few minutes. We were given rooms on the Second floor and immediately went up and “dumped” our bags. We needed Kosher Food and some clothes…and luckily, there is a Kosher Deli 2 minutes walk away from the Hotel and a Big Shopping Mall about 5 minutes walk away.
After stocking up on Food (and socks and underpants and a clean Shirt bought in Sihlcity), I could finally relax for a couple of hours in my room.
The room was not massive, but very comfortable. There was a 32 inch TV ( that I did not turn on), a large single bed, a desk with chair ,a Nespresso coffee /tea maker, a fully stocked minibar ( not cheap – but I didn’t drink anything anyway), a comfy armchair and separate little table (with glossy books/catalogues about Zurich and Switzerland on) and a small wardrobe + shelves cupboard. The room was well lit with lots of extra lamps and the whole place was spotlessly clean and in excellent state of upkeep. The Air conditioning/heating worked perfectly, and the room was kept at a comfortable temperature at all times. There was free Wi-fi and I was up and running within a couple of minutes. The service and speed were fine.
The bathroom was also super clean. It was a single room, so 1 big, 1 medium and 1 small towel were hanging up neatly. There was only a shower unit (no bath), but it suited me fine.
It had been snowing and so I was not going to be going outside much, but there was a balcony and a chair and table out on the balcony. The view was also pleasant enough. The quiet residential neighborhood meant that there was never any noise in the room (either from outside or from other rooms).
I only actually had coffee for Breakfast on the Saturday morning, although I noticed that there were many other things available ( including fruit and salad) .
There was a problem with the lift for most of the time that I was there (but I was only on the 2nd floor and due to it being the Sabbath, I wasn’t going to use it either).
The staff was excellent and well aware of the requirements of the Orthodox Jew and Shabbat. They came and opened the door to the room without even being asked! They were friendly and helpful at every request (ordering a cab, telling us where to get where etc.).
We were 3 minutes walk away from one synagogue and 5 minutes from the other. This made everything very convenient.
Summary – A Lovely hotel, with excellent staff and service. Convenient for shopping and getting into town (and for Jewish things – Food, Synagogues etc.). Price was not cheap, but I wasn’t paying anyway.
Something to add – If you are an Orthodox Jew, remember to take out the light bulb before Shabbat in the light just inside the door of the room, as it goes on automatically upon opening the door.( and remember to return it after Shabbat!)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business