“absolutly amazing, best rooms ever”

Engimatt City-Gardenhotel
Ranked #81 of 137 Hotels in Zurich
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 December 2010

Unfortunately we only stayed here for the one night during our honeymoon, i could have easily stayed much longer as it was one of our highlights. We were not expecting much as the last few hotels in other cities had been quite dissappointing, however we were delighted by the friendly welcome by reception and then when we got to the room we were speechless. the room was large, 2 large beds that were together, big TV, lounge, free internet and chocolates on our pillows. Then we looked in the bathroom and it was HUGE.... it had a large bathtub, seperate shower, seperate toilet, a bench and chair for doing your makeup as well as the sink. I was amazed. The restaurant was expensive but well worth it. The service was 5 star and the food also was great. Probably the best hotel ive ever stayed in.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank exclent51

Reviewed 2 November 2010

It is a fresh looking hotel, with great parking unground carpark. Staff are friendly, free wifi in room, nice breakfast included in price. The room was very clean, comfortable bed with a coffee making facility. However, the room is not very spacious.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brettnjess
Reviewed 28 October 2010

After many hours of traveling we found this hotel to have comfortable rooms and quiet surroundings. Location is perfect if you do not need to be in the downtown or lake area and the tram to go either is close and easy to comprehend. Nice indoor shopping area close by and breakfast was very nice and fresh. I would stay here again when in Zurich.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2010

Today I booked via e-mail through the Expedia site a 2-night stay at the Hotel Engimatt in Zurich (Itinerary number 1656801726), my credit card being promptly charged 294,32 euros. Because of a trivial mistake in matching the days of the months with those of the week , I indicated checking in on October 08 and checking out on October 10, instead of my needs of staying from October 07 to October 09. I IMMEDIATELY reported by e-mail and phone the mistake to Expedia, but I’ve been denied any help. They referred to rules imposed by the hotel and declaring they would have refundend my reservation upon hotel's authorization. At the same time I had reported the mistake to hotel, asking it to be fixed. I fully understand that I made a reservation for a special non-refundable rate, but the immediate report of the occurred mistake could not have been of damage to anybody. I also offered to pay the difference (of few euros..) for a regular rate, but I’ve been denied also by the hotel, whose manager wrote after 6 hours that they could do nothing being everything up to expedia. I don't want to stay in such a hotel where people behave this way and I cancelled my trip, notifying the hotel the room won't be occupied at all. I think that, besides the endorsement of any formally corect rule, the sense of hospitality e behaviour of Hotel Engimatt's reception staff is worth being known by the Tripadvisor community . I would have preferred donating €. 294,32 for charity to poor Country instead of to a Swiss Hotel.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank Doctor G 06
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Very pleasant four day stay, clean tidy room and excellent breakfast. Only problem no morning call as ordered on final day! Receptionist in the evening was too busy making sure we had paid the city tax and had we used the mini bar to record it properly- aagh.
Other wise very good. It is slightly out of town but with the Zurich card (24 or 72 hour highly recommended) no problem as tram stop is 3 mins from hotel, zurich centre 6 mins on tram. It also covers tram and train travel to and from the airport, approx 50 mins airport to hotel door.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunban
Reviewed 23 July 2010

We arrived at Hotel Engimatt tired from a long trip. The hotel was a little hard to find and a few miles from the center of town. The initial impression was good – the place looked nice and the staff was very helpful and professional. Our junior suites, in this mid-sized hotel, were a good size, even though the furniture and bedding were somewhat dated. The bathrooms were clean and large for European standards. We asked the front desk for dinner suggestions and they were very helpful, calling several restaurants until we found the right one (which was also good, by the way). In the morning, we sat outside in their shaded patio for the breakfast buffet. The patio was very nice and relaxing. Overall, the stay at Hotel Engimatt exceeded my expectations, even though at 300 SFC per room, this is not an inexpensive place. This is not a luxurious and unforgettable experience, but definitely a nice, comfortable, friendly place.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 July 2010

The Hotel Engimatt is a peaceful hotel, nicely priced in a city with many expensive hotels. I was initially upset because my room (deluxe single) was on the side of the hotel that was closely to the autobahn (freeway) and I was worried about the noise. I was told by the receptionist that since I had booked a discount rate through Expedia I could not be moved to a room on the other side of the hotel (even though they are technically in the same category). But in fact the room was quite peaceful since a grove of trees separates the hotel from the autobahn.

The hotel has a basic breakfast and a lovely dinner in the very pleasant restaurant. The dinner staff are wonderful. If you are interested in a fitness center try the Asia Spa nearby. The hotel is conveniently located on a couple of tram lines - about 10 minutes to the heart of Zurich.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business