“Service is Exceptional Here!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel

Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel
Ranked #74 of 138 Hotels in Zurich
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Service is Exceptional Here!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Enjoyed 3 nights on business at this hotel. I loved the location - very close walk to the lake, cafes, the Bahnhoff Station, etc. The staff was so friendly. I arrived very early in the morning after my overnight flight and they greeted me by name and got me to my room straight away.

The rooms are pretty good for Europe. Very good use of space. The only challenge was the location of plugs, and the iron. It's all manageable though. If staying - definitely have a meal at the La Jardin restaurant and enjoy drinks and apps at the lounge at night.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that don't overlook the street. Much quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Very nice hotel with SPA. Food is quite expensive. Coffe and dessert for twos was 50 euro. Staff very friendly. Free wifi is appreciated. This hotel was a castle and has manicured grounds!

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

Over the years of my travel one hotel stood out as a place I wanted to go, feel comfortable and relax while doing my business. Although this place is a Sheraton, Starwood kept it like a small boutique hotel when they bought the Neus Schloss Zurich. In Switzerland this was a luxurious retreat.

However, sadly I have found detrimental changes over the last year. New management has come in and all the previous management was let go. Whether they left on their own accord or were pushed out I don't know. I understand change and the need for it. But the new management shows quite a difference between being a hotelelier with hospitality and a manager whose main concentration is on the numbers, not the guests.

The food and drink have all been turned around. Previously they brought in artisan from local farms offering local specialties, which was a nice change from the "regular road" of hotels and restaurants.
Unfortunately now their breakfast is only cheap stale bread, regular cheese, milks, jams. The melon is cut thin as paper. A quarter of melon is cut on the entire serving tray. In doing so they have made themselves less than ordinary at best, and certainly for luxury they have gone below pace. Frankly, it is very disappointing.

A new restaurant manager has come on. She is not hospitable like the previous lad who was there for some time. She stands and watches over you. She is more concerned about frantically cleaning tables for lunch and making quite a noise in doing so. Tedious mind in taking each individual plate, fork, knife and so on making numerous trips to clean one table.
She certainly needs to loosen up and get to know guest's a bit and what they might need, rather than acting like an army sergeant.
Not sure if she is in the correct career, its apparent she dislikes her job very much. Definitely not trained nor supervised by the new manager. He seems to have the knack of tearing down rather then building up the property for his guests.

Sadly it's not exclusive, nor homey as it once was. It causes one to now look around more in Zurich for other hotels. And there are more to choose from.

Oh, before I forget, the wonderful lady in charge of housekeeping, Margrit, is still there and always has a very warm greeting and welcoming to me. She keeps the hotel immaculately clean ! The inside of this property is very well maintained.

As a Starwood property this hotel should be supervised by Starwood USA to bring it to better standards.
I find more international travelers there now, I need to find out where the locals have gone.
Starwood USA should take a look.

I do wish this property the best to get back on track as it should be a Special retreat in the heart of Zurich. Hopefully the new manger will open his eyes and not only focus on his balance sheet.

Ps...There is no fitness center, pool, or executive lounge.

Room Tip: upgrades are nice if you can get one, certainly they were more available under previous management.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Sam S
Pieter-van-Beugen, Manager at Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Sam S

Thank you very much for taking time to give us your feedback through Tripadvisor.

Your detailed comments will be shared definitely with the management and the team, accordingly.

However, it would be great, if you get in touch with our Hotel Manager via phone
+41 44 286 94 00 so we can have a better understanding on the details and more information to investigate into those matters.
Please be assured that this is not the norm in our hotel – therefor your feedback is of great value for us in order to monitor and adapt our services.

Once again, thank you for your taken time to bring your concerns to our attention, and it is our hope to get another chance to be at your service again in the near future.

Best regards from Zurich

Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

I've stayed in a Sheraton before and this one didn't disappoint. My room was upgraded immediately by the very attentive reception staff and I joined the Starwood scheme. The reception staff made us feel very welcome and gave us lots of advice about the City.

The room was lovely and very clean with all the little luxuries I'd expect from Sheraton. This includes lovely touches such as bottles of water, Ricola sweets and a great coffee machine!

The only minor incident was that I was made to feel a little uncomfortable when I was using the ice machine to collect some ice for a bottle of champagne we had in our room. I think it was because I was collecting quite a lot of ice but it didn't spoil my overall experience of staying here.

The location of the hotel is fantastic, a short walk or tram ride from the train station and really close to the wonderful lake.

I don't understand why there isn't free Wifi in the rooms- there are PCs to use near the reception/bar area but in every other hotel I stay in there is always free Wifi in the rooms.

I would definitely consider staying here again if I return to Zurich.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YvonneNX
New Delhi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I stayed here on Business for three nights and everything was really nice and comfortable. Though the double room size seemed bit smaller. The staff is very nice and warm and helpful. I think they work too much. There's always some nice free chocolates and fruits near the reception that I loved to take. Location is ideal, walking distance to the lake and to the tram and other Zurich attractions. Free wifi at the lobby and reception area. Could get it free even in the room if I kept my device near the door.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better as they are quieter and give you better views
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Satyabrata
Pieter-van-Beugen, Manager at Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear sir,

thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor.

It is good to hear that you liked the hotel and were even able to get the Lobby area Link@Sheraton Wifi for free while staying in the room. This means to me that the Wifi Network is very strong and of good quality.

Please be assured that our employees work a lot but only a max. of 42 hours per week according to Swiss law. Maybe you only saw the same employee over and over again during your visit and remembered him/her because of the friendly service.

On behalf of the whole staff I would like to say thank you for staying at our hotel and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Warm regards,

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

This hotel was a small Sheraton hotel located close to the train station. I had written ahead to let them know we were celebrating our 25th anniversary. I had previously received confirmation we had been booked into a junior suite although upon arrival was informwd this was a "mistake" as the girl that said that was new and we had been instead given a classic room. The manager on duty did upgrade us to a superior room without extra charge and gave us 500 starwoods point bonus and free breakfast. The room was nice although not what we anticipated and faced an outside courtyard view. As a platinum member I had read all the reviews of being treated with upgrades and extra perks.The manager on duty was nice and did send us champagne and fruit but I also felt extra compementary things are given to all platinums such as breakfast and free cocktail when made feel we were being treated to something SPECIAL.Staff was nice and helpful and room ok. I expected more after reading previous reviews.......

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pieter-van-Beugen, Manager at Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Pollywally1,

thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor!

I would like to apologize for the unpleasant situation regarding the suite. Due to our internal failure we confirmed your suite night award although all our suites were booked for your date of arrival. I fully understand that this was very annoying especially as it was your 25th anniversary trip.

Regarding the treats for our valued platinum guests you are right, we do what we can to give them a special feeling. In a 60 room property however it isn´t always easy to upgrade all although we really try. As the hotel doesn´t feature a club lounge you are right that our platinum guests get a free cocktail at the bar. Breakfast however isn´t free unless chosen for as platinum welcome amenity instead of the points, you in this case got both as an apology for the suite mistake.

I would like to apologize again for the failure we made and thank you for your review and for staying with us on your anniversary trip. I really hope to welcome you back at some time in the future.

Warm regards,

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Got upgraded to a junior suite, which was great. Fantastic downtown location close to the lake. Outstanding breakfast buffet. Friendly service in the reception. Didn't use any other facilities, but left the hotel with a happy feeling. More of a business hotel than a place I would come for a weekend though.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business